SASS Wire Forum

What binoculars do you like UPDATE

Perro Del Diablo

I'm thinking of getting new pair of binoculars. What power and objective size do you like?  Do you have a favorite brand? I plan to use them for hunting and need something I can identify animals in low light like Dawn and dusk. My old pair are 3-12 variable but my eyes are starting show signs of age. My son could see the hog at dawn through his scope but all I saw was a shadow moving around. I'm considering the 10x50 Steiner Marine. I haven't determined a budget yet so if higher than these be few months of overtime to save up for.

I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x-50's that I got for Christmas a few years ago I really like. I'm a big fan of Vortex glass. And they didn't break the bank, according to my daughter-in-law...

22 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x-50's that I got for Christmas a few years ago I really like. I'm a big fan of Vortex glass. And they didn't break the bank, according to my daughter-in-law...

Vortex is one of my considerations.

My low-light glasses are a pair of Fuji 7X50's which are the standard US Navy issue binocs. That said they are too heavy to routinely carry. I use a pair of refurbished Leitz WWII 6X30's for EDC.  Steiner's are excellent glasses. I suggest that you try a pair of their 8X30's as they are light weight and basically todays military standard issue.

Vortex is at the top of my list for binoculars you can buy from most anywhere, and "try before you buy." There is a local to me manufacturer that makes a very nice binocular,

https://oberwerk.com

I've looked through them and drooled over them at our local astronomy club convention. These in particular seem like they would be good for your application:

https://oberwerk.com/product/oberwerk-sport-ed-series/

Having said that, their warranty doesn't compare to Vortex, and their unlimited, unconditional, lifetime warranty.

Howdy,

I like Burris 8x42 for just hiking around etc.

My sister picked Pentax 10x42 or maybe it was 40?

She went to many national parks and lots of folks tried hers and

kept asking as the Pentax just work great.

Her husband tries to borrow them but he has totally different eyes and

adjusts the heck out of em which drives her nuts.

At one time I went to an event where almost everyone was using binocs.

I asked around and tried a LOT of different glass and none were much better than mine.

One little pair that were impressive was the little Leupolds maybe 9x28 or some such.

Probably not best for low light.....

And a little touch up paint or nail polish can mark the dials for YOUR best focus etc.

Best

CR

ps=If you have a minute go to the Burris site and click on the reviews for their binocs.

I bought mine back about y2k.  I sort of wonder how the new ones stack up.

And made in Japan I do believe.....

I have a combo rangefinder binocular made by Swarovski that is awesome. The rangefinder goes out to 1500 yds and the glass is 8x50. Compact and clear and they have a great warranty. I wouldn't switch to anything else. Been using them for about 4 years, no problems.

Seems when I go to some kind of shoot, or hunting event, with door prizes, I always win binoculars! I must have half a dozen sets of excellent binoculars. Easily, dollar for performance, you can't beat Nikon Monarchs......Compare optically to binoculars costing three times as much. Bird Watchers are the experts in thius field and the Nikons are highly recommended.

27 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Seems when I go to some kind of shoot, or hunting event, with door prizes, I always win binoculars! I must have half a dozen sets of excellent binoculars. Easily, dollar for performance, you can't beat Nikon Monarchs......Compare optically to binoculars costing three times as much. Bird Watchers are the experts in thius field and the Nikons are highly recommended.

I have had 2 sets of Nikon binoculars and I agree. Very good glass for the money. I had a pair of Leupold Compact binoculars (can’t remember model number) that cost 2 times what my first Nikon binocular cost but the Nikon was a much better binocular. 

Howdy,

There are a few Burris spoting scopes on ebay.

One is pretty cheap at least for now....

I bet that big front lens would pick up a lot of detail in the dawn.

Best

CR

Steiner 7x50 with compass.

10 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I have a combo rangefinder binocular made by Swarovski that is awesome. The rangefinder goes out to 1500 yds and the glass is 8x50. Compact and clear and they have a great warranty. I wouldn't switch to anything else. Been using them for about 4 years, no problems.

I've looked at Swarovski and are high on my bucket list. Problem with the range finder models it triples price of an already expensive binocular. My son is using scope on his rifle I bought for myself and wont give it back:lol::blink:. A 4-12x50 Z 3 with BRH reticle. I will be replacing my Leopold with a Z3 or Z5. Ballistic turret is eliminated from list as my 257 Roberts wouldn't need it.

6 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I have decided a fixed power just not sure between 8, 10, or 12

All other things being equal, typically the higher the power, the narrower your field of view, if that makes a difference.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have had 2 sets of Nikon binoculars and I agree. Very good glass for the money. I had a pair of Leupold Compact binoculars (can’t remember model number) that cost 2 times what my first Nikon binocular cost but the Nikon was a much better binocular. 

I was loyal Leopold customer for 20 years until I tried a Swarovski.

If you are looking for a ram with trophy curl horns above timberline a half a mile away then high power is your friend.  If you are trying to tell a button buck from a doe at 100 yards you can get by with less power.  If you are sitting in a stand all day then large lenses are tolerable.  If you are hiking a lot, smaller binoculars are easier to carry.  But you already know all this stuff.  You just didn’t tell us what you are hunting or at what range, other than mentioning a hog.

I gasp with delight when I look through Swarovskis but I cannot afford them.  I carry Bushnell Elite 8x43 into the woods.  They work for me and I don’t have a coronary if they get banged around.

My wife bought my Swaros from Cabelas for Christmas about 5 years ago. They were on sale and if you spent over $500 you got free shipping and got to take $100.00 off the final price. She spent less than &1000.00. Hell of a buy!

I would go with the 10X50s.  Good magnification but not so much that they have to be stabilized to use. Go with a standard size and stay away from compact models.  They sacrifice low light performance to get the same magnification in a smaller package.

Just for curiosity, what rifle scope are you using?

8 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If you are looking for a ram with trophy curl horns above timberline a half a mile away then high power is your friend.  If you are trying to tell a button buck from a doe at 100 yards you can get by with less power.  If you are sitting in a stand all day then large lenses are tolerable.  If you are hiking a lot, smaller binoculars are easier to carry.  But you already know all this stuff.  You just didn’t tell us what you are hunting or at what range, other than mentioning a hog.

I gasp with delight when I look through Swarovskis but I cannot afford them.  I carry Bushnell Elite 8x43 into the woods.  They work for me and I don’t have a coronary if they get banged around.

I doubt I will ever have a chance to hunt Rams. I'd a nubbin buck from a doe is definitely a must as some of the hunts we get through youth hunting program they are very specific about what is allowed to harvest. Usually I am in a blind at 200 yards or less and more likely at 100. Also with Texas deer I might be looking for tines through a mesquite tree to verify. Some ranches we have had opportunity to to hunt also have exotics.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I would go with the 10X50s.  Good magnification but not so much that they have to be stabilized to use. Go with a standard size and stay away from compact models.  They sacrifice low light performance to get the same magnification in a smaller package.

Just for curiosity, what rifle scope are you using?

I bought me a Swarovski z3 and somehow my son commandeered it and now sits on his 308. I'm planning to put Swarovski on my 257 Roberts. I have ruled out a ballistic turret for Robert since I doubt I will be able stretch it out far enough to justify. 

7 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

My wife bought my Swaros from Cabelas for Christmas about 5 years ago. They were on sale and if you spent over $500 you got free shipping and got to take $100.00 off the final price. She spent less than &1000.00. Hell of a buy!

Today only Brownells has 8% off over $500 and free shipping.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:37 AM, Rancho Roy said:

X 2 on the Monarchs, I spend a lot of time with my eyes glued to these Binos during the fall hunting season and dollar for dollar they are the best I have found.  SCJ

I have been lucky enough to pickup 2 pairs of Swarowski used at great price.    7x42 and monster 8x56    People can not believe their eyes when I offer them.       GW

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Might depend how far out you are glassing. In Wyoming we can see for miles. Back east on flat ground probably won't need as much power.

Don't look so much at power, most important for me is clarity, image sharpness and low light ability.

4 hours ago, Assassin said:

Might depend how far out you are glassing. In Wyoming we can see for miles. Back east on flat ground probably won't need as much power.

mostly in texas 3-500 yards be max but need be able see if nubbin buck or doe at first light

Archived