SASS Wire Forum

Shooting on the move Part II

Shooting Bull

If you’re interested in the beginning of the conversation you can find it here: Shooting on the move - Definition

Since I don’t want to hijack my own thread I’m starting this one to ask a follow on question. 

The other thread started off talking about foot movement. As the conversation progressed we sort of opened the can of worms with regard to upper body movement. It seems some folks believe you can have both feet firmly planted but if your upper body never stops moving you earn yourself a SDQ. Are they correct? I’ve seen and been guilty of leaning toward the next shooting position while I fire the last couple of shots out of pistols, rifle and shotgun. If both feet are planted does leaning alone earn a SDQ? Sometimes when doing this one foot comes off the ground. Is that a SDQ? 

It's all about the feet.   Continuous movement of the feet is what is prohibited!   If I stand still and wave my arms about, that is NOT continuous movement in Cowboy shooting!

10 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

some folks believe you can have both feet firmly planted but if your upper body never stops moving you earn yourself a SDQ. Are they correct?

#*\\  NO. 

Talk about folks REALLY dead set on handing out penalties!  And a stiff one at that!

:lol::o  GJ

Shooting BP, I lean, squat, shift, twist, duck & sometimes go up on my toes. If one foot doesn't move yer good to go.

Sorri Bull, but when your upper body can lean further than most of us can take 2 steps, then

you gotta bear the consequences of being 'large'..... :lol:

Actually, the answer is a definitive............. NO!

And the gall of anyone who would stoop so low as to even conjure up the thought of giving such a 

penalty should be assessed a SOG just for creating such an annoying way to try and 

harass fellow shooters.

This kind of stuff  (self rule creation) has got to stop.   And maybe one day, SASS will create a penalty to give

those who create their own rules just to penalize another shooter.

..........Widder

How in the world would you regulate that? Do we shoot in actual "cone" where you can only move so much?

Do we leave it up to spotters or the TO to determine? Good gosh we open a can o worms there...

CBB, you get a SDQ on every stage. Hahahahaha :P

We ALL do!

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

How in the world would you regulate that? Do we shoot in actual "cone" where you can only move so much?

Do we leave it up to spotters or the TO to determine? Good gosh we open a can o worms there...

CBB, you get a SDQ on every stage. Hahahahaha :P

We ALL do!

Those of us who are shorter (less than 6') only get a MS because we didn't lean as far.

Tall folks (more than 6') earn a SDQ because they lean toooooooo far.

:D

..........Widder

So far people are focusing solely on the leaning part of the question, but that’s only part of my OP. What about the other part where I’m shooting while moving from one shooting positions? If both feet are planted but my upper body continues to move, is that a penalty? 

1 minute ago, Shooting Bull said:

So far people are focusing solely on the leaning part of the question, but that’s only part of my OP. What about the other part where I’m shooting while moving from one shooting positions? If both feet are planted but my upper body continues to move, is that a penalty? 

You asked 3 questions in your original post.

I gave you 3 separate answers and several seem to agree.

Now go shoot!

52 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Seems to me that would fall under continuous fluid motion and be considered a penalty.

23 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

It's ALL ABOUT THE FEET!

GJ

THIS  ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

In fact, even "shuffling" your feet while shooting is not a penalty.  Having to move your feet to maintain balance from recoil, especial those of that are NOT weight challenged is a HIGH probability!  No penalties.  And:

15 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And maybe one day, SASS will create a penalty to give

those who create their own rules just to penalize another shooter.

There is, unsportsmanlike conduct;  I just don't know when to apply it!   I especially like those that will call something like this, then do the exact same thing themselves;  AND THEN argue about it when someone tries to call them on their "rule"!

3 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

"yes , not to mention the crossdraw dance that should not result in any type of penalty " The cross draw dance is not a thing, not required. Turn your hips slightly is all thats needed to meet the 170.

This really dependent on just where your crossdraw is located on your body.  

21 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

If you’re interested in the beginning of the conversation you can find it here: Shooting on the move - Definition

Since I don’t want to hijack my own thread I’m starting this one to ask a follow on question. 

The other thread started off talking about foot movement. As the conversation progressed we sort of opened the can of worms with regard to upper body movement. It seems some folks believe you can have both feet firmly planted but if your upper body never stops moving you earn yourself a SDQ. Are they correct? I’ve seen and been guilty of leaning toward the next shooting position while I fire the last couple of shots out of pistols, rifle and shotgun. If both feet are planted does leaning alone earn a SDQ? Sometimes when doing this one foot comes off the ground. Is that a SDQ? 

If I remember correctly, this came about from a video posted on a social media forum by Ray Heartless.  The shooter was blazing away so fast, his upper body and legs leaning in continuous motion, that it was hard to see except by stop motion, that he still had one foot, if not "planted", at least is was toe-ing the same place.  The question was, "Does this earn an SDQ?"

Unless a spotter or TO was carefully watching the shooter's foot, it looked like "shooting on the move".  

So, what happens if the spotters and TO felt the shooter was "moving" while shooting, even if one foot remained mostly in one place?  We don't allow video review...  

Just now, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

This really dependent on just where your crossdraw is located on your body.  Well if you're wearing your cross draw at your side then you're right. I was thinking in front.

I knew that, but some probably don't, and I just thought I'd clarify.  I wear mine in front, normally stand in a Weaver stance and only need a slight swivel to put the muzzle straight downrange.  Folks that wear their crossdraw at their side, could easily consider the "Twist Draw" and move even less!

Archived