SASS Wire Forum

Sandbagging

Subdeacon Joe

I thought this was going to be about some folks that work at my agency. :blink:

If being a sandbagger were a full time job I have seen some real pros in my time. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

and how many Americans will now be out of a job because of another automated process?

It was designed with an eye towards flood relief agencies. Not too much of a comercial application as they are not super consistant in how much sand is in each bag and the bags are not sewn shut but are closed with a draw string.

In a disaster situation sand bag fillers are unpaid volunteers. If you were ever in the situation where 20 or 30 thousand sandbags are the difference between your property and rising flood waters, trust me you would pay a lot to have one.

Of course, the D1 is still in use today!

Cat Brules

In Fort Wayne in the early 80s it was school kids. I got to see President Reagan fly over as he coming in. He didn't throw many but he did some!!

I helped sandbag the Des Moines Waterworks in the flood of '93'. I thought that thing looked kinda slow compared to a bunch of volunteers. During the time I was there VP Al Gore came in for a visit/photo op. I was the one holding the bag and he was shoveling. The part where he hit me in the hands was edited out. He was apologetic. I'll give him credit after the photo op was done he stayed, worked hard, encouraged everyone and was thanking people for their hard work.

Archived