SASS Wire Forum

Hardest hitting .22 ammo?

Chili Ron

Howdy

I have checked around on the web and there are all sorts of NON ANSWERS to this question.

Im leaving off why I want this info.

Maybe that will cut down on the suggestions that other guns or calibers are better.

Some folks talk about accuracy and accuracy is without a doubt very important.

But if I have the hardest hitting 22 lr ammo, I bet I can find a rifle that will shoot that

ammo accurately enough.....one inch group at 25 yards and two inch at 100 or so.

One suggestion on another forum was the 60 grain from some mfg I don't know well.

Any pards tried that?

I will be starting with my little Henry of course.

OK Mr Widder?

Best

CR

CCI Stingers have always been my gold standard for a 22lr that can do the job on a groundhog or a water-filled soda can.  In my 1950s vintage Marlin 39A, your accuracy threshold is more than reachable. 

Remington Yellow Jackets are also good for delivering a wallop, but the truncated cone bullet has a sharper shoulder that occasionally struggles to feed in a semi-auto. 

Hope this helps. 

Howdy,

Thanks for the reminder. I should grab a bunch of velicitor while they are available.

If they aren't the hardest hitting they MUST be in the top 5 or at least top 10.

Still wondering about hardest winner(s)….

Best

CR

Take a look at the M-carbo web site   The have a 22 ballistic chart that may answer a lot of you questions/ arguments       GW

There are some surprises when you compare 200 yd energy and 100 yd.   Some standard rounds are closing in on the hyper velocity stuff   GW

Well, heavier bullets are generally going to give you more kinetic energy at 100 yards.  But if the bullet is subsonic to begin with, that's not going to hold true.  If the 60 gr stuff is the aguila SSS sniper subsonic ammo, then it's not the answer.  I can't find 100 yard energy for it, but the muzzle energy is 120 ft lbs.  The veliocitor's muzzle energy is 183 and it still has 104 at 100 yards.  I can't see any way SSS loses less than 20 Ft/Lbs at that range.  

If the Aguila name worried you, it's relatively new, but so far it's been good.  I shoot a lot of aguila 30 carbine ammo and it's been flawless.  I see a lot of niche 22 loadings from them at gun shows.  If you search their catalog you might find a heavy bullet hypervelocity load which will be the medicine you're looking for.  On first glance, I see a 22 interceptor HP with a 40 gr bullet that they claim has 116 Ft/Lbs at 100 yards.  That's better than the velocitor that was already mentioned.  Of course, I'm assuming they both use the same length barrels ...

Since we don't know what you want it for, I get to say

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO IS GIT U WUNNA THEM DOUBLE RIFLES IN 500 NITRO EXPRESS

Bibliography:

https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/

https://www.mcarbo.com/22LR-Ballistics-Chart

http://ruger1022.com/docs/22lrballistics.htm

Aguila makes really good .22 ammo for the money. I have shot their Match Pistol ammo in my rimfire Bulls Eye pistol for 15 years. Groups are as tight as ammo costing twice as much.

FWIW, I get reduced recoil .22LR ammunition for NRA bullseye. It appears that we are somewhat disparate in our views!!!  :D

Unfortunately sub recoil and sub velocity won't work in my Hi Standard Supermatic semi auto. Slide won't extract/eject the empties.

I don't know which .22 might be the 'hardest hitting', but 2 of my favorites are:

CCI Velocitor     40 gr at 1435

Browning BPR   40 gr at 1435

These are both excellent rounds in relation to power output.

I have experience reliable feeding results in both Lever rifles and Semi-auto rifles  (8 of them)

BUT... I have not experienced 100% reliable feeding results in all my .22 auto pistols  (6 of them)

..........Widder

Howdy,

Are there any published works on barrel length FOR .22 rf?

I was once told that .22 rimfire only needs eleven inches to get to full speed.

That longer barrels are quieter and have better sight radius if using iron sight.

Best

CR

I use CCI Mini Mag  for most of My .22 shooting. 

Some Federal Bulk Black & white box for the Grandkids shooting .

And CCI Stingers for Anything I want One Shot Dead !

So saith The Rooster. 

Ballistic comparisons of 27 different .22LR cartridges

https://www.mcarbo.com/22LR-Ballistics-Chart  

Unfortunately, they didn't include the Aguila Super Maximum High Velocity or the CCI Copper 22

(I mention the Copper 22 because you mentioned 25yds... a 22 traveling over 1900fps at 25yds is going to take out any squirrel you hit!  But that 21gr light bullet at 100yds is going to be pushed around by any breeze.) 

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Are there any published works on barrel length FOR .22 rf?

I was once told that .22 rimfire only needs eleven inches to get to full speed.

That longer barrels are quieter and have better sight radius if using iron sight.

Best

CR

Chili,

I think you are correct on the barrel length info.

CCI makes the .22 QUIET ammo.

In the pistols, it ain't really quiet.

In a 16-18" rifle barrels, it is relatively quiet and normally just a tad more than an air rifle.

But in the 22" barrels, it really shows its uniqueness, producing just a 'pifffffff'  sound.

DISCLAIMER:  I wear hearing aids to hear most sounds.  The info above is the results while using my

aids set at the normal settings in both ears.

Without my aids, I don't even hear water running, even when I'm in the shower..... :mellow:

..........Widder

Archived