SASS Wire Forum

Just got word that there is no CAS match at Tombstone weekend before WR.  Sassy and I really like staying a few days in Tombstone and shooting at local club match on Sat and Sunday.  Heck, even made reservation at motel last year before leaving planning on same again this year.  Real bummer.  Anyone know of possible practice ranges near Tombstone or is admittance to club range possible?  

For years I went to Cowtown on Monday and Tuesday for practice but found the Tombstone match and stay to be so much fun that it became one of the highlights of the long trip.

Billy Boots,

We were looking for the same thing. Tombstone is shooting 15-16th Cowboy and the 22nd WB, at least that's what their website says. Casa Grande has a tentative match on the 22nd. I spoke with Squibber awhile back, he says most of their club is active in setting up for WR, but they will try to have a match on the 22nd. His suggestion was to keep an eye on the clubs web page. https://www.dustybunch.com/

Tully

11 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

You might contact Cowboy Doug at the Tombstone Livery for practice access.

JJ,

I will see if some of the TX shooters who are already there will check with Doug about this.  Would love to be able to practice/shoot there since planned stay is in place.

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Billy Boots,

We were looking for the same thing. Tombstone is shooting 15-16th Cowboy and the 22nd WB, at least that's what their website says. Casa Grande has a tentative match on the 22nd. I spoke with Squibber awhile back, he says most of their club is active in setting up for WR, but they will try to have a match on the 22nd. His suggestion was to keep an eye on the clubs web page. https://www.dustybunch.com/

Tully

Thanks Tully.  Hoping Doug might maybe some of the SASS shooters in town have a practice session there on Sunday.  Just a couple of stages.  Thought about Casa Grande but due to planned stay in Tombstone thru Sunday nite, that would not be very convenient.  Guess it may be back to Cowtown on Tuesday then of course the warm up on Wednesday.  Don't like to shoot to hard on Wed as Sassy is volunteer in sides and I have PM walk-thru plus I like to check vendors for a while.

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

JJ,

I will see if some of the TX shooters who are already there will check with Doug about this.  Would love to be able to practice/shoot there since planned stay is in place.

Thanks.

I love Tombstone and enjoy visiting Bisbee over the hill as well.  If you haven't been and get the chance on the way to WR from Tombstone, hit the Old Tucson Studios.  You can get in free wearing your SASS duds/gear (no loaded ammo) and it's worth going.  There's a lot of cowboy film history there. 

Here is Cowboy Doug's email address and phone number if anyone else wants to contact him.   Hopefully he can accommodate you and anyone else staying in town.

tombstonelivery@msn.com 

520-457-3559

31 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I love Tombstone and enjoy visiting Bisbee over the hill as well.  If you haven't been and get the chance on the way to WR from Tombstone, hit the Old Tucson Studios.  You can get in free wearing your SASS duds/gear (no loaded ammo) and it's worth going.  There's a lot of cowboy film history there. 

Here is Cowboy Doug's email address and phone number if anyone else wants to contact him.   Hopefully he can accommodate you and anyone else staying in town.

tombstonelivery@msn.com 

520-457-3559

Thanks Jim.

Omaha John and Complicated Lady are already there and will talk to Doug about possibility of mini match of some sort.  One or two stages and few targets could be all needed for benefit to those interested. I believe there a number staying weekend there who would be glad to have opportunity. 

On 1/19/2020 at 6:31 AM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Thanks Tully.  Hoping Doug might maybe some of the SASS shooters in town have a practice session there on Sunday.  Just a couple of stages.  Thought about Casa Grande but due to planned stay in Tombstone thru Sunday nite, that would not be very convenient.  Guess it may be back to Cowtown on Tuesday then of course the warm up on Wednesday.  Don't like to shoot to hard on Wed as Sassy is volunteer in sides and I have PM walk-thru plus I like to check vendors for a while.

We'll be in Tombstone Thursday and Friday, hopefully we'll see you there. I want to be back to Ben Avery Saturday night to prepare for Wild Bunch on Monday. If Casa Grande is shooting we'll go there Saturday.

Have a great trip!

Tully

26 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

We'll be in Tombstone Thursday and Friday, hopefully we'll see you there. I want to be back to Ben Avery Saturday night to prepare for Wild Bunch on Monday. If Casa Grande is shooting we'll go there Saturday.

Have a great trip!

Tully

I think there is going to be some sort of offering of stage or two for CAS practice on Sat.  As long as an available bay and club member present appears it can happen.  Doug is good about working with cowboys/girls as long as within rules of clubs.

Good luck Wild Bunch and CAS match Tully.  Safe travel.

36 minutes ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

Talked to Cowboy Doug this morning he said that there would be some shooting going on the 22nd.

Looking much better now. Hope to see you there Drifter.

I've got a few more details for you. OPSA will be sponsoring a 6-stage CAS match on Feb 22nd on bays 4-6 at the Tombstone Livery. We'll also be shooting Wild Bunch that day at the same time.

The 4th Saturday is normally OPSA's Wild Bunch match, but on Feb 22nd, we'll be shooting both! Bays 1-3 will be Wild Bunch, and Cowboy will on bays 4-6. For both matches, setup is at 8am, and shooting starts about 9am. We can support about 60 shooters for CAS and maybe a few less for WBAS.

See you then!

P.S. Don't forget to sign up for OPSA's annual Duel in the Desert (April 4-5, 2020)

1 hour ago, C.N. Double said:

I've got a few more details for you. OPSA will be sponsoring a 6-stage CAS match on Feb 22nd on bays 4-6 at the Tombstone Livery. We'll also be shooting Wild Bunch that day at the same time.

The 4th Saturday is normally OPSA's Wild Bunch match, but on Feb 22nd, we'll be shooting both! Bays 1-3 will be Wild Bunch, and Cowboy will on bays 4-6. For both matches, setup is at 8am, and shooting starts about 9am. We can support about 60 shooters for CAS and maybe a few less for WBAS.

See you then!

P.S. Don't forget to sign up for OPSA's annual Duel in the Desert (April 4-5, 2020)

Excellent news CN.  Thanks for post.  Makes me feel much more comfortable about taking off work early and heading west several days before WR.  Sassy and I like hanging out in Tombstone (look out Big Nose Kate's) and shooting at the Livery.   Appreciate OPSA for the accommodation on Feb 22nd..  

5 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

See you then!

We'll be there! Thanks!

Lucky buggers.:(

16 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

See you then!

Thanks for the information C.N. Double!! Not sure if we'll be there or not, but it's a great option. Heck, I wouldn't mind shooting WB, while the rest of the crew shoots cowboy :) Tully

21 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Good luck Wild Bunch and CAS match Tully.  Safe travel.

Thanks Billy Boots! To you as well! 

9 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Yes indeed 2 day Feb 15 and 16, 6 stages per day. 

Can't get there that soon as I will be working some following week but Sassy and I will look forward to OPSA"s added CAS stages on 22nd.  If something available for 23rd, I'm good for that also.

times getting closer.:D

Archived