SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1889

Bullett Sass 19707

I watched Guns and Ammo TV tonight and they showed a Marlin 1889 in 38 wsf.   I also have a marlin 1889 in 38 wcf.   The gun on TV had a cut out over the area where the lever pivots at on the frame.  My gun and the few I saw on gun broker didn't have the cut out.   Anyone know about this difference?   The cut out was about half a circle.  Thanks Bullett 19707

I had one made in 1890.   38WCF 24” octagonal barrel.  A shooter.

Traded it off to Chicken Scratch, don’t recall exactly. Looking for some pictures I know I have somewhere.....

Warden your gun looks like mine.   The one on tv had a half circle cut out of the area just above the area where the lever pivots on the frame and came very close to the loading gate.   It looks like it would weaken the gun.   Bullett 19707

20 minutes ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Warden your gun looks like mine.   The one on tv had a half circle cut out of the area just above the area where the lever pivots on the frame and came very close to the loading gate.   It looks like it would weaken the gun.   Bullett 19707

Never seen anything like that.   I can't figure what purpose it would serve. 

I just paged through my Lt. Col. Brophy's big book of Marlins and none showed any cut in that location. Not even the salesman's cutaway wasn't modified in that area.

Archived