SASS Wire Forum

Chiappa Mares Leg questions

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Does anyone out here have a Chiappa Mares Leg in .44 Magnum?   If so, I have some questions for you.

1.  According to everything I have read, they have a magazine capacity of 4.   Doing some quick math, I get the impression that they may hold 5 .44 Specials.  Is this correct?  If it is correct, will the gun work properly with the shorter cartridges?   My Rossi 92 and a vintage Winchester in .44 Magnum (the latter being rebarreled) don't like the Specials very much.

2.  Assuming that the gun will work just fine with the .44 Special, but still wont hold 5 in the magazine, what happens if you try to run .44 Russians in it?  I tried once to run .38 Long Colts in a Rossi .357, and it would not do it.   I assume a similar problem would occur with the .44's.   So I guess the question is can a 92 made for .44 Magnums be modified somehow to run .44 Russians?

All of this is at the moment hypothetical for research purposes.   I may not be able to own one of these guns at the moment, but if my circumstances change, I'd like to have the information I need to determine if I should get one, of just accept the ugly safety and longer barrel on the Rossi Ranch Hand.  (And save a few bucks in the process.)

I would direct the question to Nate Kiowa Jones to see if the gun could be modified, but I will say that I have never heard of anyone getting a '92 to run .44 Russian.   Nor getting a .357 '92 to run .38 Colt, as far as that goes.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Who made your 92?

It’s a Japanese made Winchester (kinda like some of the Brownings).

Japanese-made Winchesters are  manufactured by Miroku Corporation, right?

Cat Brules 

17 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Japanese-made Winchesters are  manufactured by Miroku Corporation, right?

Have been for many years.  

Miroku does really fine work.   Sometimes I wish they had a better supply of walnut, though, as they often install a blond colored walnut. 

For a while, Miroku subbed the assembly work on BSS shotguns out to a South Korean firm, and so marked the guns.   I think that has stopped now and Miroku does all the work once again.   I enjoy my Miroku-made guns (got one Model 500 shotgun that even has their own name on it).   Charles Daly SxS shotguns were also made by Miroku for a while.

Good luck, GJ

That’s the name.  Unfortunately, I left that 92 (along w my heart) in San Francisco.  

So, I don’t have it to refer to.  

I run 44 russian through 4 of my wheel guns, so whether a 92 can be made to feed them shorties would be interesting to me as well, H.K.Uriah.

Archived