SASS Wire Forum

Tips For Shooting In Heavy Smoke

Lil_Rob

Ya should have seem how fast the spotters got out of the Saloon at WR 2016 when I started Shooting I burn 1.3 pounds of Goex per 12 stage match ,,,,If I don't have any Shotgun Make-ups...

Different Shoot,

Movement and starting on the Right side of Sweeps is a help ,,,,, One stage called for dumping 5 on each target placed 7 feet apart with both rifle and Revolvers ...

But you could choose Firearm order but Rifle couldn't be last ,,,,, So I Shot it Rifle First starting Standing tall working my way till shots 9 &10 were from my knees, Staged the Rifle  Open /empty on Haybale , move to the shotgun side of bay swept the 6 ,stage gun Open/empty,,,, back to the two dump targets started Tall and ended up on my knees again for shot 9 & 10 from the Revolvers....

Standing Tall, Crouching, On one Knee then from both Knees .....

Jabez Cowboy 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/19/2020 at 7:49 AM, Lil_Rob said:

Thought I'd give frontier cartridge a try for awhile. Shot my first match with no wind and heavy smoke. Are there any tricks or something different you do when this happens? I'm shooting 45 LC

Shoot through the hole in the smoke you made with the previous round.

Keep both eyes open.  It really helps me with seeing through the smoke most of the time. 

I shoot 200 grain bullets in 44-40 and I can't see the targets a lot of the time.  I am not fast, so I rely on a lot of luck.

Memorize the targets and pray!!!  :D

21 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Memorize the targets and pray!!!  :D

Memorize the targets?!

I can't even remember why I walked down the hallway just now.

Oh yeah, I was going to get a jacket and go....

No wait, I was going to....

Squirrel!

Well...  along with all the other good practices mentioned, I figure if you have multiple shots on the same target & if it doesn't move & I don't move,  as long as the 1st shot hits the rest should be right there too.   (sometimes I swear they moved... or maybe it's they moved & I swear. lol)

9 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Make sure your shotgun muzzle protrudes through any doorway or window

But... But... that would deprive the TO of experiencing all that wonderful smoke up close. :P :P

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

But... But... that would deprive the TO of experiencing all that wonderful smoke up close. :P :P

My thoughts exactly :lol:

Tell you what's really funny, one of the cowboys that runs the timer for me said he holds his breath after the first shot...

Challenge accepted :o :lol::lol::lol:

12 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

As a joke next time I go to a match I'm going to bring the TO a surgical mask and tell'em I'm only lookin' out for'em.

That is an excellent idea.  :D:lol::D

I'm going to steal that.

Archived