SASS Wire Forum

Wyatt Earp's shotgun at auction

Black powder percussion.  

Gauge unknown(?).  Possibly 10 gauge?

I hope there’s more to the provenance.  Seems weak.

Is there an opening bid?

Cat Brules

That whole story sounds fishy. First off they call it a percussion shotgun. Really ? 

It is the same model used in Tombstone, and I feel that's as far as the "provenance" goes.

The front trigger opened the barrels to load.

Wyatt

Oops, did a little research and according to Peter Sheryako, who supplied all the guns and hear for Tombstone, in his book "The Guns and Gear of Tombstone"' Fred Dodge did own said gun, serial number 927. Did he loan it to Wyatt, who knows.

I don't know where they got the term "percussion", unless you consider any arm firing fixed ammo with a primer a percussion piece.  In the photos you can plainly see the end of the firing pin (on the side that is visible).  I'd bid on it, but I don't think $2.95 (my current pocket change) will do the trick! :rolleyes:

Oh...come on Chili...it’s only money...Nice and warm down here. Should see Larry tomorrow 

19 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Black powder percussion.  

Gauge unknown(?).  Possibly 10 gauge?

I hope there’s more to the provenance.  Seems weak.

Is there an opening bid?

Cat Brules

When you go to the actual auction website they list it as a 10 gauge.

I find the trigger and breaking trigger interesting.  I imagine it was thought that instead of a lever a trigger would be faster to open the action.  Interesting. 

15 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Oh...come on Chili...it’s only money...Nice and warm down here. Should see Larry tomorrow 

Say hi to that old scudder for me. Looking forward to seeing him at Winter Range. As to money....my budget goes to Moose Drool beer.

Archived