SASS Wire Forum

I got a Ruger Wrangler a few days ago and put in a lighter hammer spring to make it easier to shoot.  

Is there any 22 ammo that will work with a lighter hammer spring ? 

When I got my daughter some wranglers I put in springs that made the hammer pull similar to our other race guns that we shoot 38s with. They weren't setting off 1 or 2 out of every 5. I had lots of different brands of 22 ammo so I tried everything I had and couldn't find anything that was better than others. 

I ended up with 17 pound Wolff springs which in my experience are the lightest you can get away with. 

18 minutes ago, Chicken George* said:

When I got my daughter some wranglers I put in springs that made the hammer pull similar to our other race guns that we shoot 38s with. They weren't setting off 1 or 2 out of every 5. I had lots of different brands of 22 ammo so I tried everything I had and couldn't find anything that was better than others. 

I ended up with 17 pound Wolff springs which in my experience are the lightest you can get away with. 

Yup, same experience but I started with 15# Wolff springs. Then I cut 6 coils off the factory springs with same results of 1 to 2 misfires out of 6. I have added 2 washers in each and not getting any misfires as of yet. I know a pard who installed 17 #  springs in his pair and they worked with no misfires for a couple hundred rounds but now he is getting misfires with those. I will only cut 5 coils off the factory springs on my next attempt. Extremely tight and stiff guns. The cylinders fit so tight It takes effort to turn them with the loading gate open. The loading gate spring is also incredibly heavy, I put my Wranglers away with the loading gates open hoping they will take a set to reduce the strength. If that doesn’t work it will be tear down time.

I put original Vaquero springs in my Wranglers, rather than the lighter Wolff springs (I had a set on hand from Kay's revolvers).  Much MUCH lighter hammer pull than the original springs & they still fire reliably.

Holler

I have 17# in my set with zero issues and we have a young shooter that competes with Wranglers.  Her guns have 17# springs as well.  I have T.O. for her a couple hundred stages and never seen a misfire from her pistols.  

I have tried a number of different brands of .22 ammo.

Totes

IMG_7840 2.JPG

For about the last 10 years, much of the 22 LR ammo has been made with VERY poor quality control on primer placement.   

Was using a lot of Winchester Xpert .22 ammo (pretty cheap stuff) for Boy Scout rifle marksmanship training.   Guns were Winchester 69 bolt action rifles, with a strong factory weight firing pin strike.  Began getting a lot of failures to fire about 2000, but the ammo would fire with a second strike on a different part of the rim.   Pulled the bullets on several that had one strike on it without firing.   Examined the priming compound down in the rim by looking down into the case.    Compound was MISSING from about 10-20% of the circumference around the rim.  And, the strike mark was obviously at one of the gaps in the primer material!

Since then, I have narrowed down the brands that I have our Scouts use, to prevent the inconvenience  (and loss of focus) that a misfire causes.  These seem to be made much better than most other 22 brands.

Federal AutoMatch (pictured in TM's reply)

Federal 711 and 719 (practice) target ammo.   The 711 is loaded to subsonic velocity and is quieter.

All the Federal high-price target ammo (if you can afford to spend the $10+ a box price)

Eley Club ammo (kinda pricey though).

The ones with problems:

Had FTF problems with almost all Winchester 22

Had problems with most Remington 22 (especially that cheap Thunderbolt stuff and Golden Bullet bulk or boxed)

Had problems with some CCI (Blazer particularly)

Had problems with Federal Champion 22 (their cheap line)

Had problems with most Aguila 22 ammo

It's a shame that shooters (and a large number of them kids) are being poorly served by ammo manufacturers failure to apply a little QC to their production.

I would guess ammo quality is to blame for at least part of the Wrangler failure to fire problem.

Good luck, GJ

23 minutes ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

I ended up useing CCI. I tried some older gold colored bullets, some of it wouldn't go into one cylinder.

That Remmy ammo has a well known reputation for FTF.

Stick with CCI and Federal. 

OLG 

I have a Pair of em, started out w/ 15 lb and would get an occasional no fire....

16 lb seem to have taken care of the issue for me.....    I have a pair of 17 lb Wolff's on my workbench........  just in case.

I use whatever ammo I can get thats Cheap.

Purly Man,

17# hammer springs would be a good poundage to use.

As for ammo, probably ALL of the CCI brand will work very well.

As for Federals,  The blue box 'Champion' brand might give you some inconsistency although its still good stuff.

The Federal black box bulk is excellent.

The White box stuff is also good.

The reddish box stuff has never been good for me.   

Slater and I shoot ALL KINDS of .22 ammo and a lot of it and the info I listed above is from our experience

in shooting 100's of rounds during the year.

Another inconsistent ammo I have tried is Aguila.   I don't seem to get good results with it in either

rifles or pistols.

I don't think you will go wrong with most any of the CCI stuff.

..........Widder

I have a Ruger Single Six and it has a pretty stiff hammer. I was going to lighten it up with lighter springs but I decided to keep it the way it is. I hardly ever had a round not fire. Thunderbolt.22's excluded!:o

The BEST of the cheaper 22 ammo is, I believe, the Federal AutoMatch (white bulk box, black target on it).   It is very reliable and very accurate in a lot of my 22s. And the Federal 711 target (subsonic) will, at 50% more cost, shoot slightly tighter than the AutoMatch in a good gun.

Good luck, GJ 

9 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The BEST of the cheaper 22 ammo is, I believe, the Federal AutoMatch (white bulk box, black target on it).   It is very reliable and very accurate in a lot of my 22s. And the Federal 711 target (subsonic) will, at 50% more cost, shoot slightly tighter than the AutoMatch in a good gun.

Good luck, GJ 

I will shoot the Federal  box ammo in my pistols .

But in my rifles , I only shoot CCI ammo .

And mostly Mini Mag Ammo .

So saith The Rooster 

I took an old model vaquero stock hammer spring and cut to the length of the wrangler spring. Took it out and fired fifty rounds of cheap ammo. I had one FTF. I turned it and it fired. Bad spot in the priming material?  Possibly. I'll test more. By the way, it really helped in the cocking department. 

I used a spring I had for old model Vaqueros.  The one that come in a pack of 3. Red, blue, and yellow. I used the blue one, I lost the package they come in so I'm not sure about the spring poundage.

I have a couple. Put 17 lb Wolff springs in them. They work fine on Remington ThunderBolts and their Golden Bullets. Also some bulk pac Federals and std velocity CCIs.

Archived