SASS Wire Forum

Confederate guns

El Hombre Sin Nombre

Awhile back, I picked up a pair of Griswold and Gunnison revolvers off the classifieds here. I just grabbed up a Leech and Rigdon as well. So now I have this idea to start collecting confederate guns because, well why the hell not? Anyway, what else do I need to get this collection going? Spiller and Burr come to mind as well as the LeMat. Any others I need to add to that list?

I guess the question is are you referring to replicas or originals?  Originals are going to be quite hard to find, especially the Spiller & Burr, which were manufactured in very limited quantities.  As far as other Confederate guns, Dance & Brother (similar to a Walker or Dragoon Colt's, but without the recoil shield), and the Confederate copy of the percussion-fired Sharps would come to mind.  I don't know of any replicas of either.  Years ago, there was an NRA publication of the guns of the Civil War, which, IIRC, showed guns from both sides.  Good luck!

Several years ago I wanted to do the same thing but could never locate any of the replica models you mention.

When you get your collection put together post some pictures if you would not mind. A collection of Confederate cap and ball guns is a pretty neat historical idea.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Several years ago I wanted to do the same thing but could never locate any of the replica models you mention.

When you get your collection put together post some pictures if you would not mind. A collection of Confederate cap and ball guns is a pretty neat historical idea.

Will do. I get the Leech Rigdon Tuesday and am already starting the hunt for some of the others. I know where I can get a LeMat, but those things are crazy heavy and pretty expensive even used. I think I'll save that one for last.

2 hours ago, Go West said:

Be sure to add US arms since captured guns were included in their armory.

John Singleton Mosby, The Gray Ghost of the Confederacy, often armed his Virginia cavalry with Spencer's.  He had no trouble supplying his men with ammunition...they simply took it off of Union baggage trains! :o:rolleyes:  In addition, a lot of Union manufacturers' arms had made their way South before and during the War.  The Colt's M1851 Navy and M1860 Army were especially plentiful, and, of course, there were tons of Union equipment picked up on the battlefield or from captured prisoners.

4 hours ago, Go West said:

Be sure to add US arms since captured guns were included in their armory.

See I’m going the other way here. All mine are collected from dead Johnny Reb’s

26 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

That collection has to have 1853 Enfield to be complete.

only pistols right now because I can use them easily in SASS

The Dance Brothers replicas are of the .36 size gun- picture a Colt '51 Navy without the recoil shields- but are chambered in .44.  The real Dance .44's were rough copies of the 3rd Model Dragoon.  There's a pic of Geronimo carrying one but it was after his capture and was probably a photographer's prop.

For far more info than you ever wanted to know, try, Firearms of the Confederacy, by Claud E. Fuller and Richard D. Steuart.  It is ftom 1944 with an NRA republishing in 1996.  Instant insomnia cure, but useful.

Archived