SASS Wire Forum

Spider Bite

Yul Lose

I was working out in the shop on Sunday afternoon and stuck my hand into an old box of wood scraps and a black widow spider bit my little finger. It looked pretty gross Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday but today it’s looking much better. Didn’t want to post pictures earlier because of the way it looked. Watch where you stick your fingers, pards.

5707A970-8A54-41FA-9368-C00333108A40.jpeg

I've been spider bit (not a Widow).

Don't care for it one bit.  Pun not intended.  :mellow:

Hope are taking Benadryl.

I prefer the liquid.

Seems to act a little faster than the tablets.

It helps reduce the swelling and shortens the time with pain.

I am alergic to stinging and bitting insects.

I carry Benadryl in my cars just incase.

When younger, I also carried a stab kit.

I have been bitten by spiders but not a black widow, at least I don’t think so. Some type of spider bit my leg a few years ago and I had a similar wound only the area turned black and blue in a 3” circle. 

Glad you’re on the mend. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have been bitten by spiders but not a black widow, at least I don’t think so. Some type of spider bit my leg a few years ago and I had a similar wound only the area turned black and blue in a 3” circle. 

Glad you’re on the mend. 

I’m thinking since it was a fairly small one the bite wasn’t that bad maybe it wasn’t developed enough yet, it’s stopped developing now.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I was working out in the shop on Sunday afternoon and stuck my hand into an old box of wood scraps and a black widow spider bit my little finger. It looked pretty gross Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday but today it’s looking much better. Didn’t want to post pictures earlier because of the way it looked. Watch where you stick your fingers, pards.

5707A970-8A54-41FA-9368-C00333108A40.jpeg

Spider get away or was it flatten?

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Spider get away or was it flatten?

Flatter than a grease spot.

3 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Got bit by a brown recluse. Not fun.

We insured lumber yards.  Worst work comp case we ever had was a guy got bit by a brown recluse.  Wound went necrotic & he durn near lost his arm.

Black Widow first bite is nasty.  My wife’s been bitten about a dozen times and they tend to affect her less and less.  I told her I was gonna sell her blood to make anti-venom serum.  ( did not go over well)  You can look close and see the two tiny puncture marks.  The wound will turn white in the middle and the white area will radiate out wider and wider.  Lasts about a week, usually.  Might want to go to the ER. Sure hurts, don’t it?!  :o:wacko:

Cat Brules

I got bit by recluse a few years ago. The tissue dies back and I developed a 1/4 inch deep, 3/4 inch wide hole.  Ended up scraping the wound out and man that tingled, but it did heal...  Be very careful and look for sign of tissue necrosis under that scab. 

10 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

I got bit by recluse a few years ago. The tissue dies back and I developed a 1/4 inch deep, 3/4 inch wide hole.  Ended up scraping the wound out and man that tingled, but it did heal...  Be very careful and look for sign of tissue necrosis under that scab. 

It is advised you pay a visit to your sawbones, just to be sure.  Tissue necrosis is not something to fool around with.  Neither is the bite, for that matter.

I agree with Calamity Kris about hitting your doctor. I went about six or so days after the bite and the Dr. took and carved the necrotic tissue away. It took a month before the hole was healed enough to start to fill up. Left a nice scar.

My guess is, if the Brown Recluse was the size of a dog, there might not be many people around.

Of course, they’d have been eradicated (made extinct) a hundred years ago. You’d only see preserved examples in museums.  Hopefully, anyway.

Cat Brules

Archived