SASS Wire Forum

NRA “Life” Member...again

Pat Riot

I just paid for an NRA Life membership...again. 

Let me explain:

In 1982 I joined the NRA as an “annual member”. I maintained an annual membership until 1992 when I upgraded to a Life Membership on the NRA’s installment plan. One day a year or so later when it was fully paid I received my permanent Life membership card. Hooray!:D

I never thought much more about it and continued to send money to the ILA and the PVF as well as the NRA. 
Then one day at the start of 2010 I got a letter telling me that the latest American Rifleman magazine I received would be my last and that I needed to renew my membership. 
I thought “That’s odd. I will have to call them.” And chucked the letter in a moving box as I was in the process of moving from North Carolina to Sacramento, CA.

At some point in 2011 some scumbag broke into my truck and stole some things. One of the things they got was an old wallet of mine that had my NRA life member card in it. That wallet had all my membership cards in it so I didn’t have to carry them in my regular wallet. 
Anyway, I ended up moving again in 2013 to Oregon and found that letter from the NRA and decided to finally call them to get to the bottom of this membership issue. 
They claimed I was never a life member but if I had a valid card stating that I was they would honor it. Grrrrr

The nice lady I spoke with at NRA corporate  told me that unfortunately I apparently got lost in their system and they had changed computer systems twice since the 1990’s. 
So, I begrudgingly became an annual member again...

Well, today I became an NRA Life Member again. Cool! :FlagAm:

Congratulations Pard .

I too have a Life membership.

I have also bought everyone of my Grandsons a Life Membership to the NRA and a Annual membership to GOA . 

I bought all my Grandsons a Youth Model Henry Lever Action rifle for the day they was born .

Now I'm buying all my Grandsons a Ruger Wrangler too .

My thoughts are if we raise them around guns and  I shoot guns with them .

They will help to keep our 2nd amendment rights safe and secure in the future ! 

I had that trouble with the Idaho R & P Association. Luckily, I found my 70 year old card!

Two sons, two granddaughters and two grandsons in the NRA, SASS and their state associations.

I bought Ruger semi auto .44 carbines, Chipmunks, Henry Golden Boys and Crickets; .410, 28 and 20 gauge shotguns, plus Ruger revolvers among other things for them. I gave 1911s, heavy caliber revolvers, a ten gauge automatic and tons more to my sons. When I pass away, they get lots more!!!!!  :P

3 hours ago, Cumberland Mtn John SASS#40593 said:

Just today got a flier from the NRA about acquiring a Life Membership when I already Have a Life Membership.  What's up with the NRA?

CMJ

Early in the year they usually have big discounts on the upgraded life memberships.

I came up from Life Member and now am a Benefactor Member.  My dad and I were son and father Endowment Members  (I got mine first).

Please bear with me if you've seen these stories in other forums.  I have no children, but I bought a Life Membership for my honorary nephew (I'm a friend of the family and addressed as "Uncle") for his bar mitzvah.  He is now one of the premier firearms law attorneys in PA.  I couldn't be prouder of him if he was my own blood.

I always enjoy telling this story about my late father.  He became a Life Member of the NRA back in the 1950s, when a Life Membership was $50 or $100.  Fast forward to when the NRA acquired the headquarters building in Fairfax, VA, and was asking for contributions specifically for paying off the mortgage on the building.  Pop sent in some money in response.  He said to me, "I sent in a contribution because I felt guilty for living so long."  Pop lived for another 20 years after that.

17 hours ago, Cumberland Mtn John SASS#40593 said:

Just today got a flier from the NRA about acquiring a Life Membership when I already Have a Life Membership.  What's up with the NRA?

CMJ

Not like a computer could ever have a glitch??

Patron Life Member here, never regret the investment.

Archived