SASS Wire Forum

AF Cadence

Subdeacon Joe

15 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I am sure I overreacted to this video. My experience with the military and the razor sharp  coordination I am used to seeing just wasn’t there. I saw that they were out of step out of line and marching to a slurred cadence.  It just didn’t make the standard. And their so-called drill sergeants didn’t  seem to care one bit. I would have never allowed that to be filmed.  I probably should’ve ignored the entire topic. Once again, none of that, or any harm was intended to be directed toward our SASS members here.  ....Regards,  Cat Brules

Your reaction was your reaction. Those happen at an emotional level. I don't think any of us here took offense. I know I certainly didn't. I simply try to offer different perspectives that may help out. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The second cadence was about parachuting from a C130.  At first I was guessing it was because I'm sure air force does parachute training.  But they specifically said they were jumping into a combat zone.  So, I dunno if the air force does that.  At least not on purpose. 

I don't know if they have any female combat support airmen (the ones who are in with the ground troops...Army and/or Marines...but I would suspect that if the Army is jumping out of the C-130, so are their Air Force troops.  Oh, and as far as those awarded a DSC, there are a couple whose award is being pushed for upgrade to MOH, by those whose lives they saved!  Oh, hell!  In those situations, it doesn't matter which way the points on your stripes point...up or down! God Bless them all! :FlagAm:

They are serving.   Period.   

The only things that really caught my notice were that the DI is a good looking lady and the line in the chant about "airmen falling from the sky."  Correct me if I'm wrong,  but shouldn't the only airmen who fall from the sky be the Pararescue?

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The only things that really caught my notice were that the DI is a good looking lady and the line in the chant about "airmen falling from the sky."  Correct me if I'm wrong,  but shouldn't the only airmen who fall from the sky be the Pararescue?

Combat Controllers will as well. At least, among those who fall intentionally.

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Or the combat support troops, if they jump in with the Army and/or Marines.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

We can agree to disagree.

I didn't watch the entire video, only a few minutes of it. I missed the Air Assault part, which I do find a bit more than annoying. Since it is a Training Squadron, and I don't see any training ribbons, I'm inclined to give a little slack, since I don't know where they are in their training cycle. As Trailrider pointed out, they could be training to be far more than "file clerks."

A thought to consider though. At any given time, less than 1% of our population is serving in the military. Less than 10% of us are veterans. So, with their mediocrity and stupidity, they are still attempting something 90% of our population doesn't achieve.

That is very true.  They all signed up not truly knowing what to expect, but went ahead anyway and took what was handed them in the course of their tours.

The other 90% may have had some legitimate reasons,.....physical, mental, and emotional, religious,  or other valid reasons,.....for not being in uniform, but that still leaves maybe 60% or more who just didn't go.

That remaining percentage really get me fired up if they put down out flag, uniforms, and men and women who did serve or are still serving.  The vast majority of that percentage DO NOT disparage our services and still have my respect.  The very minor number that don't, get no respect from me at all.  That includes so many politicians, actors, sports "heroes", news slugs, and leftist drones who manage to get their voices heard while trying to block everyone else from having their voices heard. 

With that I'll step off my soap box.....for now.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:45 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Three?  Everybody forgets the Coast Guard.

It would be easier to remember them if they were part of the Department of Defense.

I do, and always will, respect the Coasties.  They play in a rugged league of their own and do what others can not or will not do.

17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well, If your plane get shot down too.  Thats why I added "not on purpose" to that other post.  But I wonder if there's some angle where a pilot considers his aircraft to always be falling from the sky and only kept aloft by the engines.  It's kind of a dark view of flying, but it seems on par for the military propensity of preparing for the worst. 

20 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Anyone got a video of it being done right? 

I just spent 20 minutes looking. Either the video quality was, shall we say, less than optimal, or they were in route step. Or it was their first or second day.

Weird.

3 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Once they get it right there is nothing like marching to a jody to bring up morale, esprit de corps, teamwork, pride and discipline. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Anyone got a video of it being done right? 

Video cams didn’t exist back when I called the Jodies, but it was truly a damn fine experience to be lockin’ and poppin’ with a squared away platoon. 

'Lizbeth was once one of those "file clerks" who marched and sang.

Her mom and stepdad were good friends of mine.  When she was a little kid, I used to call her "Punky," 'cuz she was the image of Punky Brewster.  She'd look up at me, thrust out her lower lip and scowl and snarl "My name's not 'Punky!'  It's 'Liz'beth!'"  Then she'd smile and scamper off to feed the family's pet rescue burro, or tend to the 'possum joeys she'd saved when their mamma was run over.  No doubt a tomboy - but cute as a button; full of energy, a mite headstrong, and ambitious.  

After high school, she enlisted.  There was a war on, and she felt a strong sense of duty. 

So she became one of those "file clerks" who marched and sang.

Rest in peace, "Punky."

Airman First Class Elizabeth Jacobson

2111781277_ElizabethPunkyJacobson.jpg.3fa7fe2483690f88ab9917db4075bd90.jpg                  241616513_ElizabethPunkyJacobson2.jpg.f3beb0ed58768dcae96d3e70c52a4173.jpg

The "C" in gunnery sergeant stands for compassion.  :wub:

On 1/21/2020 at 5:57 PM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

The "C" in gunnery sergeant stands for compassion.  :wub:

There ain't no "c" in Gunnery Sergeant, but I saw compassion once when a kid's dog got run over  almost at our front gate and a Gunny named Paul Sanchez stopped and took the kid and the dog to a vet and paid for the services.  About a month later the kid and his mom showed up and showed him the pup was alright...and they'd renamed him Gunny Paul.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:26 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Video cams didn’t exist back when I called the Jodies, but it was truly a damn fine experience to be lockin’ and poppin’ with a squared away platoon. 

I recall PLDC (Primary Leadership Development Course) and getting called out to call cadence. Of course this was a "coed" group, and it was when politically correct cadences were becoming more and more the norm. Now, even though I served in a med lab that had both male and female soldiers at that point, one of our more senior NCOs was a Special Forces medic, and called mostly risqué cadences. No, the women in our unit didn't seem to mind. So, of course I drew a blank except for the raunchier ones. The experience went something like this:

Cadre: SGT Ward, call cadence!

Me: (pause, trying to think of something...) Left, Right, Left Right... My girl's a veg...

Cadre: NOOO

Me: Napalm sticks to...

Cadre: NOOOOO!!!

Me: (pause) Left, Right, Left, Right... "In fourteen hundred and ninety two...

Cadre: NOOOOOOOO... Jesus Christ... SGT Smith call cadence... SGT Ward back in ranks, see me later...

He didn't counsel me, just gave me a book of cadences and told me to memorize three.

16 hours ago, DocWard said:

I recall PLDC (Primary Leadership Development Course) and getting called out to call cadence. Of course this was a "coed" group, and it was when politically correct cadences were becoming more and more the norm. Now, even though I served in a med lab that had both male and female soldiers at that point, one of our more senior NCOs was a Special Forces medic, and called mostly risqué cadences. No, the women in our unit didn't seem to mind. So, of course I drew a blank except for the raunchier ones. The experience went something like this:

Cadre: SGT Ward, call cadence!

Me: (pause, trying to think of something...) Left, Right, Left Right... My girl's a veg...

Cadre: NOOO

Me: Napalm sticks to...

Cadre: NOOOOO!!!

Me: (pause) Left, Right, Left, Right... "In fourteen hundred and ninety two...

Cadre: NOOOOOOOO... Jesus Christ... SGT Smith call cadence... SGT Ward back in ranks, see me later...

He didn't counsel me, just gave me a book of cadences and told me to memorize three.

I had to look those up and I'm a better person today because of it.  The vegetable one didn't seem bad.  There was a story about a marine being offended by it though because his wife really was in a coma with no arms or legs.  I read the entire article and it made me laugh but I'm still not sure if it was a joke. 

The columbo cadence looked downright tame.  Then I looked for other versions.  About halfway down the page I found one that was probably your version. 

Archived