SASS Wire Forum

Ok you AR-15 builders...need input....

JD Lud

Most of my AR shooting has been in the military with a few varmint rigs in the past.  A while ago on a whim I bought an AAC MPW carbine in 300 Blackout.  I shot maybe 30 rounds in it, just enough to site in a red dot with some handloads.  Anyways, I was cleaning the other day and found this, not running suppressed so really no use in keeping it and thinking about getting a different upper for it.

A few questions as again I have only bought full rifles (or recently a Saint pistol).  If I take off the 300 upper and get a 223 Wylde upper, I can remove the BCG and CH from the 300 upper and utilize with any other upper assembly for 223/5.56 as plug and play, correct?  Should be no need to adjust anything as barrel and receiver should be already done?   The only thing I may need to do is adjust buffer weight, spring, or gas if cycling issues... The AAC MPW has a Geissle trigger in it and some nice features, and the bolt is a pretty high end one as well so no need to buy an upper with them if I don't have to.

Here are a couple I was looking at for a spring P-dog trip and just general paper whenever time allows.  Im leading toward the Palmetto build with FN barrel and the wylde chamber but curious on your thoughts.  I have a few 16" ARs laying around in the box so not looking for mil spec, just a bit more velocity and some better accuracy.  Thanks, and as always any suggestions fire away....

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-ss410-18-rifle-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-15-handguard-1-8-twist/#product-reviews

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-chf-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-8-15-geissele-mk14-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

I'm thinking your buffer should be OK too. Should be plug and play. I've done business with Palmetto in the past and they are very helpful. It sounds like your doing fine though.

Theoretically only the barrel and flash hider is different between a .300 Blackout AR and an equivalent in .223. In practice some conversions might need a little tweaking of the gas system, buffer, and/or magazines for maximum reliability. In a perfect world however you should only need to swap barreled uppers to change calibers.

Howdy,

You might look up R Guns and give them a call during normal budnizz hours.

Ive dealt with them as they took in cowboy style guns and priced em right.

Best

CR

Thanks all.  I went ahead and ordered the Bravo Company 18" 410 stainless one.  Primary Arms had it in stock, and they are gracious enough to give a 10% discount to military...filled out the form late last night and they emailed me approval this morning so the service seems to be there as well.

Appreciate the help!

If you are shooting subsonic I suggest you buy 300BO mags.  The bullet shape of the 190-240 grain bullets likely will not feed reliably from 223/5.56 mags.  It isn't an issue for supersonic ammo.

Im going to get rid of all 300 blackout stuff, so no confusion as I don't have any other rifles.  I plan to sell the upper, dies, bullets, and ammo that's left so no chance for confusion.

I would have never thought the 300 would chamber in a 223....doesnt seem logical but it makes me want to try it :)  I could see a 223 chambering in the 300....

It seems very counter intuitive that a 300 black out will chamber in the smaller diameter 223 chamber.  Turns out that the larger bullet is far enough back that it clears the shoulder in the 223 round.  Might be hard to close, but it will close.  I was surprised that you can fire it and the bullet will go down the barrel.  This is one of those cases Where I can learn from others mistakes.  

the other way around isn’t an issue as the 223 bullet will easily make it out the barrel.   Won’t have any accuracy, but it won’t do any damage either. 

21 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Im going to get rid of all 300 blackout stuff, so no confusion as I don't have any other rifles.  I plan to sell the upper, dies, bullets, and ammo that's left so no chance for confusion.

I would have never thought the 300 would chamber in a 223....doesnt seem logical but it makes me want to try it :)  I could see a 223 chambering in the 300....

I keep separate magazines clearly marked for both calibers and as already mentioned you can mark your uppers as well to avoid confusion; the easiest way is laser engraved ejection port covers.

Your choice of course but I think it's a fairly small risk if you take appropriate precautions.

23 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

If you are shooting subsonic I suggest you buy 300BO mags.  The bullet shape of the 190-240 grain bullets likely will not feed reliably from 223/5.56 mags.  It isn't an issue for supersonic ammo.

This.

Originally we were told that 5.56 and 300 Blackout could use the same magazine. Well, almost. In many cases it will work fine but I have discovered especially with Magpul magazines (who do now make a dedicated 300 Blackout magazine) they tend to run more reliably with the 300 Blackout ammo. Especially the heavier bullets.  In my experience a brand new magazine works fine but as the magazine cycles over and over and over and perhaps the spring gets a little weaker or just gets a little more flex to it there can be a problem with 300 Blackout heavy bullets feeding reliably out of a 5.56 magazine.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:17 AM, Still hand Bill said:

It seems very counter intuitive that a 300 black out will chamber in the smaller diameter 223 chamber.  Turns out that the larger bullet is far enough back that it clears the shoulder in the 223 round.  Might be hard to close, but it will close.  I was surprised that you can fire it and the bullet will go down the barrel.  This is one of those cases Where I can learn from others mistakes.  

the other way around isn’t an issue as the 223 bullet will easily make it out the barrel.   Won’t have any accuracy, but it won’t do any damage either. 

You can NOT fire it safely, and the bullet will NOT go down the barrel; the upper will explode. There are tons of pictures and stories about this out there. You MUST be extremely careful to not chamber .300BO in a 5.56.

300boina556.webp fired300ina556.webp

Here is the new upper installed....I have a VXR patrol laying around with TMR reticle I might throw on it...perhaps a mount with a rail on the ring to stack a reflex too. 

trijicon accupower 1-8 looks interesting..

1E007D50-83D3-429A-AB6D-0AC956683864.jpeg

Archived