SASS Wire Forum

Free spin problem

Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

2 Ruger new Vaqueros that were "free spinning" just fine, utill I put in SBH hammers.  Now one sorta spins backwards, but I can feel the cyl. dragging on the pawl.  The other gun won't spin backward at all.  What's up?

I ain't no gunsmith!

You could have exchanged the cylinders by mistake. Not as interchangeable as Ruger would like to think. Check the 3 digits on the cylinders to see if they match the gun.

Sounds like the pawl face will have to be shortened a " skosh " to let the pawls be free enough to free-spin.  If the hammers are not drilled with the pawl pivot hole EXACTLY the same as the original hammers, the pawls need to be re-fitted for free spin.

Strangely, skosh is a WW II G.I. shortening of a Japanese word for a tiny bit - "skoh shee"

Good luck, GJ

Strangely, skosh is a WW II G.I. shortening of a Japanese word for a tiny bit - "skoh shee" “

Cool!

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Sounds like the pawl face will have to be shortened a " skosh " to let the pawls be free enough to free-spin.  If the hammers are not drilled with the pawl pivot hole EXACTLY the same as the original hammers, the pawls need to be re-fitted for free spin.

Strangely, skosh is a WW II G.I. shortening of a Japanese word for a tiny bit - "skoh shee"

Good luck, GJ

Which surface of the pawl needs a bit removed?  Same as when an orig model is "free spinn" converted?

6 minutes ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

Which surface of the pawl needs a bit removed?  Same as when an orig model is "free spin" converted?

Most likely you are now faced with almost "starting from scratch."  These trigger, hammer and pawl replacements are rarely totally drop in.   So, same as when the initial free spin was done - find what is keeping the free spin feature from working, and make it work again with the new hammers.

I'd send the guns back to the smith who did the free spin originally and have him tune them again.

Good luck, GJ

Another common spot when swapping hammers is that the divot in the frame doesnt allow for the proper travel. check if loosening the grip frame a touch fixes it, if it does thats often the indication that the tail of the pawls are getting stuck on the frame and not moving away enough

1 hour ago, Irish-Pat said:

I thought you could free spin Ruger by just taking out the tiny ball and spring under the grip on the left of the hammer 

Ya can, with the original hammer.  When I added the SBH hammers, things changed:(.   They're not "drop in" parts

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Dang, I just bought 4- SBHs hoping for a drop in fit!:(

Most of the time they are, I've put in over a dozen over the years and this is the 1st time I"ve had a problem.  They work fine, just won't allow the "free spin" to function!

Archived