SASS Wire Forum

Headed Winter Range What is there to see along the way?

Asa Smith

Coming from the Kansas City area and looking to see things along the way, coming and going.

Would like to see Cowboy/Western history gems along the way.

What advise do you have?

Asa

If you go through Winslow, Az you can go stand on a corner...

;)

I always take the train to the Grand Canyon. Once, it was covered with snow. That was awesome. Slow down, during that trip, I saw a half dozen cars withnSouthern license plates scrambled all over the highway.  :D

If you go I40 the quarter horse museum in Amarillo is nice. Also the panhandle plains museum just south of Amarillo is great. Hope to see you at Winter Range. 

Be Safe

Jax T

Between Winslow and Flagstaff, you can take a short detour and visit the Meteor Crater, if you're into that kind of thing. Enjoy Winter Range, it's a great shoot.

Irish Tom.

You're going to one of the greatest places in the US---SOUTHERN ARIZONA!! 

Without pondering too hard--

Kitt Peak

Old Tucson

Desert Museum

Meteor Crater

Grand Canyon

Tombstone

[Almost] rust-free old cars

GREAT SCENERY

GREAT FOLKS

And a weekend cowboy shoot on about every corner.

What route are you going to take?  I usually take I-40 across northern Arizona and then turn south at Flagstaff.  Hubbells Trading Post National Monument is worth a visit.  I also like the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff.  In New Mexico I recommend Fort Union along I-25 in northern New Mexico.  Lincoln, New Mexico where Billy the Kid achieved infamy could be along your route.  Wild Bunch shooters should all make a pilgrimage to Pancho Villa State Park in Columbus, New Mexico.  Oh, and stop in Amarillo in front of the Big Texan steakhouse for a selfie.

Be flexible on your route.  Flagstaff can have blizzard conditions and I-10 in southern Arizona and New Mexico is prone to intense dust storms.  

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

If you go through Winslow, Az you can go stand on a corner...

;)

Been there that!!!

The Ford they have is way to modern....

2 hours ago, Jax T said:

If you go I40 the quarter horse museum in Amarillo is nice. Also the panhandle plains museum just south of Amarillo is great. Hope to see you at Winter Range. 

Be Safe

Jax T

Those both sound good... thanks for the info.

I think the Goodnight ranch is around there also...

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

What route are you going to take?  I usually take I-40 across northern Arizona and then turn south at Flagstaff.  Hubbells Trading Post National Monument is worth a visit.  I also like the Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff.  In New Mexico I recommend Fort Union along I-25 in northern New Mexico.  Lincoln, New Mexico where Billy the Kid achieved infamy could be along your route.  Wild Bunch shooters should all make a pilgrimage to Pancho Villa State Park in Columbus, New Mexico.  Oh, and stop in Amarillo in front of the Big Texan steakhouse for a selfie.

Be flexible on your route.  Flagstaff can have blizzard conditions and I-10 in southern Arizona and New Mexico is prone to intense dust storms.  

All good info.

This the second year we are going.

Flagstaff had 39 inches of snow last year while we were in Phoenix, thankfully it melted enough to not be an issue on the way back.

Hoping for better weather this year, got the "Hail yes!" pin last year!

Thanks

2 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

You're going to one of the greatest places in the US---SOUTHERN ARIZONA!! 

Without pondering too hard--

Kitt Peak

Old Tucson

Desert Museum

Meteor Crater

Grand Canyon

Tombstone

[Almost] rust-free old cars

GREAT SCENERY

GREAT FOLKS

And a weekend cowboy shoot on about every corner.

Will look into them...

Thanks!

Asa,

the Goodnight ranch and home is about 35 miles southeast of Amarillo. Well worth the trip. They also have a store there with lots of buffalo products, boots, jackets and other stuff. 

Jax T

Prescott.  Walk along Whiskey Row and eat/drink in the Palace Saloon. While there look at the historical photos and items, and check out the bullet holes in the tin ceiling. You will also want to see Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, and Jerome. The Desert Botanical Gardens in Phx is cool.

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

Prescott.  Walk along Whiskey Row and eat/drink in the Palace Saloon. While there look at the historical photos and items, and check out the bullet holes in the tin ceiling. You will also want to see Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, and Jerome. The Desert Botanical Gardens in Phx is cool.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and check out Phippen Museum on HWY 89 going into Prescott.

17 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Hope you and Insanity Jane have a great time. 

Thanks Drifter

You coming to Classic Cowboy showdown in Iowa?

18 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Try not to get lost....Or fall into big hole in the ground....And pull out your AAA book and look at it....It will tell you what is here...Or along the way....

Texas Lizard

Yo Lizard sent you a PM ref 97.

Joe

If you pass thru Wickenburg, stop and walk around the main part of town.  The sidewalks are decorated with some of the best full size bronze Western/Cowboy historical sculptures you will ever see.  Absolutely incredible detail!!  Worth the +- hour walk to see them.  

If you're traveling on Rt 40, it's about 20 minutes from the Edgewood NM exit to see Founders Ranch.  Call me at 505-934-2533, and with some advance notice I'd be glad to give you a tour even if we're not open at the time (normal hours Wed-Sun 10 to 3).

1 hour ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Asa are you coming to the Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl award dinner?

I have not made the plans yet but did last year and am going to try again this year.

Are you going to be there?
Asa

32 minutes ago, Asa Smith said:

I have not made the plans yet but did last year and am going to try again this year.

Are you going to be there?
Asa

Yes, my daughter and I are going this time. Hope to see ya there. 

You got the whole lotta Route 66 to check out.!

Get off the I40 onto the old road in some of the towns, like Clinton in OK, great car museums, Santa Rosa in NM, Tucumcarrie in NM, cadillacs just west of Amarillo. 

OK has the longest stretch of Route 66 too. Nice old western hotel in Gallop lots of movie stars does ol west movies stayed there, and a good meal.

13 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

If you pass thru Wickenburg, stop and walk around the main part of town.  The sidewalks are decorated with some of the best full size bronze Western/Cowboy historical sculptures you will ever see.  Absolutely incredible detail!!  Worth the +- hour walk to see them.  

Yep :lol:

Bronze Cowboy

Archived