SASS Wire Forum

Heavy Shotgun Targets Side Match

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Here's an idea for a side match.   It would require some very heavy duty falling shotgun targets that would require a charge of 00 Buckshot to knock them over.  They would also have be able to absorb such a hit without  being damaged.  This would basically be a kind of a side match that requires some much stouter than normal SASS loads to be done.  Perhaps they can be somehow made to look like buffalo or other large game.   It could be a simulated hunt or something.

12 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Safety issues?

Well, that's why I said "idea" and mentioned heavier than normal targets.   Regular shotgun targets would probably not standup properly to the heavier loads.   Also, it would have to be very carefully laid out with firing positions and target distance.   Akin to those side or special matches that substitute a "rifle rifle" for the main match one by putting the targets further out and are usually sturdier ones.

I honestly don't know if the kind of targets that would be needed to do this even exist.   Just trying to think of something different for a side match.   If it's not practical or safe, it can't be done of course, but nothing wrong with pondering it and trying to find out if it's possible.

Splash back would be a real safety factor.

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This would basically be a kind of a side match that requires some much stouter than normal SASS loads to be done.

To what point? 

Is there an issue with shooters shooting too light of shotgun loads for some tastes?

We already use knockdowns for shotgun - most are adjustable to require solid hits.  

To make an event designed to punish targets, equipment (some well aged and fragile) and shooters shoulders (some well aged and fragile) seems unpleasant and unnecessary.

2 hours ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

Why would that be any different than from a pistol target ?

1 chunk of lead hitting a solid (flat) steel plate will normally flatten or pulverize into dust,

assuming the angles are similar to those we use in Cowboy matches.

Multiple projectiles 'could' have a tendency to bounce off each other and therefore not

effectively hitting a solid flat service.

In other words, some of the lead projectiles would be ricocheting off other lead projectiles

of which the consequences might not be pleasant.

p.s. - have you ever shot a bowling pin with #7 or #8 shot from your 12 gauge at a distance

of about 10+ yards?   Well..... DON'T.   You won't like the residual results..... ;)

..........Widder

15 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

To what point? 

I'm not saying whether or not it's a good idea, BUT, sometimes it's just fun to shoot heavy, booming loads.  :D  BTW, back when I shot Police type matches everything was either buck shot or slugs.  IIRC a lot of the buckshot was at steel targets.

Why do some folks shoot heavy .44 magnum loads?  Heck, why did Elmer Keith even invent .44 magnum?  

I won't even go into the .50 caliber insanity.  :blink:

Angus

19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Well, that's why I said "idea" and mentioned heavier than normal targets.   Regular shotgun targets would probably not standup properly to the heavier loads.   Also, it would have to be very carefully laid out with firing positions and target distance.   Akin to those side or special matches that substitute a "rifle rifle" for the main match one by putting the targets further out and are usually sturdier ones.

I honestly don't know if the kind of targets that would be needed to do this even exist.   Just trying to think of something different for a side match.   If it's not practical or safe, it can't be done of course, but nothing wrong with pondering it and trying to find out if it's possible.

When he mentioned safety I don't think he was talking about the targets.  Getting hit with #8 shot off a ricochet is bad enough, now it's going to be double ought buck?  No thanks.  One of our shooters took a ricochet to the mouth yesterday, a little blood, a little swelling and that's it.  Had that been double ought buck I suspect the damage would have been a lot worse.

Having said all that, I can think of a few people who probably should participate in this side match, after I've left the immediate vicinity. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

When he mentioned safety I don't think he was talking about the targets.  Getting hit with #8 shot off a ricochet is bad enough, now it's going to be double ought buck?  No thanks.  One of our shooters took a ricochet to the mouth yesterday, a little blood, a little swelling and that's it.  Had that been double ought buck I suspect the damage would have been a lot worse.

Having said all that, I can think of a few people who probably should participate in this side match, after I've left the immediate vicinity. 

That’s exactly what I was getting at. 

Imagine, if you will:  (you pick)

a.  Getting hit with a .32 caliber richocher 00 buck slug

———- VERSUS

b.  Getting hit with a ricochet tiny little 7 1/2 size piece of grit!????

Cat Brules

It is not a wacky idea!

It is an idea for which the time has not come!!

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

1 chunk of lead hitting a solid (flat) steel plate will normally flatten or pulverize into dust,

assuming the angles are similar to those we use in Cowboy matches.

Multiple projectiles 'could' have a tendency to bounce off each other and therefore not

effectively hitting a solid flat service.

In other words, some of the lead projectiles would be ricocheting off other lead projectiles

of which the consequences might not be pleasant.

p.s. - have you ever shot a bowling pin with #7 or #8 shot from your 12 gauge at a distance

of about 10+ yards?   Well..... DON'T.   You won't like the residual results..... ;)

..........Widder

Thank you  Had in my mind a single projectile like a C&B

Archived