SASS Wire Forum

Anyone with experience as a desk clerk?

Alpo

Seen this both ways in books and movies and TV.

I call the hotel. "Is Hardpan Curmudgeon staying there?" YES SIR. "What room is he in?" HE IS IN 472. Or I'M SORRY, WE DON'T GIVE OUT THAT INFORMATION. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO CONNECT YOU?, Which lets Hardpan be the dummy that gives his room number to the burglar.

So which were they more likely to do? Give the number, or refuse?

Refuse to divulge the room number, but offer to take a message

The house may even refuse to confirm or deny that he is even staying there.

Cat Brules

We've asked at hotel rooms before if so and so was staying there for a cowboy shoot. The clerks have always given me their room number.

Pretty sure most hotels/motels have a policy about giving room numbers out. They’ll connect you but not tell you what room someone is in.

I have been in hotels for work related stuff and when I asked about a cow-orker, the desk always gave me their room number.  Same is true with a fancy place where we went for a wedding and I was looking for family.  In both cases I always assumed they gave it up because they could tell we were in the same party.  That's what I have to tell myself to get to sleep at night. 

On 1/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, Ramblin Gambler said:

I have been in hotels for work related stuff and when I asked about a cow-orker, the desk always gave me their room number.  Same is true with a fancy place where we went for a wedding and I was looking for family.  In both cases I always assumed they gave it up because they could tell we were in the same party.  That's what I have to tell myself to get to sleep at night. 

Good point, which is why they always tell me the room number of the other cowboy shooters that have signed up.

I did prisoner intake at the county lockup a few times.  Never got asked if someone was in cellblock B or the like.  Of course, never got cavity searched at the Embassy Suites either.  Life is full of trade offs.

Archived