SASS Wire Forum

Guns of famous people

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Just reading  another thread and realized that most old timers owned several guns over their lifetimes, maybe more than one at a time.  If they bought a new gun, did they carve the same number of notches on the new gun and continue the score, or did they start over at 1....and how would you be able to figure that out....and how would you know for sure how many guys got shot by the owner? 

It's past my supper time and I think my blood sugar needs a boost.  :o

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Would there have to be a background check for the transfer of notches?

:ph34r:

In my state it sure would be done...But would impound the said item while it was done....Can not have it on the streets....Someone might get hurt.....

Texas Lizard

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just reading  another thread and realized that most old timers owned several guns over their lifetimes, maybe more than one at a time.  If they bought a new gun, did they carve the same number of notches on the new gun and continue the score, or did they start over at 1....and how would you be able to figure that out....and how would you know for sure how many guys got shot by the owner? 

General Patton notched his Colt SAA .45 for the two men he killed with his Colt but didn't notch his S&W .357.  Patton got his S&W in 1935 and after he'd already notched his Colt.

In the Shooting USA video below, the part about Patton's Colt SAA and the notches starts at 5:50 minutes.

^_^

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Alpo Alert!!!!!!!!

LL

10 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

General Patton notched his Colt SAA .45 for the two men he killed with his Colt but didn't notch his S&W .357.  Patton got his S&W in 1935 and after he'd already notched his Colt.

In the Shooting USA video below, the part about Patton's Colt SAA and the notches starts at 5:50 minutes.

^_^

I've seen this several times and never get tired of it.

13 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

There was no transfer bar back then, so gunman usually would transfer the notches to a new gun.

I guess now, you can kill time and have a drink or two at the transfer bar, waiting for your new gun to receive notches.........

I've wondered that too. I always figured it was per gun unless they were just doing it to give themselves 'trail cred'. And in that case they can put as many as they want. 

People I know who notch their hunting guns only notch the gun they used to take the animal. 

26 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Later in his life, people would pester Bat Masterson and offer large sums of money for one his guns. Tiring of saying no, he would pick up a pistol at a local pawn or gun shop, carve a notch or two in it and sell it to the rube. 

A sucker is born every minute. 

Archived