SASS Wire Forum

Gun Safe locks question

Matthew Duncan

13 hours ago, Trailboss (Santa) Dave said:

I have had both for over 25 years

Never had a real problem with either, but the Dial seems to take 2-3 tries to open

my next 1 (and I'm looking) will be E-lock

Resent the combo.

Bet the lines on the dial were not aligned well when the lock combo was being set. 

Very common issue. 

OLG 

On 1/18/2020 at 9:18 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Resent the combo.

Bet the lines on the dial were not aligned well when the lock combo was being set. 

Very common issue. 

OLG 

The combo on my safe has drifted a couple of numbers.  Somehow I got confused somewhere along the way and mis-remembered the last number.  I'd been using the "new" number for quite a while when I found where I'd written it down one day.  I thought "That aint the combo I use" and sure enough that combination did not work.  I vaguely remember a period where I couldn't hit the last number exactly, I had to stop just shy of it and I wondered why.  Now I know, it's because I had the wrong number. 

I see it as the safe knowing I'm old and cutting me a break.  Like one day it must have just given up and said "FINE OLD MAN IF THATS THE COMBO YOU WANNA USE THATS THE NEW COMBO"  That reminds me, I need up update the combination I left with my brother in law.  If something happens to me he won't be able to get in. 

Oh and it's a superior safe with a sargent and greenleaf lock.  So it should be a good one.  I did the same thing to a master lock in high school.  Maybe I'm just a lock whisperer. 

Where you stand when dialing the combo on a Comercial grade dial lock makes a huge difference. If you have to stand to the side and not directly in front of the door the dial will be off enough that the lock will give you dificulty.

When having the combination set enter the numbers standing in the same relationship to the door as you would when it is closed. Also you should be dialing the numbers and not your locksmith to verify the combination.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 safes, both Combo locks.  one safe I can spin the dial, get pretty close to the #, open the lock first time, nearly every time.  the other safe I have to carefully turn the dial, line it up exactly, being very carefull not to acidentlay "nudge the dial the wrong way as I grip it.  Usually takes me 2-3 tries to get into it.  But thta being sais, I just trust the S&G dial locks more than the electronic pads. 

My idiot former son in law had a safe roon, with a huge safe door to get in (looked like a bank vault door) .  Had a combo pad.  it broke a couple of years, had a heck of a time getting it open.  

I did an escape room one time and at the end it had a safe you had to open.  We figured out the combo, but somehow if you didn't spin the dial fast enough, it wouldn't open.  It felt like a real combination lock, not some electronic facsimile.  We were going slow, naturally to make sure we hit the correct numbers.  The employee eventually told us that the dial was just 'messed up' and you had to do it fast.  I can't figure out how a combination lock can get messed up like that. 

I have a lock that is both electronic and manual on my safe. If the electronics fail you just flip the top of the dial up and it exposes the numbers to dial your combo. It is also good when we suffer an EMP attack or severe sunspot activity:lol:

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I can't figure out how a combination lock can get messed up like that. 

Dirty or worn, and the dial speed is needed to get tumblers to set.

I have a small safe that came with an electronic lock.  It’s an American Security .  The lock failed even with a new battery.  The safe dealer sent out a locksmith who tried several things including. Replacing the keypad assembly and couldn’t open it.  Cost me a few $$$ to have him drill it to get it open. I replaced the lock with a S&G mechanical.  He told me they never fail. 

Archived