SASS Wire Forum

97 shells stps

G W Wade

Messing around with my 97, found if I load the tube the 3 or 4 shell will drop out on the ground.  Tried goggling but can not find anything about shell stops except  check the screws and some talk about welding up worn stops. 1 Win and 1 IAC    Can not see any visible wear or burs on edges.    The IAC is almost new    Any advise or should I be looking at the diameter of the rim of the hulls.  I know some cheap hulls can give you trouble.  One friend was selling a 97 a couple of years ago but on the tag he said "If you stay away from Gun Clubs you will have a more harmonious outcome"      Thanks GW 

Start with cleaning. Could be weak springs. There are leaf springs behind the shell stops. Does this happen when you fire or they just fall out?

Mine has the opposite problem, it fails to feed based on what hulls I use.

Clean, clean, clean.   To get the shell stops out, you have to drop the carrier out first.   Almost new gun - it's probably dirty, not worn.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, but have had them out. Lightly stoned the edges for burrs  and polished.   Neither gun is dirty.  Orinial was when I got it.  So much dirt under left extractor it bent it  so it wouldn't engage the rim.      GW

51 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

May well have weak shell stop springs.

Are you using factory ammo?

OLG 

Some factory some reloads.  But usually cheaper factory like Estate or Gun Club.   Reloads are AA's     GW

For years "action jobs" on '97's included polishing the shell stops 'cause we didn't use 'em.  I've seen may guns that were polished, along with the sides of the carrier to the point were the stops either wouldn't hold the shells in the mag, or just the opposite where they wouldn't come out!  There are also 2 completely different types of shell stops, B&C prefex guns have one style, D's something else

23 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Thanks, but have had them out. Lightly stoned the edges for burrs  and polished.   Neither gun is dirty.  Orinial was when I got it.  So much dirt under left extractor it bent it  so it wouldn't engage the rim.      GW

maybe those edges shouldn’t have been lightly stoned and polished?

both shotguns had their shell stops stoned and polished = both won’t hold more than 3 or 4 rounds.  

Something is not making sense.  From the way the problem was described, the gun may not have any shell stops installed in it.  I’ve seen some very old, very dirty 97’s and the shell stops worked.  If you put shells in the magazine tube and they fall right out, it sounds as if there’s nothing there to stop them or even slow them down.  The shell stop screws may have loosened and fallen out,  or maybe he disassembled the two guns and did not reinstall the stops(?).  Two guns, same problem?

Cat Brules

Only 1 shell drops out when shooting with a full tube,  Usually the 3rd or 4th shell.     Never be brave ? enough to take 2 guns apart a same time   Really thinking is hull problems but was hoping there was something that could be tweaked, like the comment on bending the spring under the shell stop .    GW

15 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Some factory some reloads.  But usually cheaper factory like Estate or Gun Club.   Reloads are AA's     GW

97s eat Gun Clubs like candy on a regular basis, and although I’m not a big AA fan I haven’t ever seen rim dimension irregularities with them either. 
There have been some great suggestions on the shell stops already suggested above, great chance that is where your problem is hidden! ;)

Thanks for replies,  But busy doing some precooking this morning .  My 2 sons and I are leaving for a weekend of ice fishing (beer drinking for me)   Better off watching son catch fish.    Always said lucky I can shoot because I would starve if a fisherman     GW

WHATEVER you do, be careful to not damage or lose those tiny screws from the shell stops!!  If you remove the stops, I suggest you have a small plastic bag or small box to store the shell-stop assemblies in to prevent loss of the screws and shell stop parts, prior to reassembly.  Store each assembly individually; don’t mix parts and screws.

Cat Brules

I had something similar last weekend when I was test firing a new to me shotgun.  The rounds wouldn't stay in the magazine tube and got caught under the lifter.  Had to disassemble it to get them out.  Then I decided to fire it one shell at a time and the shells wouldn't eject.  After the second shot I realized I was shooting 16 ga shells in a 12 ga gun.  I looked at the fired shells and only then noticed the bulging brass.  Felt pretty stupid.  Dunno why I even have 16 ga slugs laying around. 

So umm, have you double checked the gauges of the gun and shells?

A "long" time ago … right after WBunch started … I bought an IAC 97 (from a friend) to participate (gun log shows 6/09). 

After replacing the magazine spring with a generic (smaller wire diameter) version I had no problem loading 6 shells. But …

I had the same problem as you … when loaded up … a few would pop out on their own  … etc ..

I originally thought I could fix the problem with (cartridge stop) spring tension but that wasn't the case … It all depended on how far the tips protruded out into the path of the shells.

Anyhow … not knowing what I would have to do … I replaced the left and right cartridge stops with real Winchester stops (so as not to hurt my originals) … You still have to use the Norinco/IAC screws.

I guess I can use the word "bend" here … cause that is what you do … "bend them".

Apparently, the original stops were never adjusted at all … We never load more than two at a time anyhow so that wasn't much of a problem for "regular" cowboy shooting.

I never took the Winchester stops back out (from EGunparts) … they worked fine … left them in.

Afterwards … I had the opportunity to do the (magazine) spring swap on a couple of "real" Winchester 97's and I never had to adjust the cartridge stops on those at all … The ones I encountered worked find /w 6 shells no problem … (after the magazine spring was swapped/follower tail trimmed).

The Norinco/IAC still works today … fully loaded … A few years ago I had the opportunity to use it at a local gun club "shotgun" shoot a couple of times. At those matches I was allowed to start w/ 6 in the magazine and one in the chamber and it was a big hit … when I racked the slide everyone looked. (when you got to a target where you needed a slug you could simply load over the top … etc … didn't have to waste a round to clear the chamber). That was real fun .. running and gunning w/ the 97 and a cowboy shotshell belt ….

I'm sure any "real" '97 smith can fix you up … and do a much better job at it … along with some other action work to make your gun dependable and a pleasure to shoot … That's what they do!!

I was fortunate that my gun already had a "big name" action job before I bought it from my friend … so after getting the stops adjusted I had a very nice gun indeed. :P

Thanks Pete!!!  This is exactly what I was looking for         GW

On 1/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, G W Wade said:

Lightly stoned the edges for burrs  and polished.   

Next time, how about putting work recently done (see above) on a problem gun into the ORIGINAL post so that we have the full story from the beginning.....<_<

Good luck, GJ

Archived