SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Coach Gun Problems

Wyatt Penny, SASS #19029

Hey Folks,

Just recently, my 12GA Stoeger Coach

Gun action started opening after the first

round fired. Can close the action and the second round fires normally. 
      Using light target loads. Any ideas?

The sliding lock that engages the lug under the barrels is not sliding completely on to the lug.

Mark the top of the lug with a felt pen where the lock engages and close the gun.

Open the gun and see how much of the mark is removed.

If the lug is not moving completely accross the lug, I would use a small file and ramp the lug slight ly.

Maybe 3 o4 draws of the file.

Remark and try again.

I file the lug down a little at a time until the lock slides almost all the way. Not all the way to allow for wear.

There will be more suggestions to come.

Consider all of them and then decide your best course of action.

Just remember to take slow small steps so you do not over do it and then have to replace parts.

First off.. I ain't a gunsmith.. :huh:

My Stoeger started doing this when I installed a lightened lever spring..

It would pop open ever so slightly (hard to even notice) causing the 

2nd. Barrel not to fire..

I installed the original stock lever spring and the problem went away..

Could it be that your lever spring has weakened from use to create the problem??

Rance;)

Thinkin' I don't know either:huh::huh:

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Or there is not enough spring holding it in place.  Has the spring been replaced with a lighter spring or cut.    New spring could be the answer.    GW

Cliff Hanger identified the main problem.  To keep costs down, that area is not properly finished. 

The sliding lock needs to engage most of the lock.  Since the steel isn't TOO hard, it will wear under the pressures.  Then the angle is such that the lock will open.

Stoeger's solution is to use a stronger spring on the lever, but it would not be needed if the parts fit properly.  So it is a "fix" but not the best solution.

A smith can adjust the "timing" to make the lock advance further - and it can be done in a reasonable amount of time..  It is best to do that when new.  Then a larger surface drastically reduces the wear.

This just recently happened to my stoeger.

The rear most screw on forearm worked loose over 7 years of use. After several popping open after 1st barrel firing it finally sheared. That's when I noticed.

Local smithy told me sheared screw came out easily. Retapped  and replaced  screw. Works fine now. Some how that screw assists in locking the barrels.

Perhaps someone can explain?

I had the same issue also . When i first started out i had someone who was not really a smith slick my stoeger up.  Not to long after that i started having this same issue.  I had a reputable smith in our club look at it and he knew right away what the problem was , he added a little weld to the backside of the lug , reprofiled and polished and its been fine ever since.

Archived