SASS Wire Forum

Spam. It’s what’s for dinner.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Definitely on the gas grille. No fan can get the odor out of the house. 

Uno hasn't figured that one out yet.  He does it while I'm on business travel because I won't allow it while I'm here.  We don't have a vent hood in this house so the odor lingers for weeks.  Yuck!!!

I LOVE Spam sliced thin and fried crisp like bacon. I've grilled it a bit and it's good too.

My dad served in the S. Pacific in WWII and pretty much wouldn't touch the stuff since he lived on it in the service. We used to camp a good bit, and after I fried it a few times he decided it was actually pretty good. Still wouldn't touch it right out of the can (I don't like it either).

JHC

My Dad was the gunnery officer on his destroyer in the South Pacific. He had a lot of Spam, dehydrated eggs, canned vegetables, etc. Once, when he had come home after the war, we were having breakfast. our old cook had passed away and our new one was in the kitchen. He served my Dad some Spam and eggs. My dad politely asked for the can. When he got it , he hurled it right through the window and yelled, "There'll never be any more Spam in the house."

We only had fresh vegetables, a salad at every meal and NOTHING ever in a can!!!   :D

You have to do your SPAM underground too. Mrs. Lose was on a trip to Europe with one of the daughters and I had SPAM many times while she was gone. Enjoyed every bite.

Petey asked for it recently.  Spam slices on top of barbequed beans, spread with mustard & topped with a slice of pineapple.  I am a good wife...

Remember last November when they had that limited run of pumpkin spice-flavored Spam?  I tried to get some, but it sold out in record time.

Cat Brules 

I like Spam, sliced thin and stacked on plain white bread with sliced Vidalia onions!!  Every time they come out with a new flavor I try it, some are okay, some are downright nasty, like the teriyaki.  Spam hash and fried eggs with black coffee for breakfast, Yummm.

Use to love it and pork and beans at deer camp and sometimes at home.  However, now the heavy salt and preservative load will put me dang near in the ER for skyrocketing BP.  I can't eat my beloved viennie sausage or not dogs for the same reason!

Sliced thin and fried crispy like bacon is something I've not tried but by golly it sounds good!

Does Jack-the-Attack-Lab manage to keep Spam down?  My dogs have always loved to eat fried Spam but, shortly thereafter, run to the back yard and vomit it up.  Seemed to be too rich for their digestive tract.

I still share when making Spam sandwiches. . . Just keep the back door open.

23 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If Spam was all there was to eat I would give it to you fine folks. 

I'm right with ya' there Pat !!!

13 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

I like Spam, sliced thin and stacked on plain white bread with sliced Vidalia onions!!  Every time they come out with a new flavor I try it, some are okay, some are downright nasty, like the teriyaki.  Spam hash and fried eggs with black coffee for breakfast, Yummm.

Mustard, mayo, lettuce, thin slices of onions with the Spam.  Or add it to a grilled cheese sandwich.  
Also, as others have said, fried or grilled on white bread with mustard and lettuce.

Spam is like roast coot. Clean it, stuff with aromatic vegetables, cover it with clay, place in the oven at 500 degrees, cook for two hours slice open the clay, throw out the coot and you have two nice ash trays.

Spam Musubi

"Spam Musubi is a popular snack in Hawaii.

Ingredients

2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice

2 cups water

6 tablespoons rice vinegar

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup oyster sauce

1/2 cup white sugar

1 (12 ounce) container Spam)

5 sheets sushi nori (dry seaweed)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

Soak uncooked rice for 4 hours; drain and rinse.

In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar, and set aside to cool.

In a separate bowl, stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Slice Spam  lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook slices for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat work surface. Place a rice press in the center of the sheet, and press rice tightly inside. Top with a slice of Fried Spam and remove press. Wrap nori around rice mold, sealing edges with a small amount of water. (Rice may also be formed by hand in the shape of the meat slices, 1 inch thick.) Musubi may be served warm or chilled.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2020 Allrecipes.com
Printed From Allrecipes.com 1/27/2020

Japanese Spam Musubi Mold

31vFDoBJvLL.jpg

Archived