SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Flintlock

Okiepan

Gotta be my Ferguson carbine.  ^_^

My son, Sassparilla Kid, with the charcoal burner ~ .62 caliber  :)

100_5526.thumb.JPG.7c60593dd383591a1faeb9ebb8c41866.JPG

100_5527.thumb.JPG.24201be6ce2456be1289f3cc478362ef.JPG

1370985469_100_5530b.thumb.jpg.caf50fc66a4c0e42e1fd651b5982bb2e.jpg

And here's the Kid with his Holly built flinter....  :)

By the way ~ note the Kid's buckle.  It's a bronze version of the pewter one pictured below.  Half-Breed Pete gave that to me about forty years ago.  I passed it on to the Kid when he was a teenager and he's worn it pretty much daily for the last fifteen years.  ;)

464271903_RyFlintlock3.JPG.0752efb93fccbe76573de4a81172bc0c.JPG

RyFlintlock4.JPG.29d79efd4cc059bfdd4b2246f0050e76.JPG

567091303_RyFlintlockBuckle.jpg.bea5a6d97c4266565fa75e1c387217e8.jpg

A classic custom .40 Pennsylvania - Kentucky rifle, made for me by a customer in 1976 when I still worked for Ray and Jackie Taylor at The Flintlock gun shop in Anaheim, CA.  It has a 42" swamped barrel, Siler flintlock, compound set triggers, and a maple stock.  The barrel was a reworked off the shelf piece that was reshaped and had a hooked breach on it.  It has a true full buckhorn rear sight and a steel front sight in a copper base.  If I do my job, it will do its job. Not too much figure in the stock and not a lot of metal decorations, but it is an elegant piece, almost "dainty" and a really fine gun to shoot and handle in the field.  Weight just under 8 pounds.

I don't remember the man's name and he didn't sign the gun.  It took over a year to get it and cost me $450.00, a HUGE sum in those days, paid off at $45.00 a month for a year.

Hoping it's going to be the "Issac Haynes" in 54 cal. that I'm building from a Chambers kit. Long way to go yet however!

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

A classic custom .40 Pennsylvania - Kentucky rifle, made for me by a customer in 1976 when I still worked for Ray and Jackie Taylor at The Flintlock gun shop in Anaheim, CA.  It has a 42" swamped barrel, Siler flintlock, compound set triggers, and a maple stock.  The barrel was a reworked off the shelf piece that was reshaped and had a hooked breach on it.  It has a true full buckhorn rear sight and a steel front sight in a copper base.  If I do my job, it will do its job. Not too much figure in the stock and not a lot of metal decorations, but it is an elegant piece, almost "dainty" and a really fine gun to shoot and handle in the field.  Weight just under 8 pounds.

I don't remember the man's name and he didn't sign the gun.  It took over a year to get it and cost me $450.00, a HUGE sum in those days, paid off at $45.00 a month for a year.

Rod, what is a swamped barrel?

9 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

A barrel that is wider at the breech and muzzle than it is in the middle; helps reduce weight and balance better:

Golden%20Age%20Swamp.jpg

3 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

This one....NC style southern mountain .45

My Flintlock.jpg

Beautiful rifle, Sam!  Since I shoot all long arms lefty style, I've always wanted a nice left handed flinter.  Dixie used to sell a left handed Tennessee rifle in .36 cal., and I think they still do.  But even the kit guns are out of my ball park price wise.

How about a used to was flintlock.

This was an 1814 Harpers Ferry Musket. It was converted to percussion by the Deringer process and cut down. It was common for the south to cut them back for Cavalry  use but there is no guarantee this one was. It’s light short and perfectly balanced  

4AEC782B-600F-4AB1-A6F9-ADE276554EAC.jpeg

11 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I'm guessing Yellowhouse Sam is a South Paw.  :D  Beautiful stock even if it was built backwards! 

Hey! I resemble that remark! :P I don't shoot flinters cause I'm a lefty. All that flash right between my eyes will give a guy a flinch! And I'm not buyin no more lefty guns. 

10 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

It's an octagonal barrel, never seen nor heard of it being done to a round barrel. Starts out at one dimension, gets narrower as it approaches the muzzle, then gets a bit larger the last 10-12inches.  The muzzle is always smaller than the breach but larger than the narrowest portion.  The bore is the same all the way unlike a blunderbus.  Mine was a 66 even twist with seven lands and grooves bore, but I've seen a few that had a gain twist.  Much more money and I never saw any benefit in the hands of most shooters.

It reduces weight some and just looks amazingly good.  Sort of "gracefuls" the whole thing up. It also increases the cost a bunch.

I'm a little short on flintlocks - two Lyman GPR'S .50 & .54, a T/C Hawken .50, a Traditions "Shenandoah" .50, and a .45 CVA pistol I built from a kit about 50 years ago. The Lyman GPR's are definitely better rifles than the T/C and the Traditions. 

10 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :P I don't shoot flinters cause I'm a lefty. All that flash right between my eyes will give a guy a flinch! And I'm not buyin no more lefty guns. 

I have friends that thrive on wrong handed rifles.  One in particular who is a righty just makes sure his left eye is shut and he doesn't even notice the flash off the Siler lock.  In fact, he shoots mine as good as his own custom made rifle

18 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Beautiful rifle, Sam!  Since I shoot all long arms lefty style, I've always wanted a nice left handed flinter.  Dixie used to sell a left handed Tennessee rifle in .36 cal., and I think they still do.  But even the kit guns are out of my ball park price wise.

Take a look at Kibler  https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/rifle-kit  rifles and kits......IMHO the hands down best choice for first time builder or any except  the master builders.

29 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Take a look at Kibler  https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/rifle-kit  rifles and kits......IMHO the hands down best choice for first time builder or any except  the master builders.

Thanks, Sam.  These kits look great, and the prices are very reasonable.  Unfortunately, they don't offer left-handed versions yet.

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks, Sam.  These kits look great, and the prices are very reasonable.  Unfortunately, they don't offer left-handed versions yet.

YET, but Jim is now making his own locks and has stated left handed kits will be coming soon.

22 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

How about a used to was flintlock.

This was an 1814 Harpers Ferry Musket. It was converted to percussion by the Deringer process and cut down. It was common for the south to cut them back for Cavalry  use but there is no guarantee this one was. It’s light short and perfectly balanced  

4AEC782B-600F-4AB1-A6F9-ADE276554EAC.jpeg

That looks like a Common Rifle patchbox.

Howdy:

I have a  Pedersoli Blue Ridge Mountain rifle in .36 cal flintlock - a real dandy to shoot.  And I have a Investarms .58 cal Hawken flintlock from Cabelas and it is a very good deer stopper.  I intend to keep both of those til I leave earth. 

STL Suomi

23 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I'm a little short on flintlocks - two Lyman GPR'S .50 & .54, a T/C Hawken .50, a Traditions "Shenandoah" .50, and a .45 CVA pistol I built from a kit about years ago. The Lyman GPR's are definitely better rifles than the T/C and the Traditions. 

I bought a .50 GPR percussion when they first came out back in the mid 70s. (I worked in a black powder shop in Anaheim and got the first one through our door.) It's my favorite BP rifle and shoots right on the mark with 75 gr. Goex FFFg and a 490round ball with a cotton tee shirt patch and some moose juice lube that a friend brewed up.

Archived