SASS Wire Forum

Cowboys & Indian Store

Dixie Bell

Just to let everyone know Jim Bowie is in fine health and planning on being at Winter Range. Cowboys & Indian Store is still in business. The website is still valid and the phone numbers are still good. If Jim doesn't answer he is busy working.

Might be a good idea for C&I to at least obtain and set up a phone answering system that provides information to clients and potential clients, so clients don’t just “blow off” C&I as a source for firearms, parts, and service.  But, as the Bard said many times, “A man oughtta do what he thinks is right!”

People don’t like even the appearance of an “attitude” from a business that leaves them with more questions than they started with, especially if they are “in-process” in a business dealing with that company.   If a customer feels slighted, he likely will not come back.   People also do not like the term, “misunderstanding”.....Hurt feelings translate to ill will.  That can be headed off with proper communication.  It is the responsibility of the business to ensure proper communication with their clientele and that there are no misunderstandings.  

Just a heads up.  Glad everyone one is well and staying busy.

Cat Brules

On 1/19/2020 at 9:26 PM, Cat Brules said:

Might be a good idea for C&I to at least obtain and set up a phone answering system that provides information to clients and potential clients, so clients don’t just “blow off” C&I as a source for firearms, parts, and service.  But, as the Bard said many times, “A man oughtta do what he thinks is right!”

People don’t like even the appearance of an “attitude” from a business that leaves them with more questions than they started with, especially if they are “in-process” in a business dealing with that company.   If a customer feels slighted, he likely will not come back.   People also do not like the term, “misunderstanding”.....Hurt feelings translate to ill will.  That can be headed off with proper communication.  It is the responsibility of the business to ensure proper communication with their clientele and that there are no misunderstandings.  

Just a heads up.  Glad everyone one is well and staying busy.

Cat Brules

When somebody has the knowledge and does the superb, repeatable quality of work that Jim Bowie is known for, nobody is likely to turn away, regardless of the quality of communication.   This man has people standing in line to get him to work on their guns.  If somebody gets impatient and leaves the line, it's their loss.

Just sayin.  

I've really stopped posting on the Wire...too much stoopid stuff on here.

But when I see a prolific Wire know it all posting anything about Jim Bowie, I'm motivated to speak.

There is NO ONE FINER THEN JIM BOWIE...so sorry that he's not an expert businessman like some think they may be or think he should be.

He's just a super fine Gunsmith and a SUPER FINE person.

Phantom

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But when I see a prolific Wire know it all posting anything about Jim Bowie, I'm motivated to speak.

There is NO ONE FINER THEN JIM BOWIE...so sorry that he's not an expert businessman like some think they may be or think he should be.

Phantom

My dealings with Jim consist of a single situation, in which he took all of 5 minutes to perfectly correct a long standing timing problem in my '73.  He seemed to enjoy patiently explaining the problem basis and his solution.  Very good hearted fellow with a huge storehouse of knowledge and understanding.  Our sport is very lucky to have people like him who are willing to share and serve so well. 

31 minutes ago, NoN-Stop, SASS # 17670 said:

One of the best gunsmith around and has the biggest heart for cowboy action shooters .

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Absolutely...……………………….

Does MR. BOWIE have a specialty ? Or does he work with expertise on all cowboy guns?

cap and ball? 

Hammer doubles?

and those damn guns that keep missing at least one target per match ?

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Have not logged on in months, and now I remember why. 

I see a bunch of positive comments about Mr. Bowie, one semi snarky comment about him, and two negative comments about the Wire, one  from you and one from Phantom. Hmm.

I’ll add that I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting Jim, but I’ve never heard anything but good things about him and his work.

I have third, fourth, and fifth gen C&I short strokes and all are very nice.

Deuce,

I'll read the wire but rarely respond.

Jim and TL are pioneers concerning competition guns in this game and I admire and respect both these men.  Along with Wes flowers and Lassiter, they inspired me.  Very few know the trial and error it took to bring our guns to the level of performance expected from today's shooter's. I respect these pioneers of our sport. Everyone else should too.  

Jim may have all the work he needs today without having to spend his days answering a phone. If he wants anyone's advice, he'll ask. We have spent time together alone discussing our business's. Had the same private discussions with Wes Flowers who was a dear friend. Spent time with Lassiter at his house and range when Handlebar Doc and I would shoot the Ohio match. I know these men and the trials and errors they went through to improve the guns of our game.

These four guys deserve our respect and admiration for being trail blazers. I sure as hell admire them!! The best advice I could give the wire is speak up if asked and shut up about their business if not. They have been there, done that. 

Rant over,

Long Hunter

• 2 weeks later...

Jim's the best. He's the only person who works on my guns.

It's tuff to be a one man show. 

I've never had a problem with him.

And I know that he would never get onto a public forum and try to trash someone's business. 

So I guess that makes him a better man than you. 

Jim I hope that you're around for a long long time. 

Archived