SASS Wire Forum

Help! Rust on Cimarron High Wall

Howdy!

I have a nice Cimarron 1885 High Wall Deluxe rifle. It has a nice charcoal blue color case finish. I've had it for years, but I don't shoot it much. I do take it out a few times a year to clean it. I took it out today, and it has rust on the right side plate on the receiver. I quickly got on it with WD-40 and Break-Free. I stopped it, but obviously I'll need to refinish it. I'm waiting for a response from Cimarron's repair department. Are there other places I should check with for this work? Turnbull Restorations first comes to mind, but I think the wait and the cost would be daunting. Has anyone had experience with Cimarron refinishing guns?

Thanks much!

Capt. Gus McCrae

Well, Cimarron themselves won't be doing the refinishing.  They are a wholesaler and retailer.   They probably have a gunsmith lined up to do such things, though.

Long Hunter Supply would be glad to do a fine job of color case hardening, which I'd prefer over just a charcoal blue.  It would be both functional and pretty.

Run-N-Iron shop in Nebraska can do almost any refinish or restoration work on cowboy guns, and probably very cost competitive and faster than Turnbull.

A more sure rust remover that does not damage finishes - Kroil rubbed in with bronze wool.  I'd not trust conventional WD-40 to remove rust, but their special rust remover does OK.  And as far as I know, a High Wall has no "side plate."  Just the receiver itself (a chunk of steel) into which the action openings are carved.  At least, my Uberti made HW doesn't. ^_^

Good luck, GJ

PLUS ONE too Garrison Joe.  You didn't say what you used to "got on it" but WD-40 in and of itself is not a "rust remover."  It's just a water displacement agent with some solvents in it.  Also not a good lubricant.  Has been known to temporarily fix squeaks in some hinges.

rust is going to leave pits.  Even if tiny.  Somebody may well remove some metal to get past the pits.  Care must be taken.  Any dedicated rust remover will also remove Blueing (a form of rust).  Invest in some Bronze Wool.

Get yourself a tube of Flitz paste polish and clean your gun using a white cotton t-shirt. You’ll be amazed how well it will work and clean up your rifle.

As far as I know, Cimarron is still using Classic Guns for case coloring.  Since there is no warranty involved, I'd just talk straight to them (or Turnbull or Run-n-Iron or whoever).  It probably won't look just like what you've got, but should look good.

Thanks for the great input. I do realize that the High Wall receiver is a single piece, without side plates. I just meant the right side, and misspoke. I did use Kroil solvent, along with Break-Free and WD-40. I was only trying to remove the surface rust, and stop the rusting process. Anything stronger will remove the charcoal bluing, which I know is damaged anyway. I didn't know about bronze wool. I'll get some and try that. I have dealt with Long Hunter before, and I sent a message off to him. I do have a Guild Gunsmith friend of mine locally, and I'll see what he says about the finish. I know that he doesn't do charcoal bluing or CCH.  I may just bite the bullet and have it repaired and blued. It won't look as nice, but it will be a great gun.

A good old fashion real copper penny and some Kroil will do the trick .

But you need to do something ASAP to minimize the pitting .

So saith The Rooster ! 

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Invest in some Bronze Wool.

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

A good old fashion real copper penny and some Kroil will do the trick .

There's a common theme here.  I've used both to stem the tide that's also known as "rust".  Pretty much, any lubricant will help keep the damage to the underlying finish by the copper.  Go lightly, take your time and in the end only you will know where the damage was.

I second or third the bronze wool/copper penny and oil to remove the rust. 

Once you get it fixed I highly recommend you buy a can of renaissance wax. I use that on all my blued firearms, it's a very thin protective layer that will help to seal out moisture and oil from your hands causing corrosion.  works as good as wiping down with oil but it's not wet. It's also add a little gloss and shine to highlight bluing and color case. 

Nix on the WD-40.
My neighbor was a submarine tech at Mare Island.

I was bitching up a storm after WD-40 rusted the chrome on my Harley over the winter.
He said WD-40 encourages rust.. and demonstrated by cutting open an empty can of WD-40.
It was entirely rusted on the inside of the can.

Use WD-40 to break loose stubborn nuts, etc.
Not on firearms.

Archived