SASS Wire Forum

They don't build 'em like they used to...

...Thank God.

The red vehicle in this picture was my wife's 2015 Buick Encore. She got sandwiched in a 20-car pile up on the I-70 bridge that spans the MO river in central Missouri yesterday. She escaped with 2 fractured ribs and sternum. Brought her home last night from Columbia hospital.  I drove back today to collect the contents of the car and saw that the damage was worse than this news photo shows, as she was also struck twice from behind. The amazing thing is how intact the passenger compartment remained. Not long ago, this would have been a fatal crash.

Thank God for guardian angels and auto safety engineers.

https://www.komu.com/news/crash-report-20-vehicles-involved-in-crash-at-missouri-river-bridge

Kaya had a similar injury to her sternum. Listen to the docs! It's a slow process to full recovery. Don't let her push it 

Glad it wasn't as bad as it looks!

Best wishes and prayers to your wife for her speedy recovery from the injuries she received.  She has some very painful injuries and it will take several weeks to recover.  That looks like a very bad pileup and you’re lucky to get her back.

Cat Brules

Slim, so sorry to hear about your wife’s crash. I am glad it wasn’t worse. For what it worth, I would rather crash in cars made today thank those of 30 and more years ago. 

I thought it quite interesting that they named the lady that initially crashed and that crash resulted in a pile up. Here on the left coast they would never do that. I would but if people’s names were listed in accident causes that might cause people to think before doing something that might cause an accident...but, I doubt it would have any affect on some. 

By the way, if the doctor gives your wife an “Inspirometer” to use to check her breathing capacity tell her to use it and use it twice as much as the doctor recommends. Oh sure, it’s gonna hurt like hell but it helps with breathing capacity and helps heal those ribs in the long run. Don’t let her get away without exercising her breathing. The results could be longer healing time and any respiratory problems that result in coughing will be VERY PAINFUL! Exercise those lungs. 
If she has to cough, clutching (hugging) a pillow and holding it against the sternum and broken ribs helps a great deal. 

I am so glad she wasn’t hurt more. Thank God. 

Sorry to hear, but yes cars of today are much safer than years ago even tho the size and weight differences. I go across that bridge a few times a year headed to the V.A. Hospital in Columbia. It's dangerous enough in clear weather. So many goose neck to see the bluffs, river, and Katy Trail at 70+ MPH. Such a beautiful spot along the drive. I cancel any appointments during bad weather and go up when it's over. The number of cars, semi's off the roadway between 65hwy and Columbia is something to see. Scare the heck out of ya. Pray she recovers without any complications.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for your wife. 

I have a 2017 Buick Encore, my second one, I had a 2013 before this. I think this an under rated car. I love 'em!

5 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Sorry to hear, but yes cars of today are much safer than years ago even tho the size and weight differences. I go across that bridge a few times a year headed to the V.A. Hospital in Columbia. It's dangerous enough in clear weather. So many goose neck to see the bluffs, river, and Katy Trail at 70+ MPH. Such a beautiful spot along the drive. I cancel any appointments during bad weather and go up when it's over. The number of cars, semi's off the roadway between 65hwy and Columbia is something to see. Scare the heck out of ya. Pray she recovers without any complications.

I make the trip from KC to St. Louis several times a year. That bridge is becoming treacherous even in good weather. The deck is in bad shape and needs to be replaced, but will take a herculean effort given the amount of traffic through there. The trip between KC and StL is pretty much like rush hour traffic the whole way, with the highest concentrations around KC, Columbia and StL. Speeds are anywhere from 55-85 mph and can change in a heartbeat. Seems like no matter your speed, there's always someone who pulls right in front of you or trying to lock bumpers with you from behind. 

18 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

...Thank God.

Thank God for guardian angels and auto safety engineers.

https://www.komu.com/news/crash-report-20-vehicles-involved-in-crash-at-missouri-river-bridge

Absolutely!  Amen

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Said a prayer for the both of you!

Slim,

Good to hear she wasn't hurt any worse than she was.  Prayers for her--and YOU.  Your life is going to be different for several months as she goes through the healing process.  I know--my wife went through 4 major surgeries in 18 months.  Two of the surgeries were 9 days apart.

Just be patient with her--unless she is already up for sainthood, she's going to be grumpy and a little short tempered--we all are when we hurt.  And, no, I'm not a doctor--just experienced.

Again, glad you got to take her home already.

Dr. O. R.

P.S.  DID that trip probably 40 times from Sedalia to Columbia in last 2 years. And there ARE some real idiots that fly along on I-70.

Trafic on I70 has become insane.  St Louis to Kansas City is nearly bumper to bumper 24-7.  Now that we're retired and can pick our times, we try to travel when trafic is lighter but lately,  it's still very crowded even in central Missouri.   We have found secondary roads to get to some places but avoid morning and evening hours because the morning and evening commute to work traffic is plum crazy.  

Then people are driving in bad road conditions like they would when in good.   They don't want to be inconvenienced by road conditions.  

We would like to go to a gun show tomorrow but we'll check road conditions before deciding to go.  Right now the roads in the northern half of the state are covered and snow is still falling.  

• 2 weeks later...

There was another bad accident today on I70 at the Missouri River bridge west of Columbia.  It closed down the west bound lane for aome 6 hours.  

Many other accidents too numerous to mention.   Wet, slushy snow came down pretty hard this morning. 

You’d think MODOT would start moving on the project to replace this span. I know it’s an enormous task, but it’s not like this is a new topic. It’s been on the drawing board for years. 

There are a boatload of projects like this nationwide that languish while money is siphoned away from infrastructure and given to state and federal pork. 

Dueling Trucks ,,,,,,, Neither one willing to be in the Rear ….

Neither one able to best the other Quickly,,,,, So you wait ….

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived