SASS Wire Forum

Lubricating cowboy guns?

Shooting Bull

I never knew Lucas made firearm protectant. maybe that's why Amsoil started years ago, https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/100-percent-synthetic-firearm-lubricant-and-protectant/.

Interesting reading all the different materials used by everyone.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

There are some parts need Oil and some need Grease.  I've settled on Mobil 1 5w40 synthetic for oil.  A quart will go a long long long way.  I just refilled my precision oiler (empty Rem Oil thingie) for the umpteenth time and I still have the better part of a quart.  For Grease I use Mobil 1 as well.  I bought the tube of Grease about 4 or 5 years ago.  I still have about 4/5 of the original tube.  I think the tube will outlast me.

I selected Mobil 1 because they are synthetic lubricants and play well with BP and Subs.  They also play well with that heathen fad smokeless stuff.  Many swear by Balistol but I don't personally like it for anything except softening stiff boots.  Were I shooting that smokeless stuff, all it use would be Break Free and Mobil 1 Oil. 

To be specific, the lever spring and lifter springs on a '73 should have grease, not oil, where the spring end tabs articulate with the cam surfaces.  I also use grease inside the hammer plunger boring on my Single Sixes and Vaqueros.  Oil tends to run out or dry out, and the plunger easily breaks from friction against the detent pin without lubricant.  It's not a small job to pull the hammers to re-lube, so I use grease to reduce the frequency of that operation. 

To apply grease I have a 30 ml plastic veterinary syringe with no needle.  I remove the plunger and fill it from an automotive grease gun.  The small plastic nipple works great to put the exact amount of grease you want exactly where you want it -- and nowhere else.  

Ever watch Shotgun Boogie work.....  a drop of Mobil 1 here and there if it slides, spins..        I was and am a convert to Mobil 1.  As he said don't you think the automotive industry would use the best.

On all parts all I have ever used is GI issue LSA medium Weapons Oil MILSPEC L-46000B.  Great in any weather and never had a problem with it in military and 50 years  use in retirement.  Down to my last bottle.  Not worried, I may be gone before it is used up.

27 minutes ago, Lead Hammer said:

As he said don't you think the automotive industry would use the best.

They also gasket everything that uses oil to keep it in it's place.  And they circulate it with a pump.   Guns don't have either of those!  

Grease has it's use, even in autos.  Look at the ball joints and steering linkages and drive axles and CV joints.  No oil on wheel bearings either.   Many of those applications have a heavy load, slow motion, are not easily accessed,  and are exposed to dirt and weather similar to a firearm.  

All a gunsmith has to do is get the gun out the door feeling slick.  Once shots are fired, it's the customer's job to pick the right lube.

Good luck, GJ

Archived