SASS Wire Forum

WTB 19" Navy Arms Carbine Barrel 44-40

trvlrmn

Looking for a new barrel or used but in good shape. Prefer Navy Arms with integral front sight, rather than one that needs a barrel band sight. One from a different Uberti importer with integral front sight would be OK. Let me know if you have one to sell and price. Thank you. --Far Country Traveler

I've never seen a carbine with-out  barrel band sights. Does Uberti make one?

Thanks, Lawman. Has to be a 44-40/44 WCF.

Thanks, Doc. These barrels w/o front sights are available from several sources. Numrich seems most expensive. Trying to find one with staked/braised-on front sight.

Slim, all 1866 carbines I have seen have had barrel band-mounted front sights. Navy Arms imported 1873 carbines with a one-piece front sight mounted directly to the barrel behind the barrel band, soldered on or soldered and staked on. I know because I have owned three of them and still have two. I think most recent imports are specified with barrel band-mounted front sights. My research indicates that Winchester used both, beginning with the barrel band sights like they used on 1866s then switching at some point to the soldered on blocks. 

Thanks to all for suggestions and questions. --trvlr

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I've never seen a carbine with-out  barrel band sights. Does Uberti make one?

Neither had I until I bought my navy arms 73 carbine. It's an older one. Date code stamp puts it made in 1978.

Archived