SASS Wire Forum

32 Cal Revolvers (New)

Col Del Rio

Cimarron Model P Jr and Lightning with birdshead grip.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/single-actions/lightning-model-p-jr.html

Taylor's and Company carry the Stallion that's the same size gun but only available in 38 Special.   One could load a light load in 38 Short Colt case.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/stallion-revolver.html

I'm guessing while these are still cataloged,  none are in stock.

I think Heritage is marketing  a Birds head 32 H&R Mag .

Made by Pietta .

Rooster 

I would suggest following the suggestion already given. Get a set of the Model P Jr's in 38sp. Lightly loaded 38's with a 105gr or even 90gr bullet will have negligible recoil and components are much more plentiful than 32's.

There are also used Ruger Single Sixes on auction sites.  My wife shoots these.  They are robust, well-made revolvers.  While once-fired, 38 Special brass is readily available at bargain prices, Starline sells .32 H&R mag cases for 16-cents each.  The cost is not prohibitive and availablity is good.  Many casters sell .32 caliber lead bullets. 

Here is my #1 most important suggestion on selecting guns for your wife. Don't.   

Take her shopping at big gun shops (not Cabelas or Bass Pro)  and let her handle the guns. Go to gun shows. Go to matches and let her find the guns she wants.

The little frame guns even with light loads have a sharp recoil due to their light weight. 

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

Here is my Cimarron Lightning in 32/32WCF.   Even light load in 32S&W have a sharp recoil.

19 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Here is my #1 most important suggestion on selecting guns for your wife. Don't.   

Take her shopping at big gun shops (not Cabelas or Bass Pro)  and let her handle the guns. Go to gun shows. Go to matches and let her find the guns she wants.

The little frame guns even with light loads have a sharp recoil due to their light weight. 

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

19 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Here is my Cimarron Lightning in 32/32WCF.   Even light load in 32S&W have a sharp recoil.

I was really surprised at the recoil of the 32 in the smaller light weight guns.  Something to consider...

When my daughter went from rimfires to Model P Jr .38's, she was a little scared by those "big" cases :lol: so I loaded 'em with a 70 grain .360" round ball at first. She started with 3 1/2"ers, but the short sight radius resulted in a lot of misses, so I sold them and bought 5 1/2"ers instead. She did MUCH better with the longer barrels. 

1 hour ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

I was really surprised at the recoil of the 32 in the smaller light weight guns.  Something to consider...

That's seems like a good reason to spend the effort looking for Ruger SS.  The heavier frame does a better job of dampening recoil.  When fitted with the Bisley style lowered hammers, they're both good looking and easy on small hands.  

I agree with most of the advice given....ESPECIALLY that she get revolvers chambered in .357Magnum or .38Special.

- The .38Special loads, light bullet/light powder load, will provide a large range of loading possibilities.

- A .357Mag/.38Special revolver is heavier (smaller bore) even than a .45 revolver, because the .38 barrel is thicker.  Low-loaded .38’s will have negligible recoil in such a “regular” .38 firearm.  Plus, you can buy powder-coated, colored bullets that will make it simple to readily distinguish the lightly-loaded “mouse” ammo.  It’s a good way to go.

Cat Brules

20 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I agree with most of the advice given....ESPECIALLY that she get revolvers chambered in .357Magnum or .38Special.

- The .38Special loads, light bullet/light powder load, will provide a large range of loading possibilities.

- A .357Mag/.38Special revolver is heavier (smaller bore) even than a .45 revolver, because the .38 barrel is thicker.  Low-loaded .38’s will have negligible recoil in such a “regular” .38 firearm.  Plus, you can buy powder-coated, colored bullets that will make it simple to readily distinguish the lightly-loaded “mouse” ammo.  It’s a good way to go.

Cat Brules

It's hard for men to understand, but for a petite woman, the added weight of even slightly larger frames is unwieldy.  Shortening barrels reduces weight greatly, but has its own downsides.  The. 32 represents a good compromise. 

My wife is pretty tiny (her wrist is about the size of two of my fingers).  She found the .32 to be very workable with 78 or 95 gn bullets.  She also found that slip hammering enables her to hang on more tightly with all four fingers of her strong hand, not having to flex her index finger.  She actually shoots quite well that way. 

Consider 38 Long Colt. I am loaded up and ready to try my first match switching to 38 Colt in model P Jr clones. I have a 32 S&W Long, non-SASS and can say that the 38 Colt I tested seemed like the 32s. I could also use 125 grain bullets that are easy to find at competitive prices. All my new die set was, compared to my 38 Special set, was a different seat/crimp die. Yes, my rifle will be using a different cartridge.

The 2004 Special Edition/Limited Edition Ruger .32 H&R/.32-20 stainless convertible revolvers were built on the original Vaquero frame, so they're a bit big & heavy and also quite expensive - count on $2500 - $3000 for a pair in decent shape. The Single Six was .32 H&R mag only, because the cylinder wasn't long enough for the .32-20. There was a good used blued one that sold on Gunbroker two days ago for $455, shipped. (852293989)

15 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I think the Model P Jr. is available in a convertible .32 H&R mag/.32-20.

Good luck finding one let alone a pair they are rare as hen's teeth

18 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Ruger makes a Single Six in 32 cal for Lipsey's.  The Ruger is lighter than any model P junior.

I looked and only saw a 6 1/2" barrel Bisley in a Lipsey's 32 H&R. I had a couple Single Sevens and have two Uberti Model P Jr clones and certainly think of the Ubertis as the smaller guns. The Cimarron with the Lightning grip is the 38 Colt/38 Special in 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 barrels. The Taylors Stallion Bird head is a Uberti Model P Jr with much more palm swell than the Lightning style grip, so I would favor the Cimarron Lightning for small hands.

You will find what you are looking for.  

Put a “Want To Buy” (WTB) ad in the SASS Wire Classifieds section here asking for the revolvers you are looking for.  keep “bumping” the ad back to the top by putting. “BTP” reply in the ad, if you don’t get any immediate success.  Something will turn up, and your WTB Ad may shake out a pair from someone who has them stashed in his safe.

Cat Brules

buy 38s and load down to what she likes , do let her try a few - it may surprise you what she says she likes - she will shoot them after all , you just have to load for it , 

Four of my "loaner" revolvers are .38 S& W Specials. The single action "Lightnings" have 3-1/2" barrels. I load them very lightly so they have zero recoil. The Ruger OM pair have 5-1/2" barrels and are loaded with the same super light loads. Every newbie finds the Rugers easier to shoot and actually hit the targets. :D Hopefully, they have started quite a few in CAS. :)

22 hours ago, 40Chev said:

Good luck finding one let alone a pair they are rare as hen's teeth

We just had five in... should have told me you were still looking.. all sold in a day

IMHO, always use the revolver ammo in the rifle. Don't complicate things!  :rolleyes:  A lightly loaded 12 will do the trick. I use .410sand 20 gauges for Scouts in CAS. I have found that the 12s usually have less recoil.  :)

My wife, Ms. Mary Matilda, shoots Ruger Single Action Six Shooters in .32 H&R Magnum and they are loaded plumb full of Holy Black Powder....   She also shoots a Marlin in .32 H&R Magnum as well...     If you can find a pair, used, get 'em if'n she likes them...

On 1/23/2020 at 11:07 PM, Col Del Rio said:

Are there any 32 caliber revolvers being made currently?  My wife, who is very petite, is thinking of trying CAS.

Have you asked the range master at your local club if she could shoot Buckaroo with 22s?  I'm betting our club would accommodate this. 

It'd be far more important to get her in the game than fighting for guns that are hard to get.  

Archived