SASS Wire Forum

Alpo-esque musing

I have several pairs of jeans that have watch pockets. Wonder why. Most people probably don't even know what a pocket watch is unless they're REALLY old or dress in period clothing like us weirdos. Seems kinda like putting a buggy whip socket on a new pickup. :wacko:

JHC

7 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I have several pairs of jeans that have watch pockets. Wonder why. Most people probably don't even know what a pocket watch is unless they're REALLY old or dress in period clothing like us weirdos. Seems kinda like putting a buggy whip socket on a new pickup. :wacko:

JHC

Somewhere there's a supervisor saying:  "Because we've always done it that way."

Angus

They were for the silver dollars we formerly used in the silver State of Idaho.

Back in the day, dudes were always given silver dollars for change. You couldn't find a paper one anywhere.

When I worked for the electric  RR, my RR watch went in one!

Wow, I just dated myself.

22 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

They were for the silver dollars we formerly used in the silver State of Idaho.

Back in the day, dudes were always given silver dollars for change. You couldn't find a paper one anywhere.

When I worked for the electric  RR, my RR watch went in one!

Wow, I just dated myself.

I just bought my ninth pocket watch.  I love the darn things.

I have my eye on a real RR watch given to a man who was a life long conductor on the Western Pacific.  It looks like new and they're wiggling a bit becuase I offered fifty bucks less than they are asking.  We'll see.  If they get too obstinate I'll drop my offer to sixty less.

The watch pocket is the perfect place to stash life savers and mints so that you can find them still secure in there after the pants have been laundered...very secure. :blink:

I still have my uniform jacket, vest, cap, ticket punch and watch from the interurban electric RR where I worked aeons ago. Collectors are foaming at the mouth to get them. I told my sons to hold out and use the cash for my grandchildren's college expenses. I use the cap for CAS in my USMC summer, white working uniform which works great for BP shooting.  :P

I have 2 RR pocket watches, an Illinois and a Hamilton. Both were used by my Grandfather and my wife's Grandfather. Both were 40+ year employees of The Santa Fe and Pacific Electric. They keep precise time and I wear them in a vest when I am shooting. I also carry the Hamilton in my "watch pocket in my jeans!

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

That, and the "W on the back pocket" are (as far as I can tell) the only difference between Wrangler jeans and Rustler jeans.

I wore Rustlers for years, quit buying them because they developed a nasty habit of ripping the crotch out. They are made by Wrangler, but there is a reason they're cheaper, real Wranglers are made of much stouter material. The ones I've been buying are also made by Wrangler but cheaper than the classic and more durable than Rustlers. Don't remember off hand what they're called, buy them at Wally World.

In this day and time when companies are cost cutting down to the last 1/2 penny I just find it curious that mass marketed jeans still have them. Been wearing them the last few days and I keep trying to stick my keys in the silly watch pocket. :lol: I wear jeans AND dress slacks (actually khaki colored jeans) of two different brands, than the pockets get on my nerves as the pocket openings run from vertical on some of the slacks to near horizontal on jeans. 

JHC

Like Sgt. Sabre, I found my flip phone fits nicely into the watch pocket.

I keep getting offers to "Upgrade" into something the size of the "bricks" we used to use a few decades ago, but I ain't havin' any part of those things.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

On a forum like this, I never thought I would have to explain that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSoYCetG6A&t=248s

For some reason, the forum isn't letting me imbed videos

Doc,

The Saloon has always defied logic. :D

Archived