SASS Wire Forum

Tip up barrel?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Ive seen some conceal carry pistols with tip up barrels.

Is there a big advantage to this feature?

Ive never owned or shot one. 

And what makers do the best job, what calibers...etc......

Just wondering.

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

You mean like this?

Beretta-3032-Tomcat-Cal-32-ACP_100853713_70986_B318DD3DF546A212.JPG.thumb.jpg.c715f0d733e09fbbdf374487e3699b37.jpg

As far as I know, those types are only made by Beretta and Taurus (which are cheap copies of Beretta). They're made in 22 short, 22 long rifle, 25 ACP, and (the big one, that I have pictured there, the Tomcat) in 32 ACP.

Since it is such a wee little gun, the slide cannot be very heavy. To make sure the slide retains the pressures of the shell being fired, the spring is very strong. Many people would find it difficult to rack the slide to load the first round.

So you push the little lever and the barrel pops up and you just drop the first round in it.

The one I have is a 25, and while I can rack the slide, it is so much easier to pop the barrel up.

1452913123_Beretta950BS25.jpg.0a4bc7fb3e5e5d9e75ef3914e9a987ce.jpg

What Alpo said. I know arthritic folks that own one because of the ability to load without operating the slide.

Beretta did make a .380 tip-up barrel, the model 86, but I don't think they manufacture them anymore.  It is the size of medium sized 9 mm and is soft shooting.  I always thought it would be a great house gun for someone with limited hand strength. 

I owned two Beretta Tomcats in .32 ACP, but neither one of them fed reliably for me. 

I carry a .44 or a .45. If its load isn't enough, you'd better either get some training or stay at home. I fire about 400 practice rounds each month.

I am arthritic, a tad past middle age :D and pretty deaf. My .44 and my .45 are quite comfortable and accurate. Why anyone of any age and any stage of arthritis would carry cute little .22s, .32s, 9mms or .38s escapes me.   :o

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I carry a .44 or a .45. If its load isn't enough, you'd better either get some training or stay at home. I fire about 400 practice rounds each month.

I am arthritic, a tad past middle age :D and pretty deaf. My .44 and my .45 are quite comfortable and accurate. Why anyone of any age and any stage of arthritis would carry cute little .22s, .32s, 9mms or .38s escapes me.   :o

I also carry a .45 -SOMETIMES.

I carry smaller calibers for several reasons.

1. I shoot them well.

2. They conceal better than my .45. I DO NOT and WILL NOT open carry in public.

3. They don't make a .45 small enough to conceal on my frame adequately that is comfortable for me to shoot a lot.

4. I LIKE my smaller guns too.

5,6, 7, and 8. It annoys some freaking "EXPERT" that can't or won't understand the above facts and insists on telling me what to carry.

Howdy,

I might have to look into a .22.  

If I don't like it most .22 sell pretty easy.

Like any tool there is a time and place for each caliber.

Who would want a .22 bouncing around in their guts?

Aurther is creeping up on the best of us.

I had some pains in my 40s that were the beginning of it for me.

Denial aint just a river in Africa, pards.

Best

CR

A .380 in my pocket beats a.45 left at home every time.

I’m over seventy with arthritic hands. I live in rural central western PA. and I’m retired and seldom go out after dark because I have no need to. If an area is sketchy I don’t go there. The only thing that I’m likely to need a gun for is to dispatch an injured deer. A .380 is all the gun that I should need for that or whatever else in all reality comes along 

I asked a well-known pistol carry advocate what would be the best pistol for my wife to carry. In a nut shell he said capacity, knock down power, and caliber don't mean a thing if she doesn't carry it. Big, heavy, thumper calibers aren't her thing, so tiny gun it is.

4 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Maybe because we aren't fixated on chest beating and are comfortable with our masculinity.

I carry as much gun as I can hide and not stand out like a Sherman button at a Georgia picnic.  If that's a .45 or my preferred .44 Special 5 shooter, then that's what I carry.  If I can't hide them, then the .32 Tomcat can go into the front pocket and I'm still armed with more than a harsh word.

I really could care less what others carry concealed, open or whatever.

I do think that tiny calibers are cute and sweet.

Semper Fi  :)

"Everyone to their own taste said the old lady as she kissed the cow!"

Dear old Dad once told me, "You pays-a you money and takes-a you choice."
On the other hand, I got a really good laugh out of Mud Marine's reply!

"Chest beating" and "masculinity" are the favourite denigrations of the LEFT!!!  :angry:

Hmmmmm----Trigger Mike mentioning Beretta making one in .22    never seen one was kinda thinking (hopeing?) they did------Gonna be buying a pistol for our daughter to carry----was kinda looking at the Taurus in 22 but  never heard any thing about them!-----plus or neg-----the tip up barrel & double action one thing  that's a plus ----I don't want her to be having to let hammer down on a live round----she's very inexperienced about guns-----had a Beretta Tomcat in 32 many years ago it was nice but 32-25 or 22 lr  not much difference to target----22 cartgs much cheaper & she could do a lot more target shooting & get used to shooting it-------let her try my snub nose 38 recoil was to much for her------be nice if someone made a very small 22 da revolver---

On 1/19/2020 at 10:48 AM, Michigan Slim said:

I also carry a .45 -SOMETIMES.

I carry smaller calibers for several reasons.

1. I shoot them well.

2. They conceal better than my .45. I DO NOT and WILL NOT open carry in public.

3. They don't make a .45 small enough to conceal on my frame adequately that is comfortable for me to shoot a lot.

4. I LIKE my smaller guns too.

5,6, 7, and 8. It annoys some freaking "EXPERT" that can't or won't understand the above facts and insists on telling me what to carry.

What he said.

9 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

"Chest beating" and "masculinity" are the favourite denigrations of the LEFT!!!  :angry:

The only thing Left about me is I'm left handed.

I just don't need to beat my chest while doing a Johnny Weismuller imitation or prove (compensate for?) anything by bragging about only shooting the biggest hardest recoiling things around.  My truck also doesn't have a sky high lift kit on it.

And folks that do beat their chest while doing their best Johnny Weismuller and are always bragging about how tough they are don't impress me much at all.  Quite the opposite, actually, since I have had the pleasure of being in the presence of some truly brave and tough men.  They all shared one interesting characteristic.   None of them talked about how brave or tough they were, they just did what needed done and carried on with their lives.  When folks talk too much about how tough they are, I just figure that they are just a bunch of talk and deal with them accordingly.

When it comes to concealed carry, ego gets set to the side and I base my carry decisions on cold hard facts.  I can't hide my ParaOrdnance P.13/45 (what's always loaded with 200gr Corbons) every day.  I can't hide the DAO 3 inch .44 Special 5 shooter that I prefer (because I can shoot it faster and straighter than the Para) every day either.  Rather than trying to impose my will on reality or just being unarmed, I stick the Tomcat- since I can shoot playing card sized groups with it at 25 feet- in my pocket.

Howdy,

Im going to break my try before ya buy rule and get one to try.

Local dealers have NONE.

So I guess if I hate it, someone will put it on consignment....

For Dirty Low Down.....

.22 double action R E V O L V E R??????? Ruger lcr and  cute reload system too.

I don't have one...….rats.

Best

CR

I read “tip up barrel” and I know it refers to a type of gun but it always brings to mind my time on a troopship when the kps brought up the garbage to the deck to toss overboard. They didn’t go far enough aft and just tipped the barrels over the side.  Four pvts aft of them immediately lost their breakfasts.

Back in the day my partner and I each carried a .22 short Minx on ambulance duty because they were so simple to conceal. Though not by the book you can chamber ream it to take a long rifle and it will reliably eject the empty. Always carried a Stinger in the chamber.

I"ve had the Beretta Bobcats in both 22 & 25 when I was active LEO, that I carried in my pocket and liked them both.  I still have 45, 9 & 380 but like the Tomcat INOX in 32 I have (this is 2nd as I sold the 1st one an regretted it afterword).  Accurate out to 10 yards with point an shoot and have also had hand size (4-5") at 25 yards.  To drop a hammer just tip barrel, drop hammer then push barrel back down.  I have added the extensions on the mags and opted to get Altamont Super Rosewood grip panels for it.  Even though it is a bit wider than the 21 series it is still very concealable.  Recoil is very light as well.  I find it a good option.

Charlie

Thanks Chili-----I'll be letting daughter make her choice between Beretta & the Ruger lcp-----she's a little bitty gal so size of pistol will be a big thing--it'll have to go in pocket or purse----me personaly  I always tend to go for a revolver! But it gonna be her choice---just gotta kinda push her in right direction!!

Archived