SASS Wire Forum

What binoculars do you like UPDATE

Perro Del Diablo

Shooting glass (binos, scopes & spotting scopes) for me has always been "you get what you pay for". Quality optics don't come cheap. I have some Bausch & Lomb 10 x 50 binos that my Dad bought in the 1950's. He paid 3 or 4 hundred dollars for them, a lot of $$$ at that time. They are as good today as they were when he bought them. The only thing wrong with them is they are a tank....big and heavy, but the optics are top notch even by todays standards.

7 hours ago, Assassin said:

Might depend how far out you are glassing. In Wyoming we can see for miles. Back east on flat ground probably won't need as much power.

And when I can draw a tag that’s where I hunt elk  and mule deer out of Dubois and have since 1976. Used all kinds and types of field glasses over the years, right now these Nikons get it done. And I sure love Wyoming.

I have and use (a LOT!) a pair of Swarovski 10x30 binos. they are light and relatively small yet fantastic optics. They go everywhere I do. Super for hunting. Not cheap but an expense you will soon forget when you start seeing the benefits of them.

For me:

Nikon Monarch 5 around 300 dollars

Bushnell legend L or M series 180 to 200 dollars

Celestron makes a nice 10x56  or a 10x50 with ED glass for 180 dollars

Vortex diamond back 200 dollars

All are excellant binoculars, you can pay a lot more and in some cases get less or in some get a little better. But I haven't found a quatum leap in performance or functional image quality. But in the end buy what makes you happy. A lot of good suggestions made here.  I have an electronic scale for powder measurement that is consistently accurate enough to measure one or two granules of powder. It is overkill and really not necessary but it made me happy. 

5 hours ago, Raylan said:

For me:

Nikon Monarch 5 around 300 dollars

Bushnell legend L or M series 180 to 200 dollars

Celestron makes a nice 10x56  or a 10x50 with ED glass for 180 dollars

Vortex diamond back 200 dollars

All are excellant binoculars, you can pay a lot more and in some cases get less or in some get a little better. But I haven't found a quatum leap in performance or functional image quality. But in the end buy what makes you happy. A lot of good suggestions made here.  I have an electronic scale for powder measurement that is consistently accurate enough to measure one or two granules of powder. It is overkill and really not necessary but it made me happy. 

Depends on how big the granules are...right! LOL

We have a variety of different brands

Nikons are my hunting

Leupolds ride in my jeep

Vortex are my wifes

Pine Ridge bird watch from the house (heavy)

Bought my sons Burris years ago- one fell apart in the backpack the other is still going strong

Ancient pair of Nikon compact sit at my wifes office window

My dads  old Vega sit by my office window (recently serviced)

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Depends on how big the granules are...right! LOL

My imprecise language - magnetic force restoration analytical scales - measuring down to .0001 of a gram or .0015 of a grain. But don't want too go to far off topic, just that like most anything - you pay the most for those final 1 to 2 percent improvements. 

Archived