SASS Wire Forum

AF Cadence

Subdeacon Joe

Gee, the Air Force is almost a military organization!!!  :D

2 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Gee, the Air Force is almost a military organization!!!  :D

So many comments come to mind. I'll just say you can learn all you need to know about the military organizations by how they respond to a command. Take, for example, the command to "Secure that building."

The Marines will assault the building, immediately killing anyone who doesn't surrender.

The Army will put up concertina around the building, put in fighting positions and prepare range cards for each position

The Navy will turn out the lights and make sure all the doors are locked.

The Air Force will take out a five year lease with an option to buy.

4 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Ya'll are kind of jerks for bashing the Air Force. Except for recess and nap time, it's almost like any other branch of the military.

Now, now. There are only two branches of the military, the Army and Navy. The Air Force is a corporation, and the Marines are a cult! :P

But let someone who hasn't served say that, and we'll have problems! LOL

23 minutes ago, DocWard said:

So many comments come to mind. I'll just say you can learn all you need to know about the military organizations by how they respond to a command. Take, for example, the command to "Secure that building."

The Marines will assault the building, immediately killing anyone who doesn't surrender.

There is a story from the Rodney King Riots of the early '90s.  LAPD or Sheriff asked for help from Camp Pendleton because the LEOs were overwhelmed.  Supposedly LEOs who needed to go up to a building asked the USMC squad that was with them as support to cover them.  Again supposedly the Marines laid down a withering example of suppressive fire on that building.  

48 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Ya'll are kind of jerks for bashing the Air Force. Except for recess and nap time, it's almost like any other branch of the military.

Well,yeah, and the other three have adult supervision, too.

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Three?  Everybody forgets the Coast Guard.

It isn't that we forget about them, it just makes the jokes awkward. Sort of like in a gathering of military types and someone pipes up they were in the Coast Guard...

That sloppy gang of geese are an embarrassment to every branch of the Services.   File clerks in training, being herded along to a potty break.

Cat Brules

Geez, don't forget the NOAA Officer Corps (No enlisted) and the Surgeon Generals Corps (also no enlisted).  :wub:

Decades ago, the Marines were put on the border to control illegal crossings. After "HALT HALT", they fired. Jimmy Carter took them off because too many crossers go killed!!  :D

Coast Guard; If you knew what it was like to earn your Boson Badge on the Columbia River Bar or find yourself in the arctic with a 50 foot short duration sea running.  In hurricane force winds and almost no visibility with ice building on the superstructure 100 miles from a safe port and a rescue to accomplish.  Its a wonder some of them can walk with those brass balls. 

32 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

Coast Guard; If you knew what it was like to earn your Boson Badge on the Columbia River Bar or find yourself in the arctic with a 50 foot short duration sea running.  In hurricane force winds and almost no visibility with ice building on the superstructure 100 miles from a safe port and a rescue to accomplish.  Its a wonder some of them can walk with those brass balls. 

"You have to go out.  You don't have to come back."

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/12/coast-guard-training-in-massive-surf-captured-in-stunning-photos?utm_source=outbrain_ftw&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail&obOrigUrl=true

Image result for coast guard heavy weather training

https://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2009/09/surf-training-at-station-bodega-bay/

Related image

8 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Don't forget the drug interdiction, especially chasing down the narco subs these days. They have my respect, without a doubt, despite the jokes. Just like the others.

On 1/19/2020 at 12:04 AM, Cat Brules said:

That sloppy gang of geese are an embarrassment to every branch of the Services.   File clerks in training, being herded along to a potty break.

Cat Brules

I'm hoping that is intended as a joke, and I'm missing the humor. 

Jokes about the Air Force and Coast Guard are only funny when told by somebody who’s served in one of the other three branches.  

Let anyone else try to pick on my brothers/sisters and it’s game on. Families are like that.

And we all know there are really only two branches in the military:  Army and Army Support. 

Marines and OTHERS!!!    :wub:

Semper Fidelis!!!   :)

Like a good Marine, my coruscation is on the mark.  :rolleyes:

You can joke about the Air Force...until the grunts are under heavy fire, and the AF tactical support troop laying there in the dirt with them gets on his radio and calls for a flight of A-10's or "fast-mover" F-16's or even a Bone (B-1), danger close!  Been a few of those troops who have been awarded DSC's, some who are even still alive!

Of course there are others who "simply" ride around Montana, Wyoming or North Dakota in blue trucks keeping the green lights on the launch panels, so the "capsule drivers" can turn their keys, if...God forbid...they ever get the order to launch!  And those "truck drivers" have to drive around regardless of the weather, +100 or -60 with the wind with the snow blowing drifts across the roads!  Try that for awhile, when people you went to school with are dodging SAM's or ensconced in the Hanoi Hilton for six or seven years!

You can joke about the Coasties...until your boat with you and you wife and kids have been driven stern first onto a beach by heavy seas on the Lake Michigan shore, and they come to pull you off in a boat that's not much bigger! (Seen that awhile back!)  Or trying to rescue crewmen aboard a foundering Lake Superior ore boat aground on the rocks!

Some folks have already started in on the Space Force, just because the first uniforms are simply the AF's cammies, with the new name patch. 

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm hoping that is intended as a joke, and I'm missing the humor. 

Doc,

I did not mean my comments to be humorous.

I DO regret your being offended by my comments.  As you certainly must realize, there was no personal affront intended toward you anyone here, but I AM OFFENDED by that public display of mediocrity and tribute to stupidity on several levels.  

Just let it go; it’s not worth a go-around.

Cat Bules

Wish my wife was here. She was in Army Basic back in 64. They did the same stuff as the guys back then. I can't say the same for our modern military. Wife and I visited on a tour at Ft. Leonard Wood. We both left shaking our head and couldn't believe what we saw. It was a mess and disgusting. Other than that, I couldn't figure out why they were not in unison with the arm swing. Just didn't look right for me.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That DI is doing it for me.  I think it's the hat.

I've never heard such a complex cadence.  Are they all like that? 

Lots are, but as an Army soldier, I'm miffed that these file clerks in training are singing about being Air Assault.  That is an Army designation, and I think these idiots assume it's Air Force because it has the word "air."  

20 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Lots are, but as an Army soldier, I'm miffed that these file clerks in training are singing about being Air Assault.  That is an Army designation, and I think these idiots assume it's Air Force because it has the word "air."  

I didn't quite catch that part about "Air Assault", but I'd bet some of those "file clerks" will wind up maintaining the birds that give the grunts that close air support and transport where Army Aviation can't (per the Key West Agreement of 1947 or so).  And, with the new enlisted drone operators, some may even wind up "flying" armed drones.  Just sayin'...

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Doc,

I did not mean my comments to be humorous.

I DO regret your being offended by my comments.  As you certainly must realize, there was no personal affront intended toward you anyone here, but I AM OFFENDED by that public display of mediocrity and tribute to stupidity on several levels.  

Just let it go; it’s not worth a go-around.

Cat Bules

We can agree to disagree.

I didn't watch the entire video, only a few minutes of it. I missed the Air Assault part, which I do find a bit more than annoying. Since it is a Training Squadron, and I don't see any training ribbons, I'm inclined to give a little slack, since I don't know where they are in their training cycle. As Trailrider pointed out, they could be training to be far more than "file clerks."

A thought to consider though. At any given time, less than 1% of our population is serving in the military. Less than 10% of us are veterans. So, with their mediocrity and stupidity, they are still attempting something 90% of our population doesn't achieve.

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Other than that, I couldn't figure out why they were not in unison with the arm swing. Just didn't look right for me.

It bothered me too and I was never in the military.  But I looked closely and I think what was going on was that they were carrying their bags in different hands.  The ones with the right hand free were swinging their right arms in unison witht he DI's right hand, and the ones with left hands free were swinging their arms in unison with the DI's left hand.  So they were probably doing what they were supposed to do. 

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I didn't quite catch that part about "Air Assault",

Yeah, they said "I'm an air assault trooper, sliding down the road."  Then the next one was "I'm an air force airman, just a fallin from the sky."  Which sounds like same thing.  Unless they were implying they were falling because they'd ejected?  I liked the first one.  "I'm a steamroller baby, rollin down the line." 

The second cadence was about parachuting from a C130.  At first I was guessing it was because I'm sure air force does parachute training.  But they specifically said they were jumping into a combat zone.  So, I dunno if the air force does that.  At least not on purpose. 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Did anyone else notice they were marching out of time?  As the DI says "Left" their right foot hits the ground.  :wacko:  I wonder if they did it on purpose to see if anyone noticed.  Actually, at about :34, the guy in front of John Candy can be seen on the correct count.

Angus

Orders were why I was pushed out of perfectly good airplanes. I was always tempted to wear my wings upside down to represent my "Push" wings. :huh:

Night jumps are still recalled in the middle of the night on occasion!!! :(

SCUBA was fun but if I ever had acrophobia I sure have it now.   :angry:

23 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Did anyone else notice they were marching out of time?  As the DI says "Left" their right foot hits the ground.  :wacko:  I wonder if they did it on purpose to see if anyone noticed.  Actually, at about :34, the guy in front of John Candy can be seen on the correct count.

Angus

Seeing as how they had only been in the Army long enough to get haircuts and duds, that’s to be expected. Also the sound track is a bit off in that video.

49 minutes ago, DocWard said:

We can agree to disagree.

I didn't watch the entire video, only a few minutes of it. I missed the Air Assault part, which I do find a bit more than annoying. Since it is a Training Squadron, and I don't see any training ribbons, I'm inclined to give a little slack, since I don't know where they are in their training cycle. As Trailrider pointed out, they could be training to be far more than "file clerks."

A thought to consider though. At any given time, less than 1% of our population is serving in the military. Less than 10% of us are veterans. So, with their mediocrity and stupidity, they are still attempting something 90% of our population doesn't achieve.

I am sure I overreacted to this video. My experience with the military and the razor sharp  coordination I am used to seeing just wasn’t there. I saw that they were out of step out of line and marching to a slurred cadence.  It just didn’t make the standard. And their so-called drill sergeants didn’t  seem to care one bit. I would have never allowed that to be filmed.  I probably should’ve ignored the entire topic. Once again, none of that, or any harm was intended to be directed toward our SASS members here.  ....Regards,  Cat Brules

Archived