SASS Wire Forum

DiResta and the '73

Anyone else here watch Jimmy DiResta clips...?  :)

For those who don't, he's a craftsman in New York who creates, builds, and restores things, ranging from making signs for the Bulleit Whiskey company to restoring old machinery.

Here's a good one he posted recently where he cleans up an old Winchester... link below his comments:

This is a Winchester Model 1873, 22 short caliber. made in 1880s and left in a leaky barn for past 50 years. I got this rifle at a garage sale for $25. I did research and realized I found a very very rare gun. It was not kept in good shape .. the guy I got it from didn't know too much about it or why it was kept in such bad conditions. According to the s.n. it was made in 1880's!!! it is about 140 years old! The one missing part was the ejector spring. I got it on eBay for $100.  To the trolls that want to stomp on this restoration remember this: it was a useless rusty pile of nothing. Now it works.

EDIT:  At about 06:05 in this clip he briefly discusses the project and shoots it.  

Looking at that wonderful old rifle, in the state it was found, brought a tear to the eye.

I've been following Jimmy for a while.  He does some amazing things.  There was one part of the dis-assembly where he didn't do something.  Take the toggle links out?  I don't remember but it seemed strange watching what he was doing and not completely dis-assembly it.

56 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I've been following Jimmy for a while.  He does some amazing things.  There was one part of the dis-assembly where he didn't do something.  Take the toggle links out?  I don't remember but it seemed strange watching what he was doing and not completely dis-assembly it.

You must've missed it.... they came out before the second dunking in the "tank." 

28 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I wonder if it was shootable. Might have had too many pits in the chamber.

Second video, he shoots it.  At about the 6:05 mark he spends about a minute talking about the rifle, and ends with some plinking.  I suspect it was none too accurate (but who knows - maybe the water exposure was only external?).  If it was mine I'd happily sleeve that puppy and more happily shoot it!  :)

I HATE Jimmy D, he can do it all wood work, welding, restorations.  NO ONE should be that good with so many things!  LOL ;)

But I do like his videos always something new and different.

That was awesome.

Years ago I did the same to an original Sharps 1863 percussion carbine in similar condition, but not quite as extreme. I posted the results on the Wire and was summarily admonished for having destroyed it’s “patina” and historical value. 

I sure like shooting it though. Something it couldn’t do when I got it. 

Wow ! 

I would not have believed it .

If I did not watch the whole thing .

So Saith  The Rooster 

Archived