SASS Wire Forum

Aussie question

Alpo

I'm reading a book written in 1976. In the book some Aussies are going to New Zealand, and don't need their passport.

"...but for Jik and Sarah they were unnecessary, as passage between New Zealand and Australia was as unrestricted as between England and Ireland."

In 1976 we didn't need a passport to go to Canada or Mexico, but now we do. Times change.

Do Aussies need a passport, now, to go to New Zealand?

I also wonder if Brits now need one to go to Ireland?

36 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm reading a book written in 1976. In the book some Aussies are going to New Zealand, and don't need their passport.

"...but for Jik and Sarah they were unnecessary, as passage between New Zealand and Australia was as unrestricted as between England and Ireland."

In 1976 we didn't need a passport to go to Canada or Mexico, but now we do. Times change.

I also wonder if Brits now need one to go to Ireland?

Currently brits and Ireland are eurozone. But after Brexit ??

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

We do mate, but we do not need a Visa, same for Kiwi's coming to Australia.

There's a Trans Tasman agreement which is a bi-lateral travel agreement between the countries.

Way to many earthquakes in New Zealand for me..I know they could happen anywhere & we've had some in Aus but Kiwi land is having it's fair share lately !!

Beautiful country & been there for short stays, that's enough for me..just sayin.

Prior to 9/11 crossing into the U.S. from Canada was easy peasy.  Conversation at the border went like this:

U.S.  customs   -Citizens of what country?

Me -  Canada

U.S. - Where were you born?

Me  - Calgary, Alberta

U.S.  - Where are you going?

Me  - Great Falls

U.S. - For how long?

Me  - 3 days

U.S. - Business or pleasure?

Me  - Pleasure

U.S.  - Have a nice trip.

Back in the 1950's/60's, there was an unmanned border crossing in SW Alberta,  there were no buildings on either side, only a sign that said, You are now entering the United States, report to U.S. Customs at (street address) in Havre, Montana.  It was 45 miles to Havre from that border crossing.

Ahh...the good old days, gone forever.

12 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Way to many earthquakes in New Zealand for me..I know they could happen anywhere & we've had some in Aus but Kiwi land is having it's fair share lately !!

Beautiful country & been there for short stays, that's enough for me..just sayin.

So, it's like California but the people talk funnier?

I spent too many times knocked on my ass playing rugby in both countries. I was involved in the Americas Cup years ago as the commodore of the US skippers club and was introduced to the commodore of the Royal Perth (I think) Yacht Club. They pointed to a guy dressed in white shorts, long socks and a short sleeved shirt passed out on the club lawn and said "and this is our commodore". :D

Whether it's rugby or sailing, Australians and New Zealanders don't screw around when it comes to beer drinking!!!  :lol:

Isn't it strange that I not only need a passport to leave or return to my country of birth, but now I need a special little Christmas star on my drivers license to get on a plane or leave the country...and I need a birth certificate to get that.  I don't have one...a star nor a birth certificate.  They won't accept my registration of birth from the State of Oregon given to my parents when I was born.  Uncle sam accepted it over nearly eighty years and allowed me access to Top Secret documents, travel  overseas with out a passport, and had me travel but land, air, and sea to a dozen or so countries... and even to California, Illinois, and New York.

It's getting to be as bad as Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union et al.  "Your papers, Comrade!!!"

BTW, none of this particularly applies to me personally because I can't see any future urgency that will cause me to get an an airplane nor even leave Arizona again as long as I live.

My second to last passport was so thick with extra pages that it wouldn't fit in my pocket. My last one did not have a single stamp in it. I didn't bother to renew it. Now, I have a Star card for Canada which is only a few miles away and where I shoot in four of their provinces.

I no longer go East of Minnesota, avoid Kalifornia and stay safely in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I traveled for the Corps and for work. Now, I DON"T TRAVEL!!!!  :-)

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Isn't it strange that I not only need a passport to leave or return to my country of birth, but now I need a special little Christmas star on my drivers license to get on a plane or leave the country...and I need a birth certificate to get that.  I don't have one...a star nor a birth certificate.  They won't accept my registration of birth from the State of Oregon given to my parents when I was born.  Uncle sam accepted it over nearly eighty years and allowed me access to Top Secret documents, travel  overseas with out a passport, and had me travel but land, air, and sea to a dozen or so countries... and even to California, Illinois, and New York.

It's getting to be as bad as Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union et al.  "Your papers, Comrade!!!"

BTW, none of this particularly applies to me personally because I can't see any future urgency that will cause me to get an an airplane nor even leave Arizona again as long as I live.

Dang FR..here I was thinkin' you were gunna change your mind & come on down-under for a shot..Ya' still welcome !

Archived