SASS Wire Forum

Knife Sharpening Systems

Pat Riot

:ph34r:  I keep an old coffee mug with water in it and dunk the stone and brush a few strokes with an old toothbrush every 20 strokes.  I wipe the blade about every 2 cycles with a paper towel to clean off the metal residue.  (A cycle is 20 strokes on each side of the blade)

I've found the oil to be too messy, and don't use it at all.  Once you get a routine down you'll be amazed at how you can SLICE  a tomato instead of squashing it.....

My new system came in. Missing a stone. Amazon sent a replacement. Got it last night. Gonna try it out tomorrow. Today is motorcycle day! Yeehaw! Beautiful weather! :D

Lansky.

I can't use a Whet Stone to save my sorry backside but my Lansky will put a shaving edge on a blade.

I commonly use the coarse stone only. I like the coarse-stone edge: if you look at a surgeon's scalpel under a microscope you'll see it has the characteristic sawblade appearance of a coarse-stone edge, not the smooth, stropped shaving edge.

Ideally, though, a knife with two blades, the big blade with the coarse stone, the spay blade with the shaving edge.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:31 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s looking like “Lansky”. :D

I like the concept. 

Is this a good deal?

Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q.TjEbPK624FB

And the C clamp?

Lansky Super "C" Clamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8L6NQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JcUjEb069TBT1

I built my own off of their basic 3 stone set up.  I added a extra fine stone and a coarse serrated stone.  The basic 3 stones will get the job done but I like small knives to have a very sharp edge and I have a couple partial serrated blades.  Since serrated edges are basically saws, I don't see the need for more than a coarse sharpening on them.

If I was handed an empty box to set a 5 hone 'system'  up, I'd go extra coarse diamond (it's more 'aggressive' removing material for edge building), the standard medium and fine hones along with the yellow handled extra fine Arkansas hone.  If I wasn't worried about serrated, then I'd add one of their leather stropping hones.  If I was building a kit with some flexibility in mind. I'd want at least a coarse serrated hone

On 1/21/2020 at 1:21 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

The single best tool in the kitchen.

Avoid all the gimmick versions. You want a nice old fashioned Butchers steel

A Butcher's or Chef's steel is essential.  Every time you use a knife, the microscopic edge of the blade gets rolled in one direction or another.  Burnishing a blade after use straightens up the edge.  If you burnish a blade after using it, the edge will last longer.

By the way, the direction you use on the burnisher doesn't matter (sliding the blade towards our hands or away from them), nor does whether or not the burnisher is smooth or coarsely finished.  The traditional accessories for a Khukri include a burnisher that is smooth and it seems to have worked out well for the Gurkhas..

4 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I built my own off of their basic 3 stone set up.  I added a extra fine stone and a coarse serrated stone.  The basic 3 stones will get the job done but I like small knives to have a very sharp edge and I have a couple partial serrated blades.  Since serrated edges are basically saws, I don't see the need for more than a coarse sharpening on them.

If I was handed an empty box to set a 5 hone 'system'  up, I'd go extra coarse diamond (it's more 'aggressive' removing material for edge building), the standard medium and fine hones along with the yellow handled extra fine Arkansas hone.  If I wasn't worried about serrated, then I'd add one of their leather stropping hones.  If I was building a kit with some flexibility in mind. I'd want at least a coarse serrated hone

I guess I need to look at there site. I wasn’t aware they had stones for serrated blades. Thank you. :)

The 5 stone set I bought has the black really course stone added to their 4 stone set. I went ahead and bought their “Sapphire Blue” ultra fine honing stone. It’s 2000 grit. 

I also discovered they have curved stones for sharpening inwardly curved blades like Karambits. I will need a couple of those too for a couple of knives I have. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I guess I need to look at there site. I wasn’t aware they had stones for serrated blades. Thank you. :)

The 5 stone set I bought has the black really course stone added to their 4 stone set. I went ahead and bought their “Sapphire Blue” ultra fine honing stone. It’s 2000 grit. 

I also discovered they have curved stones for sharpening inwardly curved blades like Karambits. I will need a couple of those too for a couple of knives I have. 

Now you know why they sell the empty boxes.:D

Archived