SASS Wire Forum

1894 Marlin CB cartridge issue

Lawman Mays

13 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Mine was not a problem with the location of the extractor channel, but the location of the cross-pin hole.  Just a few thousandths off, but enough that I couldn't use the very nice RPP extractor that I used in my short-stroked Marlin.  I was bummed. 

Bet if you contact RPP they will have a fix.

Seen a few that pin was off centerline.  

OLG 

Well wider is one of the most knowledgeable folks and helpful gunsmiths in the business so I sure don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but I still think how you cycle the rifle is key. That's why the rifle you cycle my ammo for Widder but not for me. 

I was bending the levers on a 73 inside a month because I opened the gun so aggressively. The more I tore up the 73 the more people told me I wasn't opening the leaver so IMO that's what led to this aggressive style.....and things got worse and I was in a downward spiral. That was the path that led me to the Marlin. So when I got the Marlin I didn't change that style I slammed the lever open just as hard having confidence I couldn't or didn't have to worry about bending that lever.   

Too me it seems strange that I would open the lever so hard on a 73 it would bend in under 300 rounds but when I switched to the Marlin I went to somehow not opening it all the way. The stroke length on the SS Marlin was very similar to my 3rd gen 73...…..so it just seems strange. 

I think you can open the gun and if you have a softer stroke the ammo is less effected by the momentum as it comes up to chamber the round. But if you open the lever too hard it might cause the ammo to react differently than if you open it with less force. Since the round is not captive that (and moving the gun L&R) can let the ammo move out of place as it tries to chamber....thus the shoot them like you are walking on ice comment I made.

The best runs I had with the rifle I feel like I had to shoot it like it was in a gun vise...….and it was taxing. The 105's for me seemed to be worse than 158's of the same OAL and I "think" it's because the round was heavier and less effected by the hard open even though the 105 had a more forgiving profile for feeding. 

Many Marlin shooters know (and I saw it a lot) not to try to lever the gun as you bring it to your shoulder so that makes me think the two are related.  Because that first round can jam as you are moving the rifle around while the round is chambering and the gun is less stable.  

I know folks trying to modify the feeding system to overcome this and have the same theories but I got tried of the fight...……..lol. Again everyone please understand I'm just trying to explain what I "think" I saw and I could right but I could be wrong and the goal is to help figure this out not argue with my favorite Jedi warrior in the game. 

On the marlin, the round is not lifted until the lever starts to close.  Opening only controls the round entering the receiver from the magazine.  If the round is coming out at that point it might be worth looking at the modifications Widder does to the lifter to allow the round to sit lower.  

I have ejected loaded rounds, but I think it’s due to having to cycle the lever a little to get a stubborn round into the chamber.  I think the round gets under the ejecter, but not into the chamber and then opening the lever ejects that round.  Working on this issue myself.  

I found the rpp ejecter would not work well in my gun.  It had too much tension and it prevented the rounds from entering the chamber smoothly.  I also tried slicks ejecter, same issue.  The stock one has worked the best.  

4 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

On the marlin, the round is not lifted until the lever starts to close.  Opening only controls the round entering the receiver from the magazine.  If the round is coming out at that point it might be worth looking at the modifications Widder does to the lifter to allow the round to sit lower.  

I have ejected loaded rounds, but I think it’s due to having to cycle the lever a little to get a stubborn round into the chamber.  I think the round gets under the ejecter, but not into the chamber and then opening the lever ejects that round.  Working on this issue myself.  

I found the rpp ejecter would not work well in my gun.  It had too much tension and it prevented the rounds from entering the chamber smoothly.  I also tried slicks ejecter, same issue.  The stock one has worked the best.  

Would like to hear more details about this rifle. 

OLG 

Archived