SASS Wire Forum

Side Match

Jeb Stuart #65654

Saw a video here on the wire of a side match that was shot with several types of guns.  Have tried doing a search several times with no luck.  Does anyone know of the club that did this side match?  Thanks in advance for any help.

49 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

All on the same stage, different targets, trapdoor, cap and ball revolver, 97, 87, sxs, 73 rifle, pocket pistols, maybe others.

I have seen posts here in the past about a side match called "The Great Train Robbery" that used a plethora of different guns all on one stage.   If I recall correctly, it was done out west somewhere, possibly California.  I think it used all of the standard main match guns, plus a pocket pistol, derringer, 1911, "rifle caliber" lever gun, bolt action military rifle, single shot rifle, SxS and either a 97 or an 87.  Never seen a video for it though.

The Great Train Robbery was done at Ridgecrest, CA by the Robbers Roost Vigilantes as described.  Another favorite is Master Gunfighter by Sutter Lawman in Sacramento and is similar.  They're great side matches to add to the fun of SASS.

36 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

The Great Train Robbery was done at Ridgecrest, CA by the Robbers Roost Vigilantes as described.  Another favorite is Master Gunfighter by Sutter Lawman in Sacramento and is similar.  They're great side matches to add to the fun of SASS.

I just looked up one of our  Great Train Robbery scenarios.  10 guns, 62 rounds.  Truly a ball to shoot.

I wish shoots like this where you pretty much everything were more common.   To me the whole purpose of side matches is to have fun with different things.  (Speed this that and the other thing just doesn't interest me since I am so slow.)

As far as the above video goes, I have everything but the cap and ball guns, but I guess I could borrow them from someone.  :)

Question:  Does everything have to black powder?

The only thing I think should be different is that since you are using both a SxS AND a repeating shotgun, the repeater should be pre-stoked.

We have done that at Butterfield Gulch in Chapman, KS.  We called it the all gun side match. We used all your main match guns, a 1911, a long range rifle, PP, derringer and 22 rifle and revolver. Its a hoot to shoot!

Years ago when Possum Trott was still open and had the Smokeout in the Hills, they had Ringers Humdinger. It covered 3 stages and everything from throwing a knife to shooting at a 200 yard target (with a provided Long Range Rifle). You needed oxygen when you got to the end.

Randy

1 hour ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

We have done that at Butterfield Gulch in Chapman, KS.  We called it the all gun side match. We used all your main match guns, a 1911, a long range rifle, PP, derringer and 22 rifle and revolver. Its a hoot to shoot!

I like the sound of that.  Adding the .22s is a nice twist.

4 hours ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

Check out JedI Tv it could be one of the Master Gunfighter side match.

https://youtu.be/Bm6hIaUcS0o

Take 4 shots from a big bore single shot 1874 Remington Trapdoor Rifle, 10 rounds from a Lever Action Rifle (1866 or 1873), 2 shots from a Double Barrel Shotgun, 10 rounds from a pair of Percussion (aka, Cap N Ball) Revolvers (1851, 1858, etc), 10 rounds from a pair of Single Action Cartridge Revolvers, 5 rounds from a Pocket Pistol, 2 rounds from a Derringer, 2 rounds from a Lever Action Shotgun (1887), 4 rounds from a big bore Lever Action 1895 Winchester Rifle, 4 rounds from a pump action Winchester Model 1912 and, finally, 5 rounds from a 1911 style semi-automatic pistol

22 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

We used to do that type of stage at the Idaho State Match.   It was done for the top gun shoot off.   I think they also did that at the Oregon State this last year.   Look for the match on Jedi TV.   Bullett 19707

it was at the Oregon State Blackpowder Match.

Archived