SASS Wire Forum

Knife Sharpening Systems

Pat Riot

I am looking for a quality knife sharpening system. I have always used whet stones but it appears I have lost my knack for controlling the proper angles. Most recently I have been using small dedicated angle knife sharpeners from Redi Edge. They work okay for a quick touch up.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAXGMR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AKLjEbBZ4Z04F

I am looking for something like this Spyderco set up. I am told it’s a pretty good system. 
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Spyderco-Triangle-Sharpmaker-P294C98.aspx

Can anyone vouch for that or recommend better?

I want it for my pocket knives and kitchen knives. 

Thank you 

I have the Spyderco and it works good but I still seem to go back to my whetstone       GW

:ph34r:  I use the Spyderco unit for quick and easy, and it's often good enough, but if you have more time and/or higher quality knives, you can't beat the Lansky deluxe system.  I use both stone and diamond sets.  I use them for my own use and for commercial sharpening.  I've sharpened everything from a 1" secondary blade on a Victorinox  Executive to a Garand bayonet and a 1943 issue GI machete.  I use water, not the provided oil, to flush the metal from the stones about every 20 swipes.

I avoid anything electrically powered.  If you carefully view a knife's edge through a quality lense with a good light, you often see small areas of the very edge which get overheated.  Over time, this bodes ill for the consistent sharpness of the blade.

All of the sets using a jig depend on correct setup for both the blade and the stone.

59 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  I use the Spyderco unit for quick and easy, and it's often good enough, but if you have more time and/or higher quality knives, you can't beat the Lansky deluxe system.  I use both stone and diamond sets.  I use them for my own use and for commercial sharpening.  I've sharpened everything from a 1" secondary blade on a Victorinox  Executive to a Garand bayonet and a 1943 issue GI machete.  I use water, not the provided oil, to flush the metal from the stones about every 20 swipes.

I avoid anything electrically powered.  If you carefully view a knife's edge through a quality lense with a good light, you often see small areas of the very edge which get overheated.  Over time, this bodes ill for the consistent sharpness of the blade.

All of the sets using a jig depend on correct setup for both the blade and the stone.

I have a Lansky that I've used for close to twenty years and it does a great job.  I don't want to shave with it but I believe I could in a jam and do a fine job with it.

7 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

++++++ for the Lansky

LL

It’s looking like “Lansky”. :D

I like the concept. 

Is this a good deal?

Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q.TjEbPK624FB

And the C clamp?

Lansky Super "C" Clamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8L6NQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JcUjEb069TBT1

I do have one of those Work Sharp belt sharpening systems. I made one fumble sharpening my favorite knife and it took the point right off of it. That thing is now relegated to odd jobs. None of my good knives will ever be sharpened on one of those again but they are good for other jobs. 

No offense meant. 

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I like the concept. 

Is this a good deal?

Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8IEA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q.TjEbPK624FB

And the C clamp?

Lansky Super "C" Clamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B8L6NQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JcUjEb069TBT1

When I bought my Lansky (about 10 years ago), the kit included a stand.  Looks like you need to buy it as a separate item now.

Great system.

LL

Clerk in local hardware store saw me eyeballing a Work Sharp knife sharpener.  Talked a little and asked if my knife was dull.  Pulled it out telling wasn't real sharp.   He promptly dulled it on his demo machine.        Fixed it when I got home.  Do think they might have a use but not sure what it is yet       GW

Lansky!!!   :wub:

Howdy,

I use an old Buck knife sharpener. Two ceramic sticks in a plastic holder.

One and only one angle.

Clean the sticks with comet and lots of water from time to time.

And I always carry a bandaid for folks who insist on touching my blade.

They say something about how it doesn't feel very sharp and then of course.....blood.

A few years back a fella needed several knives sharpened for a fishing trip.

I started sharpening his old beatup knives while we talked and had a beer.

When he was leaving he asked when the knives would be ready.

I said that they were ready now.  

He said no way.

I picked a piece of typing paper out of the wastebasket.

He chose a knife and I sliced that paper in two with one swipe.

He took the knives and went fishing.  NO complaints

These pop up on ebay from time to time. Similar idea to Lansky but cheaper.

Best

CR

Funny, just 2 days ago I was looking at sharpeners on Amazon and Ebay. Had an old cheap one called Pro Edge or something like that. Did an okay job on kitchen knives but finally wore out. Thanks guys, now I've decided on which one to get.....Lansky. Just haven't decided on the C-clamp or stand, probably go with the C-clamp.

Yup, another vote for the Lansky.  I used to take it with me hunting.  I would sit around the fire at night sharpening everybody's knives (amazing how many knives come out in a hunting camp when somebody offers to sharpen them), and they would do my chores for me in return.  I never had to chop firewood, cook or do the dishes for years.  :D

1 minute ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Another vote for the Lansky.  I've used one for over 25 years and have found nothing I like better.

I have had mine for about 30 years. Use it to do the initial sharpening on all my knives. 

Most of the time I can touch up the edge with a butchers steel. Whenthat no longer works I use a pair of ceramic sticks in a wooden holder with two angle choices. Only have to get out the Lansky if I really mess up the edge.  

:ph34r:  PR, the Amazon deal on the Lansky is great....very near what I have to pay wholesale from my suppliers.  I have never felt the need for the C-clamp stand.

OLG's suggestion for Comet as a stone cleaner is terrific!  BTW, I get the edge angle set and edge fully sharp with the xtra coarse stone, then rapidly work through the other grits taking the striations from the blade until the white stone, which basically polishes the cutting edge. 

Hint:  I begin with a black magic marker line on each side of the edge so I can easily duplicate the original blade angle.  Also, if you look edge-on and can actually 'see' the edge, it's not yet sharp.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I like the concept. 

Is this a good deal?

And the C clamp?

Yes to both, good deal.

Hint- when you run out of honing oil.

Get a qt of Dextron III, ATF.

Post up how it all works out.....

OLG 

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The single best tool in the kitchen.

Avoid all the gimmick versions. You want a nice old fashioned Butchers steel

Steeling reshapes a rolled edge.

Honeing re-cuts the blade edge because of wear to the edge.

PR, FWIW-Chris Reeve, one of the very top knife makers recommends the Spyderco system. 

If the Spydi system didn't exist. I'd be use'n the Lansky. ;)

OLG 

3 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Clerk in local hardware store saw me eyeballing a Work Sharp knife sharpener.  Talked a little and asked if my knife was dull.  Pulled it out telling wasn't real sharp.   He promptly dulled it on his demo machine.        Fixed it when I got home.  Do think they might have a use but not sure what it is yet       GW

Great for sanding small parts. Seriously. They are worth having but not for nice knives. 

I have one of those work sharp belt sanders too.  Wouldn't let any of my good knives near it.  I use it to put an edge back on the kukri-machete I use on the trees,  bushes and bamboo in the yard (occasionally pull out a katana to trim the bamboo too, much more fun).  I have used it to start an edge on unsharpened blade blanks that dont have enough edge geometry to use my lansky on...but once the blade angle is started, I put the belt sander away.

Well, I just bought myself a birthday present. I bought the Lansky 5 stone Deluxe System, the Lansky C-clamp and the table top mount. I wasn’t sure which mount I would like so I bought both. :D

Thank you all for your recommendations. I will try it out when it arrives and let you know what I think. ;)

4 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

I'm sure most of y'all already know this, but maybe someone hasn't seen it yet.  Not much help for Pat's original question, but handy to know.

I have to say that the sound a knife makes on a car window is nearly pure torture to me. Man! That sound is maddening. 

My Dad showed me this trick when I was a kid. Then I showed him how good old ceramic house wire insulators work. I won! :D He thought that was pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I just bought myself a birthday present. I bought the Lansky 5 stone Deluxe System, the Lansky C-clamp and the table top mount. I wasn’t sure which mount I would like so I bought both. :D

Thank you all for your recommendations. I will try it out when it arrives and let you know what I think. ;)

Good choice--

We're expecting a full review with pictures :excl:;)

BTW, go buy a box of Band-aids. :lol::P

OLG 

34 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good choice--

We're expecting a full review with pictures :excl:;)

BTW, go buy a box of Band-aids. :lol::P

OLG 

Why? Are you coming over to help? :P

I only need 1 bandaid per 5 knives sharpened...I only do 4 at a time for safety reasons. :D

I'm going to go ahead and order the same items as Pat did. Looks like a good system to fit my needs.

My dad still hones his blades on stones by hand, even at 82 years old. One time, years back, someone at work (with a full beard) asked him how sharp his pocket knife was. He replied that it was sharp enough to shave with. The guy said really, go ahead and give me a trim. He did, shaved about a 2" long, 1" wide swath off the side of his face. Next day, he came in clean shaven. No one ever asked him how sharp his knife was again.

Got my Lansky kit today. I was a little surprised at how small it is. Looks like a nice system though. I opted for the table top mount. Mount it to a piece of wood and I've plenty of c-clamps laying around if needed.

I'm a little confused as to the honing oil, do I use it on every stone or just the fine ones? When I used to use a stone, I used oil every time.

As per OLG, clean the stones with Comet. Is that clean every time and do I just use water/Comet with some type of brush? 

My good kitchen knives look like my gal tried cutting rebar with them so I'll be sharpening away tomorrow !!

Archived