SASS Wire Forum

Lubricating cowboy guns?

Shooting Bull

Ballistol on everything & Mobil 1 grease on internal parts that need grease .

There are some parts need Oil and some need Grease.  I've settled on Mobil 1 5w40 synthetic for oil.  A quart will go a long long long way.  I just refilled my precision oiler (empty Rem Oil thingie) for the umpteenth time and I still have the better part of a quart.  For Grease I use Mobil 1 as well.  I bought the tube of Grease about 4 or 5 years ago.  I still have about 4/5 of the original tube.  I think the tube will outlast me.

I selected Mobil 1 because they are synthetic lubricants and play well with BP and Subs.  They also play well with that heathen fad smokeless stuff.  Many swear by Balistol but I don't personally like it for anything except softening stiff boots.  Were I shooting that smokeless stuff, all it use would be Break Free and Mobil 1 Oil. 

Mobil 1 for parts that move.  Thompkins Bore Butter for bores and outside coating on gun.  I use an Outers choke tube grease on cap gun nipple threads. 

I bought a bottle of Balilstol on sale.  Just in case I run out of water.  I've not opened it yet. Kind of lost track of where it's at.

I've used Flitz on some crud on my nickel plated Colt.  Made it most shiny.  But I've been cautioned not to use it often.

Smokeless guns -

Oil for fast moving parts or parts on the outside of gun where grease would attract dust and fouling.  What's fast?   If you can't clearly see details of the moving part when it is moving at speed.    A 1911 slide moves fast, so it and the barrel bushing gets oil.  A single action hammer is exposed externally, so it gets oil.   A disconnector tip on a 1911 is not easily accessible for full grease coverage, so it gets a drop of oil instead of following the two main reasons for grease (slow moving, or internal).

Grease for slow moving (usually sliding or pivoting) internal parts.   A 73's bolt, lever, carrier, lifter move slowly and are largely internal, so they are greased, but a thin film only.  A 97's left side of carrier gets grease so it will stay put and not drip down onto hands or trigger group.  A double shotgun's locking bar and hinge pin/socket moves slow and it's internal - so grease.

My oil - cheap and easy to find - Rem Oil.  My grease - Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing.

Good luck, GJ

Shoot black.  Ballistol and water mix for cleaning, and preservation.  Weapon Shield Grease for the base pin on wheel guns as it pretty effectively seals it from excess fouling, same grease on the pivot of my SxS.  all other lubed points get Weapon Shield oil, costs a bit more, but extremely slick, and a little goes a long way.

For CAS, I use Windex with vinegar and water for cleaning, Ballistol for lube and Hoppe's gun grease for hard wearing parts.

I use Hoppe's for NRA bullseye, PPC and hunting.  That's tradition and I'm an El Rey!  :D

1 hour ago, Tucker McNeely said:

I was given some Lucas gun oil recently.  I really like that stuff.  I also agree with the other replies.

If it's the red stuff.

It's very good lube that doesn't sling off of fast mov'n parts.

OLG 

Grease if it rotates, anywhere you can't access without disassembly, or has pressure (think pins and the top of the lifter bar), oil if it slides.

Cleaning:  50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and WD40.

#1 lube:  Strike Hold.   Also an excellent cleaner.

#2 lube:  Eezox

Lucas makes some great stuff also, but I haven't used it enough to declare it better than Strike Hold.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Grease if it rotates, anywhere you can't access without disassembly, or has pressure (think pins and the top of the lifter bar), oil if it slides.

That’s odd, I had always heard the exact opposite. 

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Lucas makes some great stuff also, but I haven't used it enough to declare it better than Strike Hold.

..........Widder

#3 lube: Peanut Butter

For single action Ballistol for everything then a little Gun Butter on the pin and cylinder bushing.  For SxS clean with Ballistol and Gun Butter for hinge points.  For 1873 Ballistic for everything.  I'm shooting BP sub (APP). 

Firearm internals - White lithium grease.

From Home Depot in a tube.

Externals - off brand aerosol sprays or drip tubes.

For my car; I'll run Mobil 1.

For firearms that need ongoing  replenishment - I refuse to pay 10x the price for 1/10th the product.

In my opinion, (and I might be wrong - I commonly am) unless you have an enclosed system to contain it and a method to return it to a given surface (as in your car with a oil pump and pan) oil is for rust prevention and short term lubrication (short term; meaning basically the X number of movements required to displace the oil {hence the oil pump to replenish the lube prior to the number of movements required to displace}).

Oil does not penetrate steel and without the physical "bulk/ presence" (I'm sure there is a scientific term for this - I just don't know it) and the surface tension (cling) of grease; metal to metal surface drag quickly eliminates that film or float of oil.  

So as Danny said to Sandy.

Grease is the word.

11 hours ago, WOLFY said:

I don’t shoot the holy black.  break free seems to keep my guns running well

+10000       I love that stuff! I use it for all my guns cowboy and modern.;)

For wiping the guns down, WD-40. It gets any moisture off the gun and seems to evaporate off so I don’t have slippery guns.

For cleaning and primary lubrication, Breakfree CLP. That’s what Harlan told me to use on my ‘73 and he certainly knows more about the subject than I do.

For a little ‘extra’ lube on selected internals I’ve been using the same tube of Outers for the last 10 or 15 years.

For my car, 10 quarts of 0W40 Dexos 2 whenever it tells me it needs it.

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

MMO & WD-40 are both mineral oil based.

Instead of WD-40, use Turpentine 

Dexton 3 automatic transmission oil in place of MMO also works very well 50/50 mixed with Turpentine. 

OLG 

Fortunately, most firearms needs for lubrication are not too tough, so we can get buy with rather limited ability lubricants - such as mineral oil (Ballistal). But they are not the best lubes available.

As others have said, grease is a much superior lubricant, but not applicable where too much crud can accumulate.   But they work great for internal, especially where ever higher pressure is involved.

I like the synthetic oils (and grease).  For the money Mobil 1 is very good.  Lucas stuff and others is also very good.  Eezox is fine, but I prefer Frog Lube or Seal 1 for a general lubricant and especially rust preventative (one of the very best).  I was surprised to see how good Frog Lube and Seal 1 are  - excellent rust prevention and some of the top for reducing friction.

Research lubrication for bicycles as they require top quality lubrication.

I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil for decades.  An old gunsmith turned me on to it.  Here in the southwest dust is an issue so light applications of oil works  best due to the dust being everywhere.   I believe that there are times when I sneeze you can see the dust flying out of my lungs.  Another option is Hornady One Shot Lube, I use it in especially harsh conditions.  Your geographic location should dictate how much you use, too much dust and moisture are both bad.   That's what works for me..... 

Careful with WD40 it will penetrate primers pockets and make the primer inert.

Were I spending an inordinate amount of time in a dusty environment (and I have) I like Boshield T-9.  Prevents rust, evaporates to a dry lube that doesn't attract dust and stuff.  Incidentally, for the interior surface of a Magazine Tube, T-9 is absolutely Wunderbar!!

I do like the Mobile 1 family.

My issue was the magazine tube. Find a good lube while not contaminating the primers or gumming up the spring.

Liked the Eezox for that. It did irritate, made my skin red and the fumes were a bit harsh (my opinion only)

Went to Frog Lube. Really like that stuff. Especially if you shoot BP/APP. A coat inside the shotgun barrels makes cleanup easier.

Just for fun, I dosed the magazine tubes and springs with Hornady One Shot Case Lube. If it lubes the cases for resizing, it should work well in the mag tube. No dissing the Frog Lube, just like to keep my options open in case a supplier is sold out of any one thing. The One Shot has worked very well.

A couple of pards are now using Q Maxx Black Diamond and swear by it. Have not tried it myself.

8 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

That’s odd, I had always heard the exact opposite. 

Grease is for where the lubrication needs to stick and generally inaccessible, oil is for where it can be easily replenished from tim to time.

2 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil for decades.  An old gunsmith turned me on to it.  Here in the southwest dust is an issue so light applications of oil works  best due to the dust being everywhere.   I believe that there are times when I sneeze you can see the dust flying out of my lungs.  Another option is Hornady One Shot Lube, I use it in especially harsh conditions.  Your geographic location should dictate how much you use, too much dust and moisture are both bad.   That's what works for me..... 

Careful with WD40 it will penetrate primers pockets and make the primer inert.

Any oil/solvent will do that too. ;)

OLG 

2 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I do like the Mobile 1 family.

My issue was the magazine tube. Find a good lube while not contaminating the primers or gumming up the spring.

Liked the Eezox for that. It did irritate, made my skin red and the fumes were a bit harsh (my opinion only)

Went to Frog Lube. Really like that stuff. Especially if you shoot BP/APP. A coat inside the shotgun barrels makes cleanup easier.

Just for fun, I dosed the magazine tubes and springs with Hornady One Shot Case Lube. If it lubes the cases for resizing, it should work well in the mag tube. No dissing the Frog Lube, just like to keep my options open in case a supplier is sold out of any one thing. The One Shot has worked very well.

A couple of pards are now using Q Maxx Black Diamond and swear by it. Have not tried it myself.

Barricade works really well for inside magazine tubes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1556184523

Randy

18 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Do you use one lube for everything or do you use grease for some things and oil for other things? How do you decide which to use where? 

I was taught to use oil on rotating parts and grease on sliding parts.
Test data is available that details the seizing strength of various greases and oils.

Tetra gun grease seized at a 160 lb load.
Bonanza case sizing lube at 118 lb load.
EEzox at 85 lbs.
Break Free CLP at 65 pounds
Hoppe #9 bore cleaner at 10 lbs.

Archived