SASS Wire Forum

New Guns in MA

I complain regularly about MA gun laws that restrict what we can buy here.  We have a "list" of approved guns; if it ain't on "The List", you can't sell it or buy it.

So today is not a complaint day; MA has added some new guns to The List, which are now available for purchase (if you can find one):

They include:

Kimber Stainless Target II - 1911 style, with adjustable rear sight - 5" and 6" slide versions -  in .45 ACP and 9 mm - the first Kimbers approved for sale here;

Ruger Wrangler .22LR - in 3 colors

S&W EZ Shield 9 mm - w or w/o thumb safety 

I'm not running out to buy anything, but it's a good sign when more guns enter the shops.

LL

3 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

I would never like to have that much intrusion by the government into my firearm choice.  Hopefully our cowboy guns have already made "the list".

Ah...not many.  No Colts.  No cartridge Italians.   We're pretty much limited to Rugers and cap guns, unless you can find others that were provably owned by a MA resident before the restrictions went into effect (10/21/1998).  And if you do, you will pay dearly for it. 

Guard your rights while you have them.

LL

PS  I know someone will bring it up - S&W Performance Center Schofields are also OK.

1 minute ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Ah...not many.  No Colts.  No cartridge Italians.   We're pretty much limited to Rugers and cap guns, unless you can find others that were provably owned by a MA resident before the restrictions went into effect (10/21/1998).  And if you do, you will pay dearly for it. 

Guard your rights while you have them.

LL

PS  I know someone will bring it up - S&W Performance Center Schofields are also OK.

Rugers but no Colts? No cartridge Italians?  What is the fear? That some cowboy will turn a SAA into an automatic? A lever gun having too much capacity?  C'mon what are they thinking?  

My hats off to those that can live in a state that can get away with such things.  For me I love the fact that MS has common sense and reasonable gun laws.  

Now try to spell Mississippi without singing it.  LOL

Loophole, we have some new additions in California as well. I was especially interested to see the Charter 2000 9mm Pitbull. There are 3 more Taurus revolvers on the list. I just took a screenshot. 

9F50BD80-FFCB-44CB-9226-8BF1EBF1B5FE.thumb.jpeg.c33bed04834dd381070d32c060621e3f.jpeg

The guns you listed above are available here as well except the Ruger Wranglers aren’t on a list. All single action revolvers are okay. They don’t need to be on a list...yet. 

When I saw the list of guns “recently removed” I almost had a conniption until I looked at the Approved list.
https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/de-certified-handguns

The list gets updated every January. Apparently they take last year’s list and delete the whole thing then post the new approved list. The new list is pretty much identical to the old list. 
https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

My guess is that some minion in the DOJ has an Excel spreadsheet with each year’s lists on them and they just cut and paste the pages into the LOVs for the website. 

Loophole, how many Ruger semiautomatic pistols are available in Massachusetts? We literally have “one” on the list. A Ruger LC380 that has the loaded chamber indicator, and a magazine safety. It’s apparently bigger than the LCP. It’s called an “LC380CA”.

A bit miffed at Ruger for bailing out on California customers. 

28 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Loophole, how many Ruger semiautomatic pistols are available in Massachusetts? We literally have “one” on the list. A Ruger LC380 that has the loaded chamber indicator, and a magazine safety. It’s apparently bigger than the LCP. It’s called an “LC380CA”.

The LC380 and LC9 are the same frame size. You can convert one to the other by changing the barrel, recoil spring and magazine.

30 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pat sounds like you are blaming Ruger for CA's restrictive gun laws.

kR

Approved Roster ("The List") is attached.

I just can't figure this thing out.  I have two Ruger Vaquero Birdsheads - the originals, not the "New".  They were on the List when I bought them; now they are nowhere to be seen.  Were they de-listed for some reason?  I don't know.

The List is very specific.  If the precise model is not there, it is not approved for sale.  If it only lists the SS version, forget about buying a blued version.  I wanted a pair of Montados - not on the List.  I wanted a pair of Talo Vaqueros - not on the List.  Is there any real difference between these and other Vaqueros?  I don't know.

A gun can't make the List unless the manufacturer submits it to an approved testing lab for "safety testing", including a drop test.  It's a destructive test, and it has to be performed on every variation of each model if you want to sell all of them.  Ruger initially told us that we could not get the smaller-market varieties (like Montados) because there were not enough likely purchasers in MA to justify destroying a bunch of guns to get the approval.  The drop test is often cited as the reason that non-transfer bar revolvers (like Colts) are not submitted for testing.  At any rate, no Colts and no clones.

And EMF has now decided that they will not ship cap guns directly to MA residents; they need to go to an FFL.  Why?

Wait; I promised this was not a day of complaints.  

Approved%20Firearms%20Roster%2012-2019_2.pdf

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

Pat sounds like you are blaming Ruger for CA's restrictive gun laws.

kR

Kid, sounds like you are reading things into my statement. 

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Approved Roster ("The List") is attached.

Thanks Loophole. You will be happy to know that MA’s list has many more firearms than the CA list, so ya got that going for ya. :D

I swear, the creators of auto correct must be hunted down and chastised. 

It's called death by a thousand cuts. They've tried and failed to simply cut our heads off, so instead they pass one "reasonable" restriction after another until either they reach their goal or make it such a PITA to own guns that most people won't bother with it. None of these laws are meant to go after the root causes of gun-related violence.

A couple days ago in Seattle there was a bad gang-related shooting downtown where a bunch of innocent bystanders got killed or wounded. The perps have a total of 65 arrests and four felony convictions between them, including drive-by shootings and armed robbery. Both are just 24 years old. And yet they are still out on the street, committing more mayhem? But folks, they are not the problem. Law-abiding citizens with too many guns in their safes are.

17 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

It is sad that a color can be the disqualifying factor.

It's the failure of the manufacturer to submit that variation for testing that causes the disqualification, not just the fact that it's a different finish.  Splitting hairs, I know; but there's no reason to believe that an otherwise identical gun would fail the testing just because it's blued.  So I fault both the Commonwealth for imposing such an illogical requirement, and the manufacturers for not testing.

LL

CA does the color silliness as well. 

Think about it. The people doing these regulations and lists are petrified by “black” guns so it would would only make sense to these dipsticks to make color a criteria. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:23 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

All mfg's quit submitting auto's when the CA DOJ said microstamping was commercially available.  When that happened all new submissions have to have the feature.  Ruger & other mfg's sued in the 9th Circus re CA safe handgun law.  The Judge ruled that as long as 1 handgun was available for sale there was no unconstitutional infringement on the peoples right to keep arms.  So, until SCOTUS grants cert on a safe handgun or EBR case, residents in CA have to move to a free state or receive a gift from your parents or child who live in a free state of the handgun you want that isn't on the list.  Of course the gift has to be transfered through a CA FFL.

Our Government .

Key word Our Government !

They have been over stepping the boundaries for a long time .

Only way to change it .

Is at the Voting booth ! 

And it's time to change it :FlagAm:

On 1/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Or the AG or the Gov told them to list as many variations as possible to make the testing exorbitantly expensive and discourage as many listings as they can.  It’s all a game for them.

It's pretty much a money thing. For every model that has to be tested its like $10k. Same model different barrel length...new test. What's limiting the availability is manufacturers not submitting models thinking the people would overthrow the law. Many have since changed their minds.

Idaho Gun Laws: Huh, what?????   :D

Archived