SASS Wire Forum

New Winchester all brass shotshells

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Well, I finally got me some of that new make Winchester all brass shotshells that are being marketed to commemorate the anniversary of Victory.

I got a case, that is to say, 25 rounds of the stuff.   Here's some pics.

1719024912_BrassPackaging.thumb.JPG.7bef6e9abd779e63998cb0e961996b70.JPG

There are five boxes of five in the case.   In the lower left of the above, you see the cardboard box that comes within the wood boxes.   I believe the cardboard box, like the ammo in side of it, is a reproduction of what was issued to the troops.   Interestingly, two cardboard boxes will fit in each wooden box.

logo.thumb.JPG.23532cb8674f4d7be55d08b9cf66fa98.JPG

Top of the wooden box.

gun.thumb.JPG.596d789a4b31f9fe8c34ff8ead5389a2.JPG

Side.

specs.thumb.JPG.7cfa10ab7d1f1dd0ab0e211e045e12ab.JPG

Other side.  Don't know if this image is historical or not.

Now, what is interesting is how the outer box that the wooden ones came it, are labeled as being being 2.75" long.   But look at this...

size.thumb.JPG.61340f3cb232ad939eb8229ba4ef4adb.JPG

As you can see, the new Winchester brass is slightly shorter than the Magtech 2.5" shells.   Compare also the crimp...

crimp.thumb.JPG.b21559e7389b4a6d57ea0add8067f120.JPG

The one on the left is a Magtech I loaded myself, the one on the right is the Winchester.   As you can see they put much more of a rolled over crimp on it, but I don't think that's enough to account for the shorter overall length.   It remains a curiosity.

Now all I have to do is decide what to do with this stuff.   You can't use 00 Buck at a SASS match.   I could load 5 of them into my reproduction trench gun for home defense, pull out the 00 and refill 'em with 7.5 shot so I can use them at a match, go hunting with them, or just leave 'em be.   The later is not an option, and I'm not much of a hunter, so time will tell what happens to them.  Still, I do look forward to reloading these.  

Well, there is that cool factor to consider.

Cat Brules

51 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

pull out the 00 and refill 'em with 7.5 shot so I can use them at a match

That may be a little stiff powder load. JMO

I saw then advertised on Winchester's Website, so I went to my local gun store and asked if they could order me  case.   Took about a week for them to get here.   They use large pistol primers.  The outer case says they are 2.75 dram EQ, which is what the target loads I buy, when I don't reload me own, are listed as, but yeah, I have wondered if they would be to "stout" even with changing to smaller shot.

Oh, I forgot to post this pic of the headstamp and overshot card labelhead.thumb.JPG.29ad2992b56c4c0c0f5304698f2ed560.JPG

I find it funny how it's all scratched up.  I don't have any GI stuff, but I do have a handful of older Remington and Winchester brass, and none of them are scuffed up like this.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The outer case says they are 2.75 dram EQ, which is what the target loads I buy, when I don't reload me own, are listed as, but yeah, I have wondered if they would be to "stout" even with changing to smaller shot.

Sounds pretty tame. I looked at a pack of Royal Buck & they don"t give a Dram loading but the velocity is listed at 1345 fps. Please let us know the results when you fire one/them.

10 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Sounds pretty tame. I looked at a pack of Royal Buck & they don"t give a Dram loading but the velocity is listed at 1345 fps. Please let us know the results when you fire one/them.

Been told I don't give a Dram either.

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Been told I don't give a Dram either.

Don't you have some snow to plow ??     :lol:

13 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Don't you have some snow to plow ??     :lol:

No snow, just hard piles of solid ice. Supposed to have a fairly mild week and might be rid of drifts this coming week. Dram snow and ice!

16 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

So.. .  Where I've found them it looks like $20-26 a box if 5 shells?  Too rich for me. 

Yeah expensive, but still less than half the cost of my 10 gauge brass

My ten gauge 3-1/2" brass had an expensive initial cost but over the decades, it has amortized to max nix.

I never crimp it and use 8 gauge overshot wads and Duco Cement.

They are expensive.   Just under 25 bucks for a box of 5.   Yes, that is rather pricey, but I really wanted to have the fancy packaging, and a supply of the brass with that WWII era headstamp.  

When I get around to reloading these, I'll probably not put the slight taper crimp that I put on the Magtechs and just use cement to make them last longer.    I would not buy a LARGE supply of them, to expensive, but there's nothing wrong with the occasional expensive treat for the novelty of it all.  

I like, I hope that's so...

On 1/19/2020 at 8:43 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

They are expensive.   Just under 25 bucks for a box of 5.   Yes, that is rather pricey, but I really wanted to have the fancy packaging, and a supply of the brass with that WWII era headstamp.  

When I get around to reloading these, I'll probably not put the slight taper crimp that I put on the Magtechs and just use cement to make them last longer.    I would not buy a LARGE supply of them, to expensive, but there's nothing wrong with the occasional expensive treat for the novelty of it all.  

I like, I hope that's so...

Sorry for the hijack (and for not stopping by for so long), but how did you crimp your Magtechs?  I have 2 boxes I want to load, but want a slight roll crimp on em.  The only thing I've found so far is the - RCBS Cowboy Shotshell Die 12GA-Brass Case - on Amazon and Brownell's n such.

2 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

Sorry for the hijack (and for not stopping by for so long), but how did you crimp your Magtechs?  I have 2 boxes I want to load, but want a slight roll crimp on em.  The only thing I've found so far is the - RCBS Cowboy Shotshell Die 12GA-Brass Case - on Amazon and Brownell's n such.

The RCBS thing will give you that slight crimp like I have.   I used to use it.   But, it does not really resize the brass.   This was never a problem for me, until one day I fired them in my vintage 87.   After that, they would not fit in any gun except that 87, so I got these. from CH4D...

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-supplies-accessories/reloading-dies/shotgun-reloading-dies

As you can see they are a lot more expensive than the RCBS.   If you only have 1 shotgun that you use the brass in, the RCBS should be okay for you.   I ave both the 12 and 20 CH4D ones, and while they are expensive, they work really, really well.    They do require you to lube the brass.  With either set of dies, you can adjust how much of a crimp they get.

No apologies needed, this is a great place to ask such questions.

Good luck!

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 2:49 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I saw then advertised on Winchester's Website, so I went to my local gun store and asked if they could order me  case.   Took about a week for them to get here.   They use large pistol primers.  The outer case says they are 2.75 dram EQ, which is what the target loads I buy, when I don't reload me own, are listed as, but yeah, I have wondered if they would be to "stout" even with changing to smaller shot.

Oh, I forgot to post this pic of the headstamp and overshot card labelhead.thumb.JPG.29ad2992b56c4c0c0f5304698f2ed560.JPG

I find it funny how it's all scratched up.  I don't have any GI stuff, but I do have a handful of older Remington and Winchester brass, and none of them are scuffed up like this.

Antiqued

6 hours ago, Hardcase Hardin said:

Thanks pardner!  Yeah juuuuust a tad more moola for those.  :D

Only plan to run brass shells in the coach gun so I'm thinking the RCBS set should do me fine.

Do a test run with 2 shells. After firing, see if they will drop into the opposite barrel. 

Archived