SASS Wire Forum

More Washington State Gun Rights Issues

Arkie Lee wrote a good post about the Washington State issues, and his attendance at the rally Jan 17 in Olympia. Unfortunately his thread got rather sidetracked by some pards' discussions of religion and the details of the history of the 2nd Amendment.

I'd like to return to the subject, and urge all Washington pards to get involved. I attended the House committee meeting this morning. The Senate committee met yesterday.

The issues getting most attention are the proposed "assault weapons" ban,  and the ban on high-capacity (over 10 rounds) magazines. The anti-gunners are out in force, and among those testifying were parents who had lost children in some of the well-known mass shooting incidents.

There a some other very important issues, however: proposed new CPL training requirement, ban on online ammo sales and background checks on ammo sales, and, to me the most pernicious-- repeal of state preemption. I have written directly and in detail to all committee members on those three issues. I am not personally addressing mags and 'assault weapons', they are not my own focus.

I strongly urge every Washington pard to take the time to write not only to all the committee members, but to their own district senators and representatives. It's extremely important. 

I’ve  ordered a bunch of ammo and more spare magazines already.  I have contacted some officials for various reasons and laws and have yet to get a reply from state offices or the Senators.  Once one of these items, doesn’t matter what it is, makes it onto a ballot it will pass in this state due to King County and any words dealing with gun control.

When I-1639 passed I had a co-worker (who owns an AR-15) bitch about it to me. But later during the discussion he admitted that he never votes. I really had to suppress the urge to slap him silly. It's people like him who are the reason why we've been getting bowled over year after year.

view the web version of this email
NRA-ILA: Institute for Legislative Action

Washington: Senate Committee to Vote on Gun Ban & Other Bills

wa-take-action-flag-is987393846.png?widt

On January 23rd, the Washington Senate Law and Justice Committee will be voting on a number of bills heard earlier in the week that would severely erode your right to self-defense. Please use the “Take Action” button below to contact the committee and ask them to OPPOSE Senate Bills 6077, 6294, 6288, and 6163.

click-here-take-action.gif?width=500&height=61

Anti-gun bills:

Senate Bill 6077 would ban the manufacture, possession, sale, transfer, etc. of standard capacity magazines that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. This measure is strongly supported by the Governor and the Attorney General.

Senate Bill 6294 would impose government red tape and expensive training requirements to obtain a Concealed Pistol License.

Senate Bill 6288 would create an Office of Firearm Violence Prevention within the executive branch of state government. Governor Jay Inslee and his administration have already made it clear where they stand on Second Amendment issues—they routinely sponsor and support gun ban legislation and initiatives designed to disarm law-abiding citizens. This office would be nothing more than a tax-payer funded lobby group with the sole purpose of eroding self-defense rights in Washington

Update:

On January 23rd, the Washington Senate Law & Justice Committee approved three anti-gun bills, among them Senate Bill 6077 to ban most standard capacity magazines. These bills are now headed to the Rules Committee awaiting being pulled to the Senate floor. In addition, the House of Representatives passed House Bill 1010 to allow the state patrol to destroy confiscated firearms, clearing the way to send this bill to the Senate. Please contact your state Senator and urge them to OPPOSE SBs 6077, 6294, and 6288, and HB 1010.

1 hour ago, JD Lud said:

Update:

On January 23rd, the Washington Senate Law & Justice Committee approved three anti-gun bills, among them Senate Bill 6077 to ban most standard capacity magazines. These bills are now headed to the Rules Committee awaiting being pulled to the Senate floor. In addition, the House of Representatives passed House Bill 1010 to allow the state patrol to destroy confiscated firearms, clearing the way to send this bill to the Senate. Please contact your state Senator and urge them to OPPOSE SBs 6077, 6294, and 6288, and HB 1010.

I remember buying confiscated and retired police handguns from the state of California (Yeah!  CALIFORNIA!!!!! in selected gun shops less than 25 years ago.  Got a real nice Colt Detective Special for under a hundred dollars from a place in Arcadia.  The money was given to the state police for training supplies and equipment.

There were a lot of knives available, too.

Archived