SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 4 click Hammers and Triggers

Rooster Ron Wayne

I thought some of you might like to know. 

I just bought Two sets of four click Old style  Hammers and Triggers from Cimarron Firearms .

They Only Have a few sets still left .

When they are out .

They are out .

Uberti will NOT be making anymore !

So if you needs some or need a backup for your guns .

You might want  jump on them Fast 

Rooster 

16 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

What is the functional benefit to the four-click style system ?

All I know is that some have four clicks and some dont...

Some folks have had problems with the, (3-click), retractable firing pin system.  Of course, if nothing has been done to the gun, it can be fixed under warranty.  If you have had action work done to the gun, that may void the warranty.  Others report no problems at all, and the gun functions as it should.  Some just don't like adding more parts that can fail.  Still others just like the authenticity of the original "4-click" system.

Personal choices.

As soon as I say I don't like more moving parts then there needs to be then I think of all the parts i've dumped into my 1873 rifle hell that pioneer gunworks main spring has four roller bearings. 

I like four clicks, I like simplicity, But i've got exceptions to that rule as well. 

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

What's a cowboy to do if he has one of a million old Uberti Cattleman that needs a new hammer?   Is he going to have to convert it to a three click retractable system?

Maybe fit a Pietta hammer?

31 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Maybe fit a Pietta hammer?

I don't think a Pietta hammer will work in a Uberti because a Uberti is just a bit bigger than Pietta. 

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/cimarron-firearms/370239-pietta-hammer-uberti.html

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What's a cowboy to do if he has one of a million old Uberti Cattleman that needs a new hammer?   Is he going to have to convert it to a three click retractable system?

This is the exact reason I bought the parts .

From my understanding you will need to ether  convert your guns to all the new safety system parts or have a true gunsmith custom fit some aftermarket parts .

I'm a black powder shooter and I dont want to chance having issues with the new safety system Uberti is now using. 

So I just bought some main parts while I still can.

So saith The Rooster 

From what I understand it's pretty simple to modify the new hammers so the firing pin stays extended.

Seems like it would also  be  pretty simple to make a new longer firing pin and pin it in place.

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

From what I understand it's pretty simple to modify the new hammers so the firing pin stays extended.

Seems like it would also  be  pretty simple to make a new longer firing pin and pin it in place.

Maybe maybe not .

I would rather have the correct parts to fix my guns the right way.

So saith The Rooster. 

Just now, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Maybe maybe not .

I would rather have the correct parts to fix my guns the right way.

So saith The Rooster. 

I agree completely, but at least there is a solution and path forward for those that can't get a 4 click hammer in the future.

I'm pretty sure some "after market" hammers /triggers will be available. I just sent 2 "safety deletes" to a customer yesterday. They just replace what's in the hammer which means you can re-install the safety mechanism should you decide to sell.

Mike

On 1/22/2020 at 2:14 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I thought some of you might like to know. 

I just bought Two sets of four click Old style  Hammers and Triggers from Cimarron Firearms .

They Only Have a few sets still left .

When they are out .

They are out .

Uberti will NOT be making anymore !

So if you needs some or need a backup for your guns .

You might want  jump on them Fast 

Rooster 

What are they charging?

23 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Seems like an aftermarket opportunity for a machinist.

I talked to Ryan over at Taylor’s a couple of weeks ago and he said that when that new retractable firing pin system first came out there were some problems especially with short stroked guns but Uberti corrected the problem and the Taylor’s gunsmith prefers the old system but has successfully worked the actions jobs for reliable ignition and smoothness.  Ryan said his pistols work fine and he has several Ubertis with old and new firing pin systems.

It could be worse, Uberti could have gone to an all transfer bar system, if they had to go one way or the other I think this RFP system is  way better.

11 minutes ago, Ridge said:

I talked to Ryan over at Taylor’s a couple of weeks ago and he said that when that new retractable firing pin system first came out there were some problems especially with short stroked guns but Uberti corrected the problem and the Taylor’s gunsmith prefers the old system but has successfully worked the actions jobs for reliable ignition and smoothness.  Ryan said his pistols work fine and he has several Ubertis with old and new firing pin systems.

It could be worse, Uberti could have gone to an all transfer bar system, if they had to go one way or the other I think this RFP system is  way better.

And they also could have left them alone.

That said, I do agree better than transfer bars as it will be easy to overcome without a welder.

At least they didn't mess with the frame geometry so you could go forward or backward. 

The real safety hazard they created was in years to come,  people will think it's safe to carry 6 with hammer down on live round.  Maybe it's a Cattleman II with a working retractable firing pin.  Maybe it's a Cattleman II with the system defeated  or parts changed out. Maybe it's just an old Cattleman but they just think it's safe to carry 6 with hammer on live round.  

Very good point Warden, but from a company’s liability  standpoint if someone changes the system The liability is on the gun owner.  How many people disable to safety system in their Ruger‘s and according to Ryan at Taylor’s, Uberti didn’t want to have to go to the all safety system either. I think that that accidental discharge resulting in death in Mane back in 2010 sealed the deal for the RFP system. I read a lot of the deposition and it’s pretty damning.  I imagine that the suits over at Barretta are behind making the change permanent.

21 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

or fab up and drop a spacer in behind the firing pin.

I have already read some stuff on people shimmying the firing pin .

And removing the rod.

This makes the gun work like they should work .

And can always be changed back if you sell the gun .

But as Warden said .

This could make new people to shooting. 

Think loading six is OK .

And in the future we will read about more accidental discharges or shootings because of it.

I bought the parts to have on hand just incase I ever need to repair my Cattleman 44 Special guns .

I will never sell my guns .

So I thought I should get some spaire parts while I can .

So Saith The Rooster 

Archived