SASS Wire Forum

Where to Buy- New Hammer Spring for Old '94 Winchester

Cholla Hill Tirador

I was recently given this fascinating old Winchester that will celebrates its 105th birthday this year.

1hVQqjw.jpg

The butt stock is split lengthwise and has been repaired with brass screws and the forearms has a deep, rounded dent in it; I'd nearly bet its been bucked off of a horse, judging from the damages. It was covered in rust (that turned out to be mostly surface) and the lever could barely be worked with one hand. After a disassembly and good cleaning it's better, but still pretty difficult, owing to the very heavy hammer spring. Adjusting the hammer tension screw doesn't help.

Any ideas as to where I can get a replacement hammer spring?

Thanks!

Cholla

Wisner's will be your best bet!  Newly made parts, call and determine that you're ordering the correct "stirrup" type mainspring if ours is of that vintage.  There are two pre-64 springs for a straight grip, one with the stirrup, and one that is a flat spring used in the later pre-94s.  Numrich only sells used parts, and sometimes gets some 94 parts mis-labeled.

If the spring is still intact, wouldn’t it benefit from polishing?  i’m used to springs weakening with age, not becoming stronger.

Archived