SASS Wire Forum

Is there a way to tell the poundage of a Ruger Hammer Spring? Hoping that some of you Ruger guys might know!!

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Good evening folks:

I was stupid & unorganized when I got started years ago.

I have bags of unmarked Ruger mainsprings sitting in a box & I have no idea of their poundage.

Is there a way to tell?

Geez, I hope I don't have to install & try out each one.

My buddy Catlow once said something about it, but sadly, he is gone now.

I would appreciate any knowledge you smart guys can pass my way!

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg

Years ago when working with 1911 recoil springs I built a copy of spring tester  produced by some one?    It was simply a rod with a washer on one end and a hole on the other.  Then a plate with a hole the rod would slip thru.   Anchor the plate in your vice,  Slip the  spring over the rod, insert thru the hole in hole.  use a spring scale ( like fisherman use) in the hole on the other end.  Compress spring to desired length .    Maybe a minature model could be set up for your problem.  Just compare your misc. springs against a spring of known poundage.     GW

Thanks SD.  2nd video is a very nice version of the one I made.   I just used a piece of flat iron with a hole drilled thru instead of the pipe.   GW

55 minutes ago, B.P.Gunns SASS#23578 said:

From Wolff web site.  Factory Standard..: 23 Lb. (Reference Only)

B.P.

That's only for the OMV.

Not for the NMV.

The springs at one time were different lengths between OMV & NMV.

OLG 

Hint-

There are lot to lot variations on spring making runs.

When I want 2 or more identical guns to be sprung exactly the same.

I call Wolff Gunsprings, and ask that my order be filled from the same lot run.

OLG 

Not trying to be a smart alec but what dif does it make as long as your hammer spring sets off the hardest primer that you reload with. I’ve trimmed all my springs shorter as Ruger tends to over build their stuff to make my vaqueros more duelist friendly. I run hard cci primers and have never had issues with my primers. I recently installed the nicer wide spur blackhawk hammers in everything but haven’t messed with any of the springs. If anything they should strike my primers harder as the BH hammers look to be a little heavier and therefore have more inertia. But you could build a tool to compare your springs one to another so that they feel similar gun to gun if it’s that important. I’ve only got one professionally done action job on my main match pistols and while I can feel the difference it’s never bothered me enough to send the other gun to Bowen for him to slicken up.

Archived