SASS Wire Forum

FRanken Gun

Sergeant Smokepole #29248L

A few months ago, I got my hands on a SAA frame by an unknown manufacturer. It had a chopped down Colt barrel and a front sight made from an Israeli 50 Shekel gold coin. It shoots low... Really low. I think the previous owner set it up to shoot 165 grainers. It also would not set on half cock for loading. I bought a replacement hammer from Numrich Arms and installed it. Now, my Frankengun is working properly. I need to adjust the trigger return spring tension a mite but it is workable as is by manually pressing the trigger forward. Next step, make a new sight to the proper height for 250 grainers. I could shoot lighter bullets but I am a warthog at heart.  

BTW, the value of that 50 Shekel piece was approximately 250 dollars before it was chopped up.....lol Yes, it is a real gold coin....

Pictures are greatly needed!   

Value of your coin sight would probably only be melt value, so however much it weighs times the current price of gold per ounce.

My mind is screaming at me to say keep the front sight as is.  It just sounds to cool to have one like that.  It might be more difficult, but maybe a good smith can somehow build up the sight in some way?

Hmm....   We should start a "Show me a pic of your Frankengun" thread.

Please correct me if I am wrong!  But make sure you keep the filings  when you file down the sight to bring the POI up.         GW

If its already shooting low with your "warthog" loads, why do you want to lengthen / raise the front sight height? Seems filing down the existing sight will raise your POI. :)

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

If its already shooting low with your "warthog" loads, why do you want to lengthen / raise the front sight height? Seems filing down the existing sight will raise your POI. :)

What he said. Shooting low means the front sight is too tall. Basically pushing the barrel down. Filing some off raises the barrel/ POI

sounds like a slight hammer blow on top of that soft sight might fix it to me , but then i dont have gold sights on any of mine , congrats on the find and getting it fixed , 

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 12:04 PM, Captain Clark said:

I made a mistake. It was shooting almost a foot high at 30 feet.

UPDATE!!!!

I ordered a new front sight and tried silver soldering it. For some god unknown reason, it wouldn't hold. I was about to order another barrel for over 150 yankee greenbacks when I was scrolling through Midway's site and saw a product by Locktite. It is Locktite Black. A glue designed for bonding metal to metal.  I ordered some along with another front sight and puddled in the glue, and put some on the base of the sight. I waited a few minutes until the glue was starting to set up and then inserted the sight into the groove that was in the barrel. As it was curing, the sight slightly shifted. The glue isn't perfect but it passes the 10 foot test. I took it out last week and fired a box of .45 Colt rounds loaded to about 800 FPS. I was flabbergasted. The glue held. Now, my Frankengun is a shooter again. It hits to point of aim elevation and about an inch or so to the right. I can live with this if I add a sliver of daylight to the right side of the sight... Old boy is happy again.....

2 hours ago, Sergeant Smokepole #29248L said:

UPDATE!!!!

I ordered a new front sight and tried silver soldering it. For some god unknown reason, it wouldn't hold. I was about to order another barrel for over 150 yankee greenbacks when I was scrolling through Midway's site and saw a product by Locktite. It is Locktite Black. A glue designed for bonding metal to metal.  I ordered some along with another front sight and puddled in the glue, and put some on the base of the sight. I waited a few minutes until the glue was starting to set up and then inserted the sight into the groove that was in the barrel. As it was curing, the sight slightly shifted. The glue isn't perfect but it passes the 10 foot test. I took it out last week and fired a box of .45 Colt rounds loaded to about 800 FPS. I was flabbergasted. The glue held. Now, my Frankengun is a shooter again. It hits to point of aim elevation and about an inch or so to the right. I can live with this if I add a sliver of daylight to the right side of the sight... Old boy is happy again.....

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!!    WE NEED PICTURES!!!!

Here's the pics. I also had to weld the frame where the firing pin hole was all buggered up.

0726191742b.jpg

0606191039b.jpg

0606191039.jpg

0328191722_Burst01.jpg

0323201503.jpg

0323201502_Burst01.jpg

0323201502.jpg

Archived