SASS Wire Forum

Are Coated Bullets Allowed?

Marshal Flint

Yep

REVOLVER AND RIFLE AMMUNITION -

Moly-Disulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable.

SHB Vers 24.1 pg 27

That (92-6-2) is a hard alloy, comes in at about 16 Brinnell hardness.  The poly coating will help make the bullet fit the grooves of the barrel well enough, that you should not get the normal problems with gas-cutting leading that an uncoated hard lead bullet will cause with our very low (target load) type velocities.   That 92-6-2 alloy was developed to be about the lowest cost alloy that would handle magnum pistol velocities (1400 FPS) and lower rifle velocities (up to about 1600 FPS), so it's rather a bit of overkill for cowboy shooting.   Casters use it because it is "pretty close" for a wide range of pistol applications, and it sure ships well, even when bullets are dump-packed in a box.

Good luck, GJ 

There are lots of suppliers for .45's.  If you go to a big match there'll be vendors who are also SASS shooters.  Try Bullets by Scarlett she'll have everything you'll need and then some.  Keep your powder dry and have fun.

1 hour ago, Marshal Flint said:

I am looking at Acme Coated Bullets

The 45 Colt 200 RNFP coated bullet is hard cast with 92-6-2 certified alloy and is then coated with HI-Tek Coating and heat cured.  The coating and heat curing process is done 3 times to ensure consistency. 

These are the exact bullets I've been shooting exclusively since last fall. They're great... you can't go wrong with these. B) I load them over 5.5 grains of Trail Boss.

You can get the same bullets from Bullets by Scarlett, and help out a fellow cowgirl at the same time.

Just so they ain't "coated" with another metal, like copper!!

MG

I switched over to Hi-tec coated bullets last year for everything I reload for.   Cowboy 44 mags, 45/70 Sharps, and 45 ACP.  I use ACME bullets, but there are several other companies that make them.  The thing I like most about them is you don't have all the lube to clean off of your reloading dies, after a reload session.  They are supposed to give a few more FPS and your ammo, and cut down on leading.  I don't really care about getting a few more FPS from my loads, and leading has never been a problem.  Try them...you will not be sorry.   They do have a different smell when shot.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:18 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Don't know how hard that is compared to most "Cowboy" bullets but "hard cast" is not really needed for the steel ringin' we do.

Hi-Tek coating is great though; many use it.

I have a Uberti '73 that just doesn't like coated bullets.  Sometimes they stick while Chambering and at other times, they fail to withdraw under extractor tension, causing jambs.  The same gun handles uncoated lead just fine. 

So before buying a huge bunch,  I'd seriously recommend making a small order, or borrowing from a friend and working some through YOUR guns, to be sure.  

18 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I have a Uberti '73 that just doesn't like coated bullets.  Sometimes they stick while Chambering and at other times, they fail to withdraw under extractor tension, causing jambs.  The same gun handles uncoated lead just fine. 

So before buying a huge bunch,  I'd seriously recommend making a small order, or borrowing from a friend and working some through YOUR guns, to be sure.  

It’s not the bullet, it’s the gun

20 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Where are you getting these bullets and what caliber?

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

There are powder coated bullets out there that are different then then the hi tek coating.

I know several people that powder coat their own bullets with supplies bought from Harbor Freight and none of them have any issues. The caveat is that you have to do the job properly. If you don't then the entire process is a waste of time.

11 hours ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Dusty Devil Dale        That seems like a strange problem while using Hi-tec coated bullets.  Are you using some home made hi-tec bullets?  The ones I use you can't even scratch the coating off with your finger nail......just seems odd.

This particular gun is a Uberti-Baretta 1873 replica.  It is unusually  tight in the chamber, which makes it sensitive to poly coatings, as well as bullet crimp.  The slightest burr left on a round, or banana bend stops bullets from chambering smoothly, which slows things down, and sometimes they even jamb solidly, requiring a squib rod.  

I've tried coated bullets from several prominent commercial sources (prefer not to name them here).  It isn't the bullets that cause the problem, it is the gun. 

I suggest that you get a knowledgable gunsmith to polish the chamber of your weapon.

Cat Brules

Archived